Home Gym Good Enough For Mass Building

mjfasch

mjfasch

Awards
I feel like a doofus for even asking but is there anyone out there that has got any serious results, like mass building results from a home gym like a Bowflex or H2 or something?

Cutty636

Cutty636

Awards
All I use are my u90 powerblocks and sport bench. You can definitely get ripped up with them. Powerblock now makes dbs that go up to 175 per db so total of 350lbs. Pump up the volume and EAT and you could put on some mass I think.

mjfasch

mjfasch

Awards
All I use are my u90 powerblocks and sport bench. You can definitely get ripped up with them. Powerblock now makes dbs that go up to 175 per db so total of 350lbs. Pump up the volume and EAT and you could put on some mass I think.
Thank you for sharing.

Anabolikz

Anabolikz

Awards
Do you want the best results possible or not? Best results will come from lifting free weights all you need is a bar some weights and a rack to get really good results. Probably need a bench too. You could probably get some results from the bowflex but I'm sure you might want more results than what you can attain using some type of machine

mjfasch

mjfasch

Awards
I've heard that about machines vs free weights but..
uploadfromtaptalk1457306736854.jpg

So I get confused when I see top athletes use machines when others say don't.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
A home gym can be as good as you make it

Given only one option or the other I would invest in a power rack before any machine.

Vector300

Vector300

Awards
Do you want the best results possible or not? Best results will come from lifting free weights all you need is a bar some weights and a rack to get really good results. Probably need a bench too. You could probably get some results from the bowflex but I'm sure you might want more results than what you can attain using some type of machine
I'll add to this as I train out of my home. I started with the basics:

-a place to lift (built my own lifting platform from plywood and horse stall mats).

-a GOOD barbell.

-a ****-ton of plates. Bumpers if you can afford it mixed in with some cheap Craigslist iron.

-solid squat rack or power cage preferably with a pull-up bar so you don't need to install one separately.

That's about it to get some nasty results. You can squat, pull, press, row, and curl to your hearts content and backfill your program with body weight movements. Afterwards you can add more "toys":

-gymnastic rings.

-dip belt/neck harness.

-strength bands.

-EZ bar.

-landmine post unit (this thing is awesome!).

-more weights!!!

I can guaran-****ing-tee you that you can get jacked with this. And it's not as expensive as it sounds. Just get the most important stuff first and buy what you NEED before what you WANT. Just last week I was searching CL and found an almost brand new Rogue Monster Squat Stand with all the bells and whistles for half the price what their website is selling it for!...oh and it came with a Rogue barbell too!!!

I've learned that machines are nice but not necessary. Look at dudes from the early 40's and 50's like Reg Park and John Grimek. Jacked, lean, and strong as bulls. In fact look at guys in prison! Poor caloric meals, only an hour in the yard, rusty free weights IF they have access to weights at all, and the threat of being manhandled while taking a shower. Yet some dudes get freakin beastly!

And as far as the whole machines vs. free weights debate - most of those guys and gals built up a solid foundation using the basics before putting on the finishing touches with isolation machines. I've actually gotten bigger and leaner since training out of my basement because I'm less prone to dick around with useless ****. I'll still hit the gym once about every two weeks with my one buddy but the funny thing is besides dumbbell rows and chest presses and maybe the occasional seated row machine or dumbbell curl I don't really do anything differently than what I do when I train at home. And guys are always asking what my training is like, haha! Uh...working my ass off?! 80/20 bro. Don't lose sight of the BIG picture.

Cutty636

Cutty636

Awards
I'll add that the powerblock sport bench has a pull up and dip bar attachment. And they now have a barbell attachment, straight and ez curl.

I'm not a salesperson for them or anything I just use them because I've always needed compact weights.

You will have to spend some serious money though, that's the downside. But lifetime warranty on the urethane series so

Anabolikz

Anabolikz

Awards
I've heard that about machines vs free weights but..View attachment 132342

So I get confused when I see top athletes use machines when others say don't.
There's been countless studies comparing hypertrophy results attained from free weights vs machines. Free weights have proven to be better time and time again. All those athletes that you mention have already built a strong foundation using big free weight compound or bodyweight compound movements. Top reasons why they use machines in training... 1. They use machines in place of free weight movements because reoccurring injuries. 2 Add extra volume in with machines after they are done with the free weight movements. 3 they think it's better to play it safe and get in a good bit of work with machines.. And to be very honest with the amount of drugs they use they can get large amounts of growth regardless of the apparatus they choose to overload that muscle with. Sometimes looking at the Mr Olympia isn't the best way to modify your training because of the use of drugs/ injuries or joint issues caused by training for as long as they have. Plus drugs can also contribute to injuries.

Often times natural bodybuilders train in the most proven methods by research. Maybe try looking at their training routines. Not saying machines are useless because you can add in volume where you need to and when you need an exercise that's safer or less strenuous on your body. But the majority of your workout should be based upon free weight, compound movements that are placed at the beginning of your workout.

imlee888

Awards
you can get commercial gym "big-ish" off machines, but you wont get actually strong or big, not unless youre using anabolic supplements. its better than nothing though

Famine

Famine

Awards
If you have the space, my bottom line go-to recommendation is ALWAYS a power rack, bench, and 300 pounds of Olympic weight.

But some circumstances simply will not allow that configuration...say, apartment in NY City, etc.

But to answer your question, I don't know because every person I know who has a Bowflex (which is 3 people), has never used it more than a month. I think there is something unsatisfying about Bowflex that simply doesn't encourage people to stick with it. It just doesn't tap into the animal instinct to pick things up and set things down.