Another routine advice needed thread

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have a few main routines that I stick with. But i feel as if those routines are better for helping build strength.

I need help. I have never focused on exercises for definition. Now I want to. I feel as though my shoulders are lacking and my upper chest especially. I also want to grow my lats out and develop a nice taper. Can anyone help me with some advice. I am pretty knowledgeable but I have an issue with do as I say not as I do. But when I have a routine or I've been told a few things I will hit it pretty.

Here's some pics of where I'm at currently. Please critique and tell me what to do.

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Stolen from tank. Pretty sure he stole it from hulk. booneman77
Woody Burnfire Cjg bighulksmash thebigt hairygrandpa rtmilburn FireTitan alphagainz Clean gene ZOO jramoska SFreed CJNator HIT4ME wesb2387 Gutterpump Tank999 DennisTheDane Danes SpicedCider ryane87 Juicedeez utz BEAST73 Alpha1agreda LeanEngineer coltonwalker Brandinooooo Sparkss Studhorse blueline438 vujade Volvo140G Chuck Diesel Ag5000 lifted67 Burnfire Cjg bighulksmash thebigt hairygrandpa smith_69 rtmilburn FireTitan alphagainz Clean gene ZOO jramoska SFreed CJNator HIT4ME wesb2387 Gutterpump Tank999 DennisTheDane Danes SpicedCider ryane87 Juicedeez utz BEAST73 Alpha1agreda LeanEngineer coltonwalker Brandinooooo Sparkss Studhorse blueline438 vujade Volvo140G Ag5000 lifted67 Jebrook halfhuman ChocolateClen justhere4comm matt8483 ryane87 nostrum420 bigt hairygrandpa smith_69 rtmilburn FireTitan alphagainz Clean gene ZOO jramoska SFreed CJNator HIT4ME wesb2387 Gutterpump Tank999 DennisTheDane Danes SpicedCider ryane87 Juicedeez utz BEAST73 Alpha1agreda LeanEngineer coltonwalker Brandinooooo Sparkss Studhorse blueline438 vujade Volvo140G Ag5000 lifted67 Jebrook halfhuman ChocolateClen justhere4comm matt8483 ryane87 nostrum420 BloodManor Studhorse habajaba

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Drop weight just a tad and go for higher reps. Instead of the usual 4-6 strength gain reps, switch to 8-12.

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Drop weight just a tad and go for higher reps. Instead of the usual 4-6 strength gain reps, switch to 8-12.
I've been doing that. I've been doing a pretty aggressive routine and I feel like I'm shaping up pretty well but I'm looking for that golden routine. Something that will isolate specific groups and help grow. Or am I over thinking this crap.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My theories aren't always popular or agreed with, but I don't believe in "training for definition". No matter how you train, a muscle will adapt and grow, or it won't grow. HOW it grows is generally beyond your control. Strength is the best way to tell if you're creating physical adaptations, because once you are experienced beyond your first couple years, natural adaptations can be in the 5 pounds per year range, which makes it hard to tell if you're growing on a week to week basis unless you are measuring strength gains.

What are the routines you have been doing? How is your progression going? When you say train for definition, what exactly are your goals? You look relatively lean (maybe lose 5 pounds of fat and you'd be ripped I think, maybe I'm wrong), and you have a pretty good base built from whatever you've been doing to this point. Maybe your expectations need a slight adjustment - what are you hoping for? I'm not saying that to be snide either - I REALLY had to adjust my own expectations a little before I started making progress. Sometimes you try to get too much too fast and you wind up getting nothing because you're not sticking to the basics.

As far as building a V-Taper and lats - pull ups and bent over rows. Deadlifts. Military presses for shoulders (although these are my weakness too, so hopefully others will chime in).

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
Boom beach body p90x in a blenda .
Use heavier weights. 7 to 14 rep range.

Examples 40 50 65 45 35 dumbells

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
Stolen from tank. Pretty sure he stole it from hulk.

