Lower back pump/cramp help

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Is Taurine still the supplement to use for lower back pumps/cramps?

I lately got some crippling cramps in my lower back when I doing legs. It’s annoying and I’m not sure where it’s coming from.

I’m not taking anything that would cause it (I think), TRT and low dose Deca/Eq (250/200) and 50mg Proviron.

Last edited:
botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Are you getting enough water / have you increased your water along with your anabolic intake?

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Are you getting enough water / have you increased your water along with your anabolic intake?
It could possibly be a cause, I lift within an hour or 2 of waking up so I probably haven’t been drinking enough.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Try to get Well hydrated, lots of people swear by taurine but it doesn't seem to help me. Usually the heavier I get the more back pumps I get.

John Meadows used to say that doing some crunches will draw the blood to your abdominals and pull it away from your lower back, I don't know how true that is but it might be worth a try.

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Add some a good oral like dbol or anadrol..lol. no for real taurine is the answer but like @Smont said it doesn't work for everyone so just the hydration/electrolyte thing. Maybe put some rock salt in your pre-workout? That seems to be popular

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Try to get Well hydrated, lots of people swear by taurine but it doesn't seem to help me. Usually the heavier I get the more back pumps I get.

John Meadows used to say that doing some crunches will draw the blood to your abdominals and pull it away from your lower back, I don't know how true that is but it might be worth a try.
Yeah it’s probably a hydration issue, I’ll try to drink more and start my leg day with some abs, thanks.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Add some a good oral like dbol or anadrol..lol. no for real taurine is the answer but like @Smont said it doesn't work for everyone so just the hydration/electrolyte thing. Maybe put some rock salt in your pre-workout? That seems to be popular
I’ll try that, thanks.

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I’m going to cast my vote for team taurine. Always worked for me with those superdrol back pumps. A decent electrolyte beverage can help too. I really like Drips I think it’s called or liquid IV is good too

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Actually I would add all suggested, because it works for me. Increase water intake for hydration, I like to add Pink Himalayan Salt, Taurine, and some electrolytes has been my go to when I start experiencing back pumps or any cramps. It seems to cover everything really well, although the John Meadows crunches does make sense.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It could possibly be a cause, I lift within an hour or 2 of waking up so I probably haven’t been drinking enough.
Agree with everything else,…but curious what kind of warmup are you doing? Might just not be active enough, before training?
Low intensity elliptical or incline walking (valet jog 🤣) might help!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Agree with everything else,…but curious what kind of warmup are you doing? Might just not be active enough, before training?

That guy is pretty funny. I way dying when I saw this the very first time on netflix.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

When I’m doing Deadlifts or legs I always warmup with sprints, light stretching and back extensions to make sure my lower is loose enough to start. Done the same warmup for awhile and it haven’t been an issue before. This part is the only thing I’m pretty sure it’s not the issue.

Btw that guy is funny

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Actually I would add all suggested, because it works for me. Increase water intake for hydration, I like to add Pink Himalayan Salt, Taurine, and some electrolytes has been my go to when I start experiencing back pumps or any cramps. It seems to cover everything really well, although the John Meadows crunches does make sense.
I just ordered some Taurine, hopefully that’ll help, I will also try to be more hydrated and add the salt, thanks.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Pardon a bit of ignorance (since I don't have as much knowledge on enhanced use), but are back pumps from hormonal use often caused by different things than someone who is not taking anything? I remember lots of anectdotal reports of individuals "suffering" more from this with certain anabolics.

I ask because if it is, then sorry I can't be of as much help, but if it can be similar to what non-enhanced athletes deal with doing legs or deadlift/hinging like movements causing issues then I can offer some insight.

Sorry don't mean to derail hope you find a good solution.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Pardon a bit of ignorance (since I don't have as much knowledge on enhanced use), but are back pumps from hormonal use often caused by different things than someone who is not taking anything? I remember lots of anectdotal reports of individuals "suffering" more from this with certain anabolics.

I ask because if it is, then sorry I can't be of as much help, but if it can be similar to what non-enhanced athletes deal with doing legs or deadlift/hinging like movements causing issues then I can offer some insight.

Sorry don't mean to derail hope you find a good solution.
That’s the thing, I’m not taking anything that should make me cramp, orals can do this but Proviron shouldn’t, plus I’m on low dose of everything.

I think it could be an issue with not being enough hydrated and also that I just started doing high rep training to failure, I’m not used to that… hold on, when I’m thinking about it that’s probably the issue, lol, I just answered my own question… 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That’s the thing, I’m not taking anything that should make me cramp, orals can do this but Proviron shouldn’t, plus I’m on low dose of everything.

I think it could be an issue with not being enough hydrated and also that I just started doing high rep training to failure, I’m not used to that… hold on, when I’m thinking about it that’s probably the issue, lol, I just answered my own question… I’m stupid… 🤦🏻‍♂️
Ok I'll come back when free later there are some "theoretical" things that can help depending on the real cause of the issue. I'll post them up because maybe they can help others. Especially because the high rep stuff would be inline with what I am thinking.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ok I'll come back when free later there are some "theoretical" things that can help depending on the real cause of the issue. I'll post them up because maybe they can help others. Especially because the high rep stuff would be inline with what I am thinking.
Cool, looking forward to it, thanks.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I didn't forget about this thread, I just have been super busy AND I wrote way too much, but I'll hopefully have time to post soon.

