Pain in forearms

2cAnnons

Awards
been doing biceps and I get a severe pain in my forearms. its not the muscle is like the bone. I have been on T1 pro for 4 weeks. Flax oil every few days and 1500mg of glucosmine. anyone else have this pain? can it be for over training? do i need to go to the doctor?

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
this is common. what kind of exercise (I'm willing to bet bb-curls), and where exactly is the pain... I'm aslo willing to bet it's not the bone, but actually micro tears of interosseous membrane, or forearm tendon inflammations.

(I'd also say this is exercise forum worthy, as there are a few other threads on this common issue in there ;) )

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
I used to have that for a long time. After a while, it kind of went away but I will get the pain from time to time still. I've found that releasing your grip slowly from the weight after your done with your set helps remove the pain. The pain, for me at least, was always felt after I set the weight down..

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
as biggin and wyd stated, forearm pain while performing bicep exercises are common. Curling puts strain on your arms, mainly due to the mechanics of the exercise and the human anatomy. Most likely the problem lies in an inflammation of the interosseous membrane or tendonitis in your flexor carpi ulnaris. Bascially, without getting any more "what the heck he talking about"....you could ice the forearms a few times a day, might try the ez bar and with a narrower grip. (as biggin mentioned, its most likely the bb curls thats making you feel the unwanted pain in the forarms.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the second opinion and confirmation there sage :) hehe...actually, I always forget to mention this, but WYD has an interesting point here as well... if, once you set the bar down, you release it slowly and don't immediately start pronating/supinating your wrists all around but rather give them a few seconds, this really seems to help alot... that's a great observation WYD... definitely helps to relieve some of the OW OW... I don't know if it's due to my arm length or what, but I still occasionally have issues if I don't do this, and I use mainly and ez-bar... so good fuckin point :D

2cAnnons

Awards
I figured it was something along those lines, but i wanted to throw out the other ideas. I have tired releaseing the bar on the way down but the pain is still there. I do use an EZ curl bar close grip beause i couldnt stand the pain with a stright bar. I went down in weight last night and did standing curls and left precher curls out. so still the question, should i go see a doctor and make sure i havent damaged anything?

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
well, you obviously do have damage, but you're just not giving it time to heal by reaggravating it every workout... doc visit isn't necessary yet IMO, but giving your forearms a respite from the damage inducing onslaught is the only way to cure anything... I'd stick with db's for now.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
well, you obviously do have damage, but you're just not giving it time to heal by reaggravating it every workout... doc visit isn't necessary yet IMO, but giving your forearms a respite from the damage inducing onslaught is the only way to cure anything... I'd stick with db's for now.
D-bells are good alternative. I have an extremely bad case forearm b/c I like to lift heavy even on bbcurls (4-6 reps). For a while I had to focus on hammer curls because anything else felt like an ice pick in my forearms. As said before releasing ghe weight slowly helps, and as far as going to the doc-don't waste you $ just find ways to work around the pain and/or rest.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
I used to have real bad pains in my forearms, it started getting to the point of numbness and/or tingling. Went to the doc and he gave me a compression strap to wear on my forearm whenever I had pain and also reccommended on building the strength in my forearms before going back to heavy curls. You might want to try that, I did and now my fore's don't hurt at all.

When I put the compression strap on, the pain went immediately, it was incredible.

2cAnnons

Awards
coo, i will ice them and let them rest. stock to dbs and stay away from the heavy bb curls.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
you know something, you might even think about (gasp) some cable work. I think the continuous tension might be a little easier on ya as well, if you wanted to change out a set or two. just another thought.

deaconbill

Awards
Another good idea is to use tension straps on your forearms.  Available at any drug store/walmart they attach about one inch below elbow joint.  They have really lowered my persistent tendonitis pain.  Good luck.  BTW, don't get them too tight but do keep them snug.

2cAnnons

Awards
are they like the straps for your knees that put a light pressure under the knee cap? I will run by the store and check them out.

freeze

Awards
I had that problem too, mainly from preacher curls. It got so bad that I had to quit working arms completely for 2 weeks before it went away. Now it comes and goes every now and then but nothing as severe as it got for a while there.

meathead

Awards
Just another view here. Same problems, like shin splints, but in the forearm, mostly along the ulna. I quit doing preachers altogether, rested up, and added forearm work. Now I can still go heavy even w/ BBs. ;)

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Just another view here. Same problems, like shin splints, but in the forearm, mostly along the ulna. I quit doing preachers altogether, rested up, and added forearm work. Now I can still go heavy even w/ BBs. ;)
Do you attribute your improvement in forearm pain mainly to direct forearm work or avoiding specific exercises (liker preachers)?

meathead

Awards
My gut feeling is that preachers are what directly gave me the injury, but adding strength to the forearms would prevent further damage. I remember when I used to run track years ago my coach had us do alot of lower leg stretches as well as calve exercises to reduce shin splints. Having someone push down on the top of your foot while you try to lift up at the ankle built up strength to the opposing, (and stronger) calve muscles. Seemed to help back then. I'd say stay away from the preacher untill you heal up, try the forearm work, and them perhaps if you are feeling froggy experiment with the preachers keep mind of reinjury:cool:

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
My gut feeling is that preachers are what directly gave me the injury, but adding strength to the forearms would prevent further damage. I remember when I used to run track years ago my coach had us do alot of lower leg stretches as well as calve exercises to reduce shin splints. Having someone push down on the top of your foot while you try to lift up at the ankle built up strength to the opposing, (and stronger) calve muscles. Seemed to help back then. I'd say stay away from the preacher untill you heal up, try the forearm work, and them perhaps if you are feeling froggy experiment with the preachers keep mind of reinjury:cool:
Thanks for the input, I'll try the forearm work.