Home Gym Equipment Recommendations

brandlife

brandlife

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Hey Guys - I'm putting a gym in my basement and don't have enough room for conventional equipment. I do have a 5-60lb DB rack and rower. I personally hate the idea of these "all in one" home gyms. I really wanted an old school Icarian or Precor "tree" with cables and rows but I don't have the room.

So I wanted to see what people were doing or putting in their home gyms and if they have any systems they like or don't like.

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I have been building my gym for a while now. I have DBs up to 75lbs and a ton of kettlebells. I have a Titan rack that fits in my six foot height basement along with the Lat pulldown cables. Two barbells, a neutral barbell, adjustable bench and a flat bench. Deficient platform for deadlifts and box’s to raise height, these are easy to make. Bands, med balls, a hyper extension machine, chains, eZ curl bar, and some Other stuff. Me and my wife use it. The Titan rack was one of my newest purchases about 8 months ago and I love it. I can do squats, bench press, and Lat pulls and ton of other stuff. For a few hundred bucks it’s one of the best purchases I have made.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I've been wanting to add some pieces to my setup but have been indecisive myself because it seems like reviews and opinions are all over the place.

I've got a mix of brands myself. I just need to add a cheat iso machine and shoulder press machine. I've seen a couple of leverage systems that seem like they have some decent options.

Following along bc I'm curious about people's suggestions.

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I have been building my gym for a while now. I have DBs up to 75lbs and a ton of kettlebells. I have a Titan rack that fits in my six foot height basement along with the Lat pulldown cables. Two barbells, a neutral barbell, adjustable bench and a flat bench. Deficient platform for deadlifts and box’s to raise height, these are easy to make. Bands, med balls, a hyper extension machine, chains, eZ curl bar, and some Other stuff. Me and my wife use it. The Titan rack was one of my newest purchases about 8 months ago and I love it. I can do squats, bench press, and Lat pulls and ton of other stuff. For a few hundred bucks it’s one of the best purchases I have made.
I just checked inthe Titan, it’s a T-2 71 inch power rack. I got the extensions to hold all my plates and the Lat tower. It’s says all that is about $800 but I thought I paid less

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Hey Guys - I'm putting a gym in my basement and don't have enough room for conventional equipment. I do have a 5-60lb DB rack and rower. I personally hate the idea of these "all in one" home gyms. I really wanted an old school Icarian or Precor "tree" with cables and rows but I don't have the room.

So I wanted to see what people were doing or putting in their home gyms and if they have any systems they like or don't like.
Do you have a power rack? A power rack can be your best friend for a home gym if you wanna move some weight without a spot. They also make a lot of these cable pulls systems you can attach to the power rack for pulldowns, rows and whatever else you would want with a cable.

I don't particularly know that brand but it's just a example of what I'm talking about. You can find better known brands for $100 or less

brandlife

brandlife

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Do you have a power rack? A power rack can be your best friend for a home gym if you wanna move some weight without a spot. They also make a lot of these cable pulls systems you can attach to the power rack for pulldowns, rows and whatever else you would want with a cable.

I don't particularly know that brand but it's just a example of what I'm talking about. You can find better known brands for $100 or less
yeah, I want it all to match and that titan brand has squat/power racks which are pretty much the same thing. I will need that so I can do incline/decline/flat bench. I’m not gonna get that cable system that requires plates bc it’ll piss me off and I’ll just walk out and won’t use it ever again. That’s why I’m gonna get the titan cable system link i showed above - that’s the closest to a real gym without it being one of those dumb Swiss Army knife systems that does a MILLION things - they’re pretty dumb

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have the Titan T2 power rack w dip attachment and hi and low pulley. You get a lat bar and a short length bar for “attachments”. Lat bar is narrow and I have alligator arms. Not sure how it would suit a 6’ human w long arms. That being said, I’m buying better cable attachments. Amazon. If u want to add their leg attachment it won’t fit on the t2 racks. They don’t allude to this on website. T2 is a 2” box frame. Leg attachments for extension and curl need 3” box frame. U can buy an adapter that allows 2” box frame and steps up to 3” box frame for this leg attachment. It is not made by Titan. Google is your friend.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
- Flat bench that goes up and down for incline/decline with preacher curl and leg curl/extension attachment
- Titan squat stands
- Chin up bar that wraps around door frame
- Pulley system that hooks on to chin up bar with cambered bar and rope attachments
- Strength band set with door anchor and handles
- Calf raise platform
- Close grip pull down handle attachment
- EZ curl bar
- lot of dumbbells