Woody Burnfire Cjg bighulksmash thebigt hairygrandpa rtmilburn FireTitan alphagainz Clean gene ZOO jramoska SFreed CJNator HIT4ME wesb2387 Gutterpump Tank999 DennisTheDane Danes SpicedCider ryane87 Juicedeez utz BEAST73 Alpha1agreda LeanEngineer coltonwalker Brandinooooo Sparkss Studhorse blueline438 vujade Volvo140G Chuck Diesel Ag5000 lifted67 Burnfire Cjg bighulksmash thebigt hairygrandpa smith_69 rtmilburn FireTitan alphagainz Clean gene ZOO jramoska SFreed CJNator HIT4ME wesb2387 Gutterpump Tank999 DennisTheDane Danes SpicedCider ryane87 Juicedeez utz BEAST73 Alpha1agreda LeanEngineer coltonwalker Brandinooooo Sparkss Studhorse blueline438 vujade Volvo140G Ag5000 lifted67 Jebrook halfhuman ChocolateClen justhere4comm matt8483 ryane87 nostrum420 bigt hairygrandpa smith_69 rtmilburn FireTitan alphagainz Clean gene ZOO jramoska SFreed CJNator HIT4ME wesb2387 Gutterpump Tank999 DennisTheDane Danes SpicedCider ryane87 Juicedeez utz BEAST73 Alpha1agreda LeanEngineer coltonwalker Brandinooooo Sparkss Studhorse blueline438 vujade Volvo140G Ag5000 lifted67 Jebrook halfhuman ChocolateClen justhere4comm matt8483 ryane87 nostrum420 BloodManor Studhorse habajaba
Didnt steal it - BORROWED it.....it's the famous bighulksmash list of course, and as hulk says "it's da bommb""!

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
i sent something to mmorso

ask him if it helped

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
I've been doing that. I've been doing a pretty aggressive routine and I feel like I'm shaping up pretty well but I'm looking for that golden routine. Something that will isolate specific groups and help grow. Or am I over thinking this crap.
also no your not- your just missing 2 simple little key parts- TUT and M&M connection-

all the advice here is good, but as you can see, without this, your going to come up short

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
Truth is - as far as I could tell from over 35 years of hanging out in serious gyms - there is no such thing. Build the muscle, peel the fat and voila! Definition!
Just my personal opinion - definitely not mainstream.....

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
also no your not- your just missing 2 simple little key parts- TUT and M&M connection-

all the advice here is good, but as you can see, without this, your going to come up short
TUT? M&M - mind and muscle?

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
Yes it did: smith_69 broke down trap training and made me realize I've never performed a shrug correctly before today. lol I followed his advice and did a few shrug variations he suggested with lighter weight.. sh1t I'm sore. Thanks brother

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
Mind and muscle connection is everything... I'm about to start critiquing all my lifts

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
My theories aren't always popular or agreed with, but I don't believe in "training for definition". No matter how you train, a muscle will adapt and grow, or it won't grow. HOW it grows is generally beyond your control. Strength is the best way to tell if you're creating physical adaptations, because once you are experienced beyond your first couple years, natural adaptations can be in the 5 pounds per year range, which makes it hard to tell if you're growing on a week to week basis unless you are measuring strength gains.

What are the routines you have been doing? How is your progression going? When you say train for definition, what exactly are your goals? You look relatively lean (maybe lose 5 pounds of fat and you'd be ripped I think, maybe I'm wrong), and you have a pretty good base built from whatever you've been doing to this point. Maybe your expectations need a slight adjustment - what are you hoping for? I'm not saying that to be snide either - I REALLY had to adjust my own expectations a little before I started making progress. Sometimes you try to get too much too fast and you wind up getting nothing because you're not sticking to the basics.

As far as building a V-Taper and lats - pull ups and bent over rows. Deadlifts. Military presses for shoulders (although these are my weakness too, so hopefully others will chime in).
Honestly man I don't know. I just want to look better. I feel like I look decent. I want some definition and to hit my lacking areas. But I'm not sure what the best exercises would be.

When I am going for strength I do a 5x5 routine with squats 3-5 days a week. Deadlifts 2-3 days a week and different chest routines thrown in. I've been doing a Greg plitt routine for the last few weeks and i think it's working well but I really want to try and hit each muscle group twice a week now. I know the general idea for definition and cuts is higher rep range.
I think I'm just looking for exercises that help with definition. I think? I'm so indecisive I thought a thread like this would help. Lol

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Truth is - as far as I could tell from over 35 years of hanging out in serious gyms - there is no such thing. Build the muscle, peel the fat and voila! Definition!
Just my personal opinion - definitely not mainstream.....
So if I just stick with my routines with higher reps and working weight and get that diet down that's the key? Instead of 5x5 I do 5x15? It's always been get big to me. But since I jacked up my hand getting as big as I wanted isn't going to happen for a while.