Hope back pumps haven't been too bad for you lately though!

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I didn't forget about this thread, I just have been super busy AND I wrote way too much, but I'll hopefully have time to post soon.

Hope back pumps haven't been too bad for you lately though!
Haha, it’s ok, I understand, take your time.

It’s actually only when I do legs (high reps to failure) the lower back cramping starts, if I do upper body I’m fine. Tomorrow morning I have legs and I’m out of town so wish me luck.

Eclipse

Eclipse

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Is Taurine still the supplement to use for lower back pumps/cramps?

I lately got some crippling cramps in my lower back when I doing legs. It’s annoying and I’m not sure where it’s coming from.

I’m not taking anything that would cause it (I think), TRT and low dose Deca/Eq (250/200) and 50mg Proviron.
You could try dead hanging. What you do is get in resting position of a pullup and let gravity pull your lower back down for a few seconds

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m going to cast my vote for team taurine. Always worked for me with those superdrol back pumps. A decent electrolyte beverage can help too. I really like Drips I think it’s called or liquid IV is good too
Liquid IV has become a staple for me.
It saves my bacon sometimes.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ok annoyingly long post incoming. Sorry I put this off because the more I thought the less I thought it would actually be helpful. I'll post anyways with a couple caveats.

1) Sorry if it isn't in line with what you needed, I got a bit off tangent.

2) Specific approaches to fix this can be quite individual and I can go into more if anyone does actually care or is interested in the minutia here.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ok so again I want to preface this with a couple things.

1) I don't have anabolic use or tons of experience with individuals who do, so I can't guarantee this advice will be as helpful for those individuals. Stuff about possible kidney implications are beyond the scope of this post.

2) These ideas aren't things I came up with myself, but I have experimented with the ideas and have others who have as well with decent success. It also probably isn't 100% applicable to bodybuilders, but figure any help could at least be useful. If anyone wants more specifics I can lead them where to look.

My thoughts might be a bit sporadic to as I spent a bit of time (too much now haha) thinking how this could connect with anabolic use, but I probably don't know enough to make concrete connections.

2) First, low back pumps can be from a host of things but with higher rep movements or in combination (circuits) with other movements this issue can be quite hard to deal with for some.

I don't want to get too sciencey, especially as some of this is a bit more conjecture like, but maybe a quick pump reasoning breakdown can help explain why in some situations this is happening.

When you exercise blood flows to the muscle, when you contract a muscle it should help facilitate sending blood back to the heart (via venous return, anyone interested can google Skeletal Muscle Pump for more info).

Theoretically bodybuilders or strength athletes tend to have systems where they have very strong muscles, at least in comparison to their hearts, so getting pumps is "easier" for them in this scenario. Their weaker cardiac systems though lead them to being more prone to this though (and when looking for building muscle and the possible benefits of increased "metabolic stress" this isn't a bad thing in certain scenarios).

Generally though with enough rest or proper cardiac strength the pump will dissipate. For reasons I haven't totally been able to figure out yet lower back musculature seems to have a more innate issue in regards to gaining and then not being able to resolve this blood flow (and some individuals seem to get this issue in other muscles to a lesser degree).

Why is this more prone to happen in individuals with anabolic use? Honestly I don't know. Increases in blood pressure? Changes in blood volume? Something else? Regardless there is a possibility these may tie into just a more exaggerated response similar to what even non-enhanced athletes struggle with.

Next that leaves us with what can we do? Again if it isn't due to the above reasons then some of the other possible solutions outlined by others may be of use, but if it is related to more muscular pump issues then here are some suggestions.

Things to keep in mind...we are going to assume this is more in isolation (it doesn't sound like most people with these issues mentioned on these boards at least are doing big circuits or crossfit style work, which may require different style work to fix).

First, it could just be conditioning. As alluded to above it could just be a matter of the heart not being strong enough to "fight" the level of the muscle pump. This isn't usually as common in isolation, but for people who heavily neglect cardio it could.

Next, is it your coordination or mechanics?

Now this isn't to say individuals form is wrong and the issue (although it may), but to just maybe highlight that in longer duration/higher repetition sets smaller deviations in form may "chip away" and turn into a bigger issue than say a lower repetition high effort set.

It could be a ton of things, but biggest offenders I've found are either coordination (which may shift as higher reps are done), mobility/stability in either the lumbar and/or thoracic spine, and/or how these relate with your breathing.

You may find if you have poor thoracic mobility or you over arch in your "reaching" back (depending on squat style) a higher repetition style set may be part of the cause of the increased pump. In conjunction if you can't maintain proper breathing through the diaphragm on these high rep sets you may find yourself being forced into poor positions as the set duration increases.

I am rambling a bit now, but hope that gets people thinking a bit and you can maybe see how inter-related all that is. If you have worse cardio you'll probably have more issues with breathing for example.

Fixes can be pretty individual, but for me personally I had good positions, good mechanics, and saw biggest improvements from increased cardiac abilities and dedicated breathe work, but again my use case was probably quite different as well.

Sorry for the ramble and long post and super long delay as well.