Changing Routines

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
For those that follow true workout routines/plans, how often do you change it up?

Burnfire

Burnfire

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Every 10 weeks or so I like to change things up. I'm currently using PHAT training and liking it.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For those that follow true workout routines/plans, how often do you change it up?
After 3-6 months I might do one month of contrast training. That's about it. If what I am doing already works well, I see no reason to change it unless you just get bored easily.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Every 10 weeks or so I like to change things up. I'm currently using PHAT training and liking it.
Have to research that, I know Layne is very bright but I am still skeptical...

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Whats there to be sceptical about with PHAT?

Burnfire

Burnfire

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Second time as well for me using the program. The first was great! I'm ending this time around as well, currently been using about 8 weeks. I'll switch out a few exercises here and there.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
The volume. Not everyone can recover properly. Especially if you're natural, have ecto tendencies, and are 40+.
Youre meaning the example in the simplyshredded article?

Layne said that the core of the program can be fleshed out innumerable ways, and the way he did it in that article is just one example.

Further to what ma70 noted, PHAT is essentially an "upper lower push pull legs", sort of. Another key variable is the non-linear periodisation, but as you might imagine there are any number of ways you can flesh out the basic skeleton.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The volume. Not everyone can recover properly. Especially if you're natural, have ecto tendencies, and are 40+.
Then do less volume/exercises. It's a template. If you've been working out for a decent amount of time, you should have an idea of what you can recover from and adjust accordingly.

pro45

Awards
Then do less volume/exercises. It's a template. If you've been working out for a decent amount of time, you should have an idea of what you can recover from and adjust accordingly.
You guys are misunderstanding me. I don't use this program or its variants. I simply am saying that the program, as written by Norton, is too much for the natural lifter. If you want to make adjustments, that's fine.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You guys are misunderstanding me. I don't use this program or its variants. I simply am saying that the program, as written by Norton, is too much for the natural lifter. If you want to make adjustments, that's fine.
It's a template though, not a program. There's no misunderstanding here.

pro45

Awards
It's a template though, not a program. There's no misunderstanding here.
Actually, it is a program as written. Several years ago Layne suggested this same routine to a couple of bodybuilders who I competed with back in 2010. It can also double as a template, if you so desire.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Actually, it is a program as written. Several years ago Layne suggested this same routine to a couple of bodybuilders who I competed with back in 2010. It can also double as a template, if you so desire.
Ok.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
If we are talking in terms of sweeping generalisations: people will adapt to the volume given time, natural or not.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
I agree. Except when you get to be my age. Lol...
Dunno what youve found but as Ive gotten older (early 40s here) decreasing session volume and increasing bout frequency has reaped the best rewards.

pro45

Awards
Dunno what youve found but as Ive gotten older (early 40s here) decreasing session volume and increasing bout frequency has reaped the best rewards.
Push/Pull works well 2x per week with diminished volume. During my competitive career (my last show was in 2010) I trained using many different types of training. Including some of Ellington Darden's routines. I've done German Volume and overtrained horribly even with hypo-caloric calories.

Besides GV, I've done just about everything and they all work if done with intensity and with the proper nutrition and sleep.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not a fan of push pull. Not saying it doesn't work...I know for many people it does work. I just don't like it. I usually rotate between 4-6 routines throughout the year. DC, 5x5, GVT, and a few that I have created.