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
So if I just stick with my routines with higher reps and working weight and get that diet down that's the key? Instead of 5x5 I do 5x15? It's always been get big to me. But since I jacked up my hand getting as big as I wanted isn't going to happen for a while.
Just my opinion of course: 10 -12 rep range on compound exercises, including squats and dedz of course, with enough recovery time and protein, and you will get those muscle bursting.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
Just my opinion of course: 10 -12 rep range on compound exercises, including squats and dedz of course, with enough recovery time and protein, and you will get those muscle bursting.
EXACTLY

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ok. Well starting tomorrow I'm gonna focus on working on my definition. I'm gonna really pay attention to my sets and rep range. I'll keep a good log of my lifts too for progress. Thanks so far guys. Keep all this coming. I know I'm not the only out there looking for this.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Yes it did: smith_69 broke down trap training and made me realize I've never performed a shrug correctly before today. lol I followed his advice and did a few shrug variations he suggested with lighter weight.. sh1t I'm sore. Thanks brother
Mind and muscle connection is everything... I'm about to start critiquing all my lifts
anytime bro

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
Ok. Well starting tomorrow I'm gonna focus on working on my definition. I'm gonna really pay attention to my sets and rep range. I'll keep a good log of my lifts too for progress. Thanks so far guys. Keep all this coming. I know I'm not the only out there looking for this.
Slow negatives whenever possible. Thats how I grow so fast .

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sweet in on this!

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
also POSE YOUR ASSES OFF IN FRONT OF THE MIRROR . -ARNOLD !

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
So today I did my chest and tri day. Tomorrow I'll hit shoulders and back. But today I did every rep real slow and methodical. I really paid attention to my range of motion and when and what I was flexing. It was a really good lift. I feel great and tired. It was a lot different than my Normal routines. But I didn't really change much. Just my thoughts and speed

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
So today I did my chest and tri day. Tomorrow I'll hit shoulders and back. But today I did every rep real slow and methodical. I really paid attention to my range of motion and when and what I was flexing. It was a really good lift. I feel great and tired. It was a lot different than my Normal routines. But I didn't really change much. Just my thoughts and speed
You have done it correctly my friend.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Im offended i wasn't included on "the list"...

definition comes from sheer size and leanness. Its as simple as that. If you want to look defined, and are happy with your size, you have to get leaner. If you're happy with your leanness, you need more size.

I agree that you could def use to increase the rep ranges for more of a hypertrophy focus, as well as the metabolic benefits that come along with more HIIT type training. Shorter rest sets or more supersets will also add to the "afterburn" effect that will allow you to burn more cals through the day.

Personally, I've been running a modified PHAT program that allows me to use both higher and lower rep ranges, as well as a variety of intensity techniques to get some of the best of both strength and hyper worlds.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards

definition comes from sheer size and leanness. Its as simple as that. If you want to look defined, and are happy with your size, you have to get leaner. If you're happy with your leanness, you need more size.

I agree that you could def use to increase the rep ranges for more of a hypertrophy focus, as well as the metabolic benefits that come along with more HIIT type training. Shorter rest sets or more supersets will also add to the "afterburn" effect that will allow you to burn more cals through the day.

Personally, I've been running a modified PHAT program that allows me to use both higher and lower rep ranges, as well as a variety of intensity techniques to get some of the best of both strength and hyper worlds.
Burnfire Cjg bighulksmash booneman77 thebigt hairygrandpa rtmilburn FireTitan alphagainz Clean gene ZOO jramoska SFreed CJNator HIT4ME wesb2387 Gutterpump Tank999 DennisTheDane Danes SpicedCider ryane87 Juicedeez utz BEAST73 Alpha1agreda LeanEngineer coltonwalker Brandinooooo Sparkss Studhorse blueline438 vujade Volvo140G Chuck Diesel Ag5000 lifted67 Burnfire Cjg bighulksmash thebigt hairygrandpa smith_69 rtmilburn FireTitan alphagainz Clean gene ZOO jramoska SFreed CJNator HIT4ME wesb2387 Gutterpump Tank999 DennisTheDane Danes SpicedCider ryane87 Juicedeez utz BEAST73 Alpha1agreda LeanEngineer coltonwalker Brandinooooo Sparkss Studhorse blueline438 vujade Volvo140G Ag5000 lifted67 Jebrook halfhuman ChocolateClen justhere4comm matt8483 ryane87 nostrum420 will add more soon your 3rd on mines bruhh ?

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

Holy crap dude. I did not know you weren't on that list. I just assumed it was all of AM. Lol.
I don't know what PHAT is besides "that's phat dude"
I think I'm happy with my size. But I know when I start toning up I'll be unhappy with it. I want to learn what it takes to develop physique so people are like dang that dude is cut up. Next year I want to do a legit bulk cycle and really grow. So I need to learn now how to clean that up and really my my muscles stand out.

