pain in forearms

bosco

bosco

Awards
  • Established
I just got done w/ my bicep/forearm workout and there's a throbbing pain on the outside of my forearm where the bone runs along. I talked to one of the trainers there and he said could be tendonitis, but wasn't sure. Any ideas?

My workout today consisted of:

4x6 barbell curl
4x6 preacher curl
4x6 dumbbell curl
3x15 wrist curl
4x6 reverse curl

The trainer also mentioned that I may have put too much stress while doing barbell curls. Gonna lay off the barbell for now.. and take tomorrow off to see if it eases up.

Quaid

Awards
That happens to me when using barbells as well. Doesnt seem to bother me at all when i use dbells.

ThaBlitz

Awards
Yea its tendonitis i have the same thing and it dosent hurt with db only bb for me too. Even Ez-Bar hurts a little. Get used to it. I have to take advil for it.

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
i have this same thing when i do heavy curls....my chiropractor said it was stress on the bone; gets kinda scary sometimes during really heavy lifts, it mostly sets in when i set the weight down though

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yea its tendonitis i have the same thing and it dosent hurt with db only bb for me too. Even Ez-Bar hurts a little. Get used to it. I have to take advil for it.
Stay off the NSAIDS for workout related pain bro - stuff is bad for your kidneys in the long term.

I think the pain in the forearms is due to inflammation of the interosseous membrane, which is a sheet of connective fibers that distributes a load evenly across the radius and ulna. I used to get it bad and still do from time to time - its a searing pain right along or between those bones as soon as you let go of the bar after doing heavy curls.

Best way to cure it is to strengthen the forearm muscles and use ice immediately after your workout to reduce any inflammation.

If it hurts real bad, do your curls with a French Bar. Keep strap use to a minimum and work your forearms independently. Using Cissus Quadrangularis may help to speed recovery. Wrapping your forearms/wrist may also help - but you want your bones and connective tissue to be able to handle the weight on their own ideally. When you can do curls again without pain, work back in with higher reps (15,12,10) - I believe this is better for connective tissue recovery.

It takes time -I used to get this pain constantly when I first started lifting. and only experience now on the heaviest sets.

BV

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
This is exactly what I've had since 17 years old (I'm 34 now). It wrecked my ability to do curls until last year. I was doing straight bar curls with 150lbs and got stuck half way up. I didn't give up and struggled to get my rep but I failed. From that point on, I had the problem..

Use the EZBar for curls. Hold off on straight bars for awhile. It got so bad for me that even dumbell curls hurt. I couldn't supinate (turn my wrist out) at all. And yes, it hurt mostly when I released my hand from the weight - but was very, very distracting while lifting..

You should also stay away from pullups where your wrists are facing you.

The cure? For me, it was a strap that wraps around my wrist/forearm and holds secure with velcro. There's a hole to stick your thumb through and you wrap it around tightly. I wish I could show you a picture - I just went and looked but came up empty.. But, it works and I've been able to lift without any issue... If anyone else knows what I'm talking about, please post up a picture or a link...

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Guys try this... I had the same thing, and took advice from a ton of people who had no idea what they were talking about, doctors included. What I did, and it worked for me, was to warmup the forearms before doing biceps, and I'd hit forearms like 2x/week.

To warm up the forearms I'd do wrist curls both ways w/ 5lb. DBs (with palms facing toward each other and with palms facing up). And when I'd hit forearms I'd do sitting straight bar wrist curls for high reps. After like 3 weeks the pain was completely gone and I haven't had any pain since. The light work on your forearms is what develops the tendon strength in there, which is most likely the source of your pain. Let me know if this helps!

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
He speaks wisely. This should do the trick nicely. But it's not an overnight thing....

Guys try this... I had the same thing, and took advice from a ton of people who had no idea what they were talking about, doctors included. What I did, and it worked for me, was to warmup the forearms before doing biceps, and I'd hit forearms like 2x/week.

To warm up the forearms I'd do wrist curls both ways w/ 5lb. DBs (with palms facing toward each other and with palms facing up). And when I'd hit forearms I'd do sitting straight bar wrist curls for high reps. After like 3 weeks the pain was completely gone and I haven't had any pain since. The light work on your forearms is what develops the tendon strength in there, which is most likely the source of your pain. Let me know if this helps!

acudave

Awards
Bosco,
Vary the position of your palms when doing bicep work, and lat work, and possibly trap work. Go light, stay in a pain free zone. Use weights and reps where you feel absolutely nothing. Have you tried acupuncture? Try using mild analgesics like Tiger Balm, White Flower, Arnica, or Emu Oil. I've used alot of different things. Cut down on your intensity and volume of work. Any forearm work? Be patient.