I do some landmine exercises where I push my Olympic bar into a corner wrapping the end of the bar with a couple towels.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I do some landmine exercises where I push my Olympic bar into a corner wrapping the end of the bar with a couple towels.
We cut some tennis balls up and put them on the end of a bar before sticking it in a corner for landmine work. ;)

thatsuppguy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Facebook marketplace and Craigslist are your friend. you can add some stuff really cheap. I was able to grab powerblocks (5-90) on marketplace cheap. dont be afraid to shoot people offers. I added a titan fitness cable machine and proform folding squat rack for my garage. i then snagged 500lbs of plates for cheap off craigslist. slowly added bars and attachments. grabbed a leg ext/ leg curl that a guy had from an old gym for 10 bucks. i am out of room or i would add more. ha.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Does anyone have any good suggestions on a good chest press and shoulder press (preferably iso) that doesn't cost a fortune?

I do mostly dumbbells but have wanted to add a machine for certain times when my shoulder stability is giving me problems from where I broke it.

I know its a cheapo brand, but has surprisingly good reviews - but I've never seen one or known anyone to have one, but Sydee (may spelled it wrong) has one that gets some good reviews for cheap.

thatsuppguy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Does anyone have any good suggestions on a good chest press and shoulder press (preferably iso) that doesn't cost a fortune?

I do mostly dumbbells but have wanted to add a machine for certain times when my shoulder stability is giving me problems from where I broke it.

I know its a cheapo brand, but has surprisingly good reviews - but I've never seen one or known anyone to have one, but Sydee (may spelled it wrong) has one that gets some good reviews for cheap.

Well, damn that is cheaper than i normally see. you got me interested in reviews now. haha!

lhypertrophy

Awards
Titan compares to Rogue, but cheaper and not American made essentially. They make the T2 shorty that will fit in low ceiling elements. I highly recommend these racks. Newyorkbarbells is another rack I’ve used for the longest time. Cheap **** but gets the job done. Titan would be my go to if I had to do it all over.

brandlife

brandlife

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Facebook marketplace and Craigslist are your friend. you can add some stuff really cheap. I was able to grab powerblocks (5-90) on marketplace cheap. dont be afraid to shoot people offers. I added a titan fitness cable machine and proform folding squat rack for my garage. i then snagged 500lbs of plates for cheap off craigslist. slowly added bars and attachments. grabbed a leg ext/ leg curl that a guy had from an old gym for 10 bucks. i am out of room or i would add more. ha.
I assume the pro-form squat rack is a 3 inch tube? I am learning that the Titan is not 3 inches so it’s not universal for different attachments like a leg curl attachment.

brandlife

brandlife

Awards
  • First Up Vote

Bro, are you really hijacking my thread with your own questions??

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I assume the pro-form squat rack is a 3 inch tube? I am learning that the Titan is not 3 inches so it’s not universal for different attachments like a leg curl attachment.
Found the 2x2 to 3x3 conversion

thatsuppguy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
ya the proform is not universal and i could not add stuff, but i am limited on space in my garage so i went with bang for buck. it was slightly cheaper with coupon and came with safety bars.
I wish i had the space to put together what i really wanted but I am married and have limitations. ha!

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Bro, are you really hijacking my thread with your own questions??
Nope. I actually thought I was helping get attention to your thread and create discussion.

A lot of people follow my posts here on AM and my thought and hope was that me posting in your thread would help get you more answers and replies and turn it into a good home workout equipment discussion.

The title of your thread is literally "Home Gym Equipment Recommendations" and then you said:

^^^ So I'm not sure what you deem that I did wrong by encouraging conversation by asking questions about what different types of equipment that people like or don't like.

Like the leverage piece that I mentioned - it seems very popular for home gyms and is designed to save space - but I can't recommend it to you because I've never used it. But if it is as good as the reviews I've seen, especially for the price, it might would be a great option.

In general, I have a lot of space so the pieces that I have personally likely aren't a good fit for you; hence asking for people's opinions about one that I looked at myself that happens to have what I'm looking for but also a lot more - and may be a good option for you, but having never used it personally, I can't recommend it so I was hoping maybe someone reading it may have.

I'm probably going to buy it anyway, but would feel bad if I suggested it to you or anyone else and it turns out not to be a good piece - hence trying to encourage conversation on it and see if anyone else had. That was to help you or anyone else reading or following along figure out if it would be good for them; I've already researched it and plan to buy it and try it.