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Just the tip of the iceberg. Wait until you wake up with hard ass sexy muscles. That's wat got me hooked.
I'm waking up with something hard. That rise and swell I'm taking is kicking in.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
POWERBUILDING low reps heavy weights for your main lifts then light and high reps for all supporting lifts! Boom mfo I make serious gains in both strong and size with this

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
pics pf said GAINS ?
POWERBUILDING low reps heavy weights for your main lifts then light and high reps for all supporting lifts! Boom mfo I make serious gains in both strong and size with this

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
Trojan horses are obsolete . It is probably a backdoored version of sub7 or Turmoil . Only antivirus out that picks it up is Kaspersky . I did a video not to long ago on this I can link you if you want . I can fully bypass any antivirus . Reverse HTTPS encoded shell . open up CMD and type NETSTAT -A -N -O hit enter .. any 8081 or 443 ports connected ?
Would but it does let upload pictures from my phone for whatever reason and I'm in the process of getting rid of a Trojan horse on my computer

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Trojan horses are obsolete . It is probably a backdoored version of sub7 or Turmoil . Only antivirus out that picks it up is Kaspersky . I did a video not to long ago on this I can link you if you want . I can fully bypass any antivirus . Reverse HTTPS encoded shell . open up CMD and type NETSTAT -A -N -O hit enter .. any 8081 or 443 ports connected ?
Haha idk to much. Most of that went over my head, but my dad is a IT geek so with a master's in electrical engineer.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
[video=youtube;Zb-K7YAzAZM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb-K7YAzAZM[/video] blueline438 modern day Arnold ...I can see you looking like this !

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Freaking nailed it hulk. I'm gonna start researching that guy. That old school sh** is my jam

corinthians

Awards
Cutting diet, Squeeze on each rep to make the striations pop out, short rest on light weight and medium rest on heavy weights, cardio and of course steroids. I think the image of what are you looking for is shredded as **** and good vascularity.. so steroids in that mix.

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Cutting diet, Squeeze on each rep to make the striations pop out, short rest on light weight and medium rest on heavy weights, cardio and of course steroids. I think the image of what are you looking for is shredded as **** and good vascularity.. so steroids in that mix.
Don't need steroids to accomplish that bud.

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
What is the % you wanna achieve?
I have no idea. I'm planning on doing a physique competition next year. So right now I'm just trying to figure out the best ways to clean up my definition now so when I do a bulk cycle in a few months I'll have the best plan of attack to shred down.

corinthians

Awards
Try atleast preserve the most muscle possible of course. But natural you have to be really meticulous and even so you will lose a little bit. Cut weight natural is complicated and you will see yourself like ****, flat so small etc but if you will make some cycles on the future is fine. Hope you the best

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Cutting diet, Squeeze on each rep to make the striations pop out, short rest on light weight and medium rest on heavy weights, cardio
im going to be extremely polite and simply rephrase this for you-

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Try atleast preserve the most muscle possible of course. But natural you have to be really meticulous and even so you will lose a little bit. Cut weight natural is complicated and you will see yourself like ****, flat so small etc but if you will make some cycles on the future is fine. Hope you the best
Thanks.

coltonwalker

coltonwalker

Awards
Lot of guys already nailed it. Specially Hulk. Lower weight higher reps on accessory lifts. Heavier and less reps on main lifts (bench, OH press, deadlift, etc..) and add in TUT for your accessory. Works like a charm for me as well.

Another option that i enjoy and actually am doing right now, is Arnold's Blueprint. Some guys on here will say don't follow someone else program, but rather make one that works for you. Frankly.. the Arnold hits every aspect. I love the intensity. Some of the training days can tend to drag on.. that's where the "what works for you" comes into play. Listen to your body. But as far as a program, if you go that route, the Arnold Blueprint to Mass is outstanding. 4th time doing it in 3 years.

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
I have a few main routines that I stick with. But i feel as if those routines are better for helping build strength.

I need help. I have never focused on exercises for definition. Now I want to. I feel as though my shoulders are lacking and my upper chest especially. I also want to grow my lats out and develop a nice taper. Can anyone help me with some advice. I am pretty knowledgeable but I have an issue with do as I say not as I do. But when I have a routine or I've been told a few things I will hit it pretty.

Here's some pics of where I'm at currently. Please critique and tell me what to do.
You could google a bodybuilding routine (being that you don't seem to be a rookie, you could probably figure out how to perform the exercises listed) and work your A$$ off. There's no "special" exercises for becoming defined. Like mentioned above pull-ups are great for the v-taper but a bodybuilding program is what's needed.

Being defined boils down to 2 things IMO and that is DIET and HARD TRAINING. And of course, the dreaded but necessary Cardio!