Should I stop deadlifting?

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
I have recurring back pain/injury that gets aggravated from deadlifting. It happened again today. I was in the negative part of the rep when I felt the lower right part of my back give out or weaken. I was still able to execute the rest of the set(probably a mistake) but for the rest of the day I have been experiencing pain in that lower right part of my back. For example, if I were to bend down to touch my toes, it would hurt pretty bad. That area of my back just seems vulnerable to this type of flare up. Sometimes I can go through 3 or 4 months of pain free deadlifting but i always seem to reaggravate this injury and it really takes all the fun out of deadlifting when it happens. I am aware of the value of the deadlift and would hate to have to stop doing them. However, I am concerned with this back pain.Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
haha welcome to my life for last 5years . gluck

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
I have recurring back pain/injury that gets aggravated from deadlifting. It happened again today. I was in the negative part of the rep when I felt the lower right part of my back give out or weaken. I was still able to execute the rest of the set(probably a mistake) but for the rest of the day I have been experiencing pain in that lower right part of my back. For example, if I were to bend down to touch my toes, it would hurt pretty bad. That area of my back just seems vulnerable to this type of flare up. Sometimes I can go through 3 or 4 months of pain free deadlifting but i always seem to reaggravate this injury and it really takes all the fun out of deadlifting when it happens. I am aware of the value of the deadlift and would hate to have to stop doing them. However, I am concerned with this back pain.Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
i empathize man, i have the same problem. a couple months back i was deadlifting heavy when my lower back gave out as i was picking up the wegiht for the first rep. i managed to get 4 reps b4 i decided it was pointless to go on cuz my back was killing me. after that i could not stand up straight and had trouble walking.

my general rule? if it hurts, STOP. LB pain is serious and you definitely don't want to screw up your back. Let it heal or just go very light w the deadlifting. it's not that essential that you have to hurt yourself over it.

try taking lots of Cissus. that might help alleviate some of the pain. i noticed that on Incarnate my back pain isn't as intense, though from time to time i do get that nagging dull pain. it's annoying, but figure this... if it's bad now, just think of how much worse it can/ will get if you aggravate it further.

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
Start with the simple modifications.

Try using a belt if you aren't already. I've read a lot of debates on the subject but I find my back does much better when I wear one.

I've also found that wearing a flat style of shoe or no shoe at all seems to help me. Seems to allow me to put the force under my heels instead of the balls of my feet.

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
Thank you guys for the suggestions. I will def take them into consideration and proceed with caution.

freqfly

freqfly

Awards
  • Established
Just be careful, try a belt. If it doesn't help, substitute something else in place of dead lifts. Take it from someone who has broken their back twice, I get to live with back pain for the rest of my life. Just take it easy bro~

badbart

badbart

Awards
  • Established
I quit doling deads it seems my back and whole body hate deads, squats seem fine but deads hurt my hip and back.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Be very careful man it is very easy to do some serious damage very quickly with deads. From the sounds of you not being able to bend forward it could even be a bulging disc or something along those lines.

The only way to put your self in the best position for the safest deadlifting is to NEVER let your form go. I tried pushing myself one time and sacraficed form for reps in the gym and Im feeling the effects now, it is very easy to think that your just pushing your body past a threshold but it is a very thin line between that and a non desired bodily position.

I would say if you like doing deads (and your going decently heavy, or even if you want to go light) invest in a quality belt (like inzer) and make sure your in perfect position for the entire lift. I know deads are great for core work but you can do extra core work on the side.

As long as you lift smart you will be fine (if you ever feel a strange pain or something odd ~ DROP THE WEIGHT.) Just want to reiterate lift safe because in the blink of an eye you can be staring down the barrel of some nasty back problems.

texxlnghorn

Awards
Yea deadlifts are one of the greatest exercises for overall mass.
But there is a risk vs. reward.

I haven't done d.l. in the past few years either because they always seem to hurt my back.
Yea if i stay light and go no heavier than 315 i'm ok, but i can't ever go over 405 with a pulling something.

I'm never going to compete so i gave them up.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Lighter weight + better form = better results + no injury

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
My back is feeling a good bit better today. i actually made it out to golf 9 holes without too much pain. It's still a little sore but i think it will feel much better after another day or two. Thank you guys for all the feedback. I'm gonna try only deadlifting every 10 days or so as long as my back is not still hurting 8 days from now. I definetely don't want a serious injury that takes me away from the gym for a long time. That would really suck.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Lighter weight + better form = better results + no injury
So true.

I have been battling lower back pain for well over a year now but I've made some good progress lately by training light and concentrating on maintaining proper form in AND out of the gym.

Proper form is where your lower back has a slight curvature (aka neutral spine) not flat. Personally I have to exaggerate this for deads and squats (gut out and butt back). However outside the gym my abs were too tight and my lower back was too straight and, I am assuming, never getting a chance to heal. Putting light partial deads and partial squats back in the routine, stretching out my abs and working on posture outside the gym has made a big improvement for me.

HTH

swanee609

swanee609

Awards
jsut try less weight and do rdls to build ur back up. and were a belt