Changing my routine, any insight would help

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I like to change my routine around every 3 or 4 months. My current routine has worked out well, but like I said I like to change things up. This is what I am planning on doing for the next few months, I figured I would post it up and get some feedback about possible changes.

1 Quads/Biceps/Calves
2 Chest/Abs
3 Delts/Traps/Forearms/Abs/ Cardio
4 Hams/Triceps/L.Back/Calves
5 Back/Abs/Calves
6 Cardio/Abs/Calves

I have a really nicely color coded spreadsheet but it won't let me upload it (probably cuz im at work)...but let me know what you guys think.

rocketscientist

Awards
I like to change my routine around every 3 or 4 months. My current routine has worked out well, but like I said I like to change things up. This is what I am planning on doing for the next few months, I figured I would post it up and get some feedback about possible changes.

1 Quads/Biceps/Calves
2 Chest/Abs
3 Delts/Traps/Forearms/Abs/ Cardio
4 Hams/Triceps/L.Back/Calves
5 Back/Abs/Calves
6 Cardio/Abs/Calves

I have a really nicely color coded spreadsheet but it won't let me upload it (probably cuz im at work)...but let me know what you guys think.

You do like the gym, don't you :)

With that volume (6 day split, or am I reading this wrong?) you really need to watch what you're doing. You have chest day followed by delts next day (followed by tric.) - all work similar muscle groups unless you use pure isolation movements. You may want to see if exchanging day 5 with day 3 is more beneficial. But I haven't done the math on that...

I find routines like that too confusing. I personally would throw in more rest days (or cardio-only days). But then... I am old and need to rest a lot. Depending on your recovery ability and the effort you put into your workouts you might be good with this type of program. Give it a try for a week or two and see how it goes. If it don't feel right, don't be afraid to scrap it and try something else. That's really the only way to find out what works for you, given that there are advocates for anything from twice a day to twice a month...

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I would definately call myself a gym rat.

I like the idea of switching 3 and 5. I'm going to look into this...