Correct form for Skull Crushers?

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Everyone says to keep your arms straight but what feels natural is a slight angle(elbows out just a bit) which is also a little easier.
In pictures I have seen it also shows a slight angle. So what is correct? Should I keep my elbows completely straight or have them out just a bit.
I use a super-ez-curl bar.

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
Having your arms at a slight angle will increase the amount of stress the weight exterts on your triceps. However, it will also add extra stress to your elbows and personally, I find this variation painful. You also should try to keep the elbows in on both variations. You could try both and choose which one effects your triceps more.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Straight is way better for your elbows, but harder (you can do less weight) to do as well.

MB

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I do skull crushers in a way that barely activates my lats. I find the stress on the elbow joint is too great if the humerus is kept perpendicular to the floor. I'd say I go about 10-15 degrees slant toward my head. As for flaring the elbows, I believe when using the EZ bar that's not too necessary, unless you're trying to activate the long head of the triceps more toward the shoulder joint. If that's the case I'd say a slight flaring of the elbows could help.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I think a slight angle is natural. I keep mine pretty straight, but they are just a tad off.

Maybe trying different grip widths will help you obtain a desirable angle.

A bit off-topic, but I agree that keeping the upper arms perpedicular to the floor and bringing the weight to the 'skull' does not work as well as letting your arms go back a little bit and bring the bar over the top of your head.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
My elbows point out a bit also. I wonder if using a belt or something wrapped around the arms would help keep the elbows in place... I'm sure this is not a new idea. I think I'll try it at home and see if it works.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Now that's gettin' crazy. Do it!

My elbows point out a bit also. I wonder if using a belt or something wrapped around the arms would help keep the elbows in place... I'm sure this is not a new idea. I think I'll try it at home and see if it works.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see what you are saying with the description.

But obviously by the videos they are two different exercises. One IS a skull crusher (barbell coming crushing down onto forehead) and the other is a lying tricep extension.

There is significant differences in forms, techniques, muscles recruited and most dramatically the weight that can be used to perform either in the right form.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I posted that before I saw that you had also linked to the normal Tricep Extension.

That is one thing that bugs me... links look like regular text. I wish they could at least me italicized, alternate color, something differing them from regular text.

Thanks for the links, B. I love that site. I just dove into some of the more technical stuff (stuff I can't pronounce LOL).

I see what you are saying with the description.

But obviously by the videos they are two different exercises. One IS a skull crusher (barbell coming crushing down onto forehead) and the other is a lying tricep extension.

There is significant differences in forms, techniques, muscles recruited and most dramatically the weight that can be used to perform either in the right form.