REVERSE PYRMAMID Training?

Masster

Awards
I have been doing regular pyramid training for quite a few months now and have hit a roadblock. Would switching to reverse pyramids be enough of a shock to the system to spur growth again?

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Id imagine switching to anything for a while would help.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Try using the same weight. That seems to help me. Doing more sets with a medium weight.

A reverse pyramid isnt a bad idea. Just be careful, if your not warmed up, doing your max first might strain something

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Drop sets are a good way to change everything up. Like futurepilot said, make sure you do at least 1 or 2 warmup sets.

For example, on Incline DB press I do 20s and 40s for warmup then start with 85s and work down to 60s.

Masster

Awards
Drop sets are a good way to change everything up. Like futurepilot said, make sure you do at least 1 or 2 warmup sets.

For example, on Incline DB press I do 20s and 40s for warmup then start with 85s and work down to 60s.
That's pretty much what I just started doing last workout for chest. Started with incline bb and after warmup did 8x225, 10x205, 12x185, and 15@165. Did the same for the rest of my chest workout. Felt great doing the heavy weight while I was still fresh. Usually only able to do 3-4 @225 and was nice to put up 8 to start it off.

JDF

Awards
  • Established
Change up your split if you want to see growth again

If your doing 3x a week TTB then switch it up to possibly 5x a week concentrating on a single BP

Masster

Awards
Change up your split if you want to see growth again

If your doing 3x a week TTB then switch it up to possibly 5x a week concentrating on a single BP
doing 4-5 right now depending on schedule. Few months back went to 6/a week hitting everything 2/week and that was working out great but didn't work out too well with family life.

JDF

Awards
  • Established
6days a week is intense especially if you already have a hectic schedule.

Why not look into something like HST and do 3days a week?

When I switched from a single BP/day routine to full body HST I was honestly amazed at how quickly my body was changing. Im 26 and dont need to bench 400lbs or dead 450+, i'd rather have some nice size and get lean :cheers:

travis0712

travis0712

Awards
JDF... you mind posting your workout example? I would love to see it.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
If you like doing pyramids, try wave loading. You do sets of 7>5>3>7>5>3
For example a typical bench may look like:
145x7 155x5 165x3 155x7 165x5 175x3 You keep going until you can't get your rep count with a certain weight.

JDF

Awards
  • Established
JDF... you mind posting your workout example? I would love to see it.

Squat - 2 WU sets and 1 working
SLDL - 1 WU and 1 working
Flat bench - 2 WU and 1 working
Dips - 1 WU and 1 working
Pull ups - 1 WU and 1 working
Bent over rows - 1 or 2 working ( depending on weight ) and 1 working
DB shrugs - 1 working
Hammer curls - 1 working
Calf raises - 1 WU and 1 working

This set up is 15-10-6-3-SD

Google HST and you can find more info on what its all about, im at work and behind on things right now or i'd go into more detail :run:

travis0712

travis0712

Awards
JDF... "This set up is 15-10-6-3-SD"

With this, I am confused. I thought you said one working set... the above looks like you use drop sets - and if so - do you increase weight on those drop sets?

JDF

Awards
  • Established
JDF... "This set up is 15-10-6-3-SD"

With this, I am confused. I thought you said one working set... the above looks like you use drop sets - and if so - do you increase weight on those drop sets?

HST is broken up by 2 week mesocycles

15 reps for 2 weeks

10 reps for 2 weeks

6 reps for 2 weeks

3 reps for 2 weeks

Its based on a couple of different principles the main one being progressive resistance. The body doesnt need to lift its max everytime to grow it simply needs to lift heavier and heavier weight, example:

15 Rep Mesocycle or 15 reps of each exercise

First Week

Squats ( W/O #1 ) - 100lbs

Squats ( W/O #2 ) - 110lbs

Squats ( W/O #3 ) - 120lbs

Second Week

Squats ( W/O #4 ) - 130lbs

Squats ( W/O #5 ) - 140lbs

Squats ( W/O #6 ) - 150lbs

W/O #6 should be your 15rep max and will be the last W/O of the mesocycle.

There are better explainations on the actual HST website which I suggest you go over and read.

I really enjoy the total body W/Os and it frees up a lot of other time outside of the gym, + the full body pumps are insane and I look insanely big by the time I finish

LSU Gladiator

LSU Gladiator

Awards
Try using the same weight. That seems to help me. Doing more sets with a medium weight.
This is good advice, try 3 sets of 8-12 reps @ 70-80% of your 1RM. Keep the rest around 1 minute between sets.

IMPORTANTLY: If you're working out the same bodypart multiple times in a week, try a few times in the week to continue to lift the weight at the same max intensity as before.

Ex: If you're pyramiding up to 100lb dumbbells on db press for a set of 6, then starting now you can go ahead and get warmed up then knock out a set of 6 with the 100 lb dumbbells, and for the next 3 sets shoot for 8-12 reps with the 70-80 lb dumbbells.

If you're used to pyramiding up to the 100 lb dumbbells for sets of 6, then you switch to lower weight but higher rep routine, ultimately you will lose some strength. If this is the case then the next time you get back to a pyramid routine and try the 100s, you won't be able to get as many reps as before. Remember that the most "unforgiving" element of training is your intensity. Go ahead and knock out the first set at your current training intensity, just to preserve your hard fought strength. Once that set is out of the way you can feel free to experiment however you wish: whether it is a reverse pyramid or same weight for multiple sets (aka static load).

Now, conversely, you may be in an overtraining rut. Consider taking off a week or two off if an honest self evaluation says you're overdoing it.