Personally, I have a Fitness Gear Smith machine/power rack/weight stack combo that I would strongly suggest not buying - because the smith is angled weirdly and hurts my shoulders to use. Then I have a lot of Body Solid equipment that I really like but they are individual pieces and not a good option for someone that doesn't have a lot of space.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
That is a lot of wild stuff. I've been lucky, ever since high school I've always had a bench, bars, and more plates than I'll ever use. I've given away almost everything through the years because something better always lands in my lap. I have a full bench and all the trimmings in my shed and a dumb bell bench on my porch. I've probably paid less than $500 for everything I've ever owned. People give up and just give it away. I have a York barbell bench, with leg attachment, 2 long bars, and tons of plates just gathering dust in my shed, because I have no room to set it up!
It's wild how stuff like that varies so much by the area. In my area, a lot of people used to give equipment like that away, but now days they try to charge dang near new prices for it all. I remember when people used to give away plates just to get them out of the way and now they want 2.00 per lb. for them around here.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Must be a central Pa thing because I've given away 3 benches to friends and family and tons of bars and plates and I still have too much lol! When I was a kid my dad had this thing, it wasn't a Bull Worker, but similar. It was a pneumatic piston with handles and I loved that thing. It was chrome plated with black polymer handles. I'd love to find one of them again. The harder you pulled/pushed, the more resistance it created.
I think it just depends on the area. That's why I would always encourage anyone to check marketplace or any free or inexpensive options in their areas for classified, yard sales, give aways, etc.

It used to be that way here with people giving stuff away now just to get it gone. But like last week, I saw a Powertech setup on marketplace here scratched all to pieces taken apart and piled up in a floor in the picture and the price was only 300 less than new - and there would be no way of knowing until bought it and put it together if even had all the pieces. And weights going for 2.00 per lb. which is crazy for used stuff. I have dumbbells going up to 120's except I'm missing 70's and tried to find a set awhile back and gave up quick after seeing the prices haha.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Freaking brutal! My friend's dad just passed away and he has a lot of guns. My friend is keeping all the pistols and a bunch of the others. He sold me a new in box Henry golden boy .22mag for $500! he has a Weatherby Vangaurd 300mag with a giant scope he'd sell me for $800, but I'm strapped right now and it's a $100 for 20 rounds lol! I always seem to get lucky with stuff like this.
Congratulations. That's awesome for you.

If you ever get that lucky on a Nustep, let me know and I could see a road trip in my future haha. I used one of those at physical therapy for my leg and it helped me a lot. I wanted to get one, but the prices on those are insane and I just can't afford one.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Side note while I have ya here. I tried to place an order on the SNS website a while back and it didn't seem to like my card. I use a lot of security: VPN, ghostery, https everywhere, duckduckgo essentials, and adblock ultimate. Any chance that stuff messes with the page? I didn't try turning any of it off. Thanks.
The SNS website uses authorize.net for credit card transactions. As security minded as you seem, you're probably familiar with that and like authorize.net. The downside to authorize.net is that because it is super secure, it is also super strict so its possible that some of those things that you use could have triggered a fraud filter with it.

Let's take this part of the conversation to pm's if you don't mind. If the order failed, if it went far enough to have generated an order #, send that to me and I can try to find a reason code. If it wouldn't let it accept it at all, pm and I'll send you my cell number and if it happens again you can let me know when its happening and I'll see what I can see on my end.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
OP, I’d say main thing to do is figure out the movements/exercises that are most important to you to train - what you will need to do those things.

I would tell most people that a power rack is nearly mandatory for a home gym if it’s your only training location, but there ways to even circumvent that & some people aren’t interested in barbell work. But the right modular rack from brands like Titan Fitness, Rogue, and Bells of Steel can give safety for barbell work, a place to anchor bands or even some pulley/tower systems, attachments for things like dip horns, landmine, curls/extensions, reverse hypers, belt squats. And they can be fitted with different pull-up bars, or at least be a solid place to lay a swissbar across the top to do neutral grip chin-ups from.

Most people will want some dbs or at least a pair of loadable db handles or adjustable db blocks, all depending on space/money/interest.

Rogue’s Rhino Beltsquat is incredibly good, and can be attached to their power racks. I got to try Bells of Steel at the Arnold this year and would definitely be okay with it, and even Titan’s old one is worth the price if you have the space and want a leg machine that doesn’t tax the back.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
OP, I’d say main thing to do is figure out the movements/exercises that are most important to you to train - what you will need to do those things.

I would tell most people that a power rack is nearly mandatory for a home gym if it’s your only training location, but there ways to even circumvent that & some people aren’t interested in barbell work. But the right modular rack from brands like Titan Fitness, Rogue, and Bells of Steel can give safety for barbell work, a place to anchor bands or even some pulley/tower systems, attachments for things like dip horns, landmine, curls/extensions, reverse hypers, belt squats. And they can be fitted with different pull-up bars, or at least be a solid place to lay a swissbar across the top to do neutral grip chin-ups from.

Most people will want some dbs or at least a pair of loadable db handles or adjustable db blocks, all depending