Freak30

Awards
I am glad I found this thread. I hadn't talked to anyone that had this. I get it bad when doing straight bars. I just layed off the straight bars for a couple weeks and it pretty much went away. (until I started doing straight bars again that is)

I will try the forearm work and see if that helps. I really like straight bars, and would like to be able to do them.

Good posting

osr436

Awards
Everyone

I had the same thing a few years back. You might not believe this but what it turned out to be was squeezing or gripping the bar "hard" when trying to force those last few reps out. This causes so much stress on the forearms, which turns out to be tendonits.

It is just natural to squeeze the bar, on the way up. Of course the bar doesn't move, (you're squeeze hard steel) plus add weight and the total movement. There is a lot of stress on the forearms.

Next time you are doing curls, relax the grip while curling. "Grip lightly" When you get into trouble don't squeeze the bar.

Hope this helps, it did for me and I have not problem with sets of 150lbs straight bar.

Osr436

propho

Awards
  • Established
I'm glad I found this thread.. I've been having pain in my forearms for a while.. it kind of feels like it's in the middle of my forearm.. EZ bar hurts, dumbbell hurts.. everythign hurts..

I'm going to try what Magikk mentioned and also was wondering if anyone has tried using Cissus RX on this..

The Paper Route

The Paper Route

Awards
I got this pain once from staying on [SIZE=-1]ATD to long[/SIZE]

propho

Awards
  • Established
I got this pain once from staying on [SIZE=-1]ATD to long[/SIZE]
i thouht that was due to your joints drying out.. this is more of a pain in the middle of the forearm.. I was talking to someone and they believe it is much like a shin splint but in the forearm.. and they recommended i stay away from the barbell and stick with dumbells for 4-6 weeks..

I'm just hoping Cissus RX will help heal me quicker but I want to know if this will actually help this or not before spending the money on it..

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
I guarantee it's like a shin splint bro... GUARANTE. It's your bone actually bending... you need to strengthen your forearms with wrist curls and reverse ez curls... it won't be overnight, but once you strengthen your forearms and even out things, you won't have the problem. Just keep working forearms and bi and you'll be good going forward.

it's definately it. problem is basically your biceps are overpowering your forearms and they can't handle to load. your biceps are able to carry a much bigger load and your forearms are suffering. i bet you don't do much forearm work, do you? try it out... do some forearm work, back off on the bi work... do some light bicep work and in a month, you'll be good.

trust me ;) i missed your IM, but feel free to hit me back

i thouht that was due to your joints drying out.. this is more of a pain in the middle of the forearm.. I was talking to someone and they believe it is much like a shin splint but in the forearm.. and they recommended i stay away from the barbell and stick with dumbells for 4-6 weeks..

I'm just hoping Cissus RX will help heal me quicker but I want to know if this will actually help this or not before spending the money on it..

propho

Awards
  • Established
I guarantee it's like a shin splint bro... GUARANTE. It's your bone actually bending... you need to strengthen your forearms with wrist curls and reverse ez curls... it won't be overnight, but once you strengthen your forearms and even out things, you won't have the problem. Just keep working forearms and bi and you'll be good going forward.

it's definately it. problem is basically your biceps are overpowering your forearms and they can't handle to load. your biceps are able to carry a much bigger load and your forearms are suffering. i bet you don't do much forearm work, do you? try it out... do some forearm work, back off on the bi work... do some light bicep work and in a month, you'll be good.

trust me ;) i missed your IM, but feel free to hit me back
You are very right I never really directly worked out my forearms.. I kinda of figured that while i worked out my biceps it would hit my forearms.. and aparently it did.. and killed em =(

Recommend Cissus Rx for this as well to aid with recovery?

thetimbomb

Awards
WOW holy crap all of my trainers had no idea what to do, this thread has saved my workouts....

I had been curling 50 and 55 dbells of my sets after a a cycle cuz my strength went up, and after pct, anything involving heavy bicep hurt mny forearms...I have been lifting really light recently cuz of my damn arms.

All I could do was stretch , which only slightly minimalized the pain. Thank god for this thread.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Not sure on Cissus. I've heard nothing but amazing things about it. Maybe give it a try ?????

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yes, forearm work was (for me) really the key.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I didn't feel like reading all the replys, so don't be upset if this was already covered...

But for tendonitis (which i personally have, and is the reason i can never become a professional bowler :sad: , haha) i used wrist wraps for arm days. they realy work wonders, plus goo strentching before and after, with emphasis on the elbow. Also with ice and heat when you feel pain...

a good cortisone (sp?) shot is nice every once in a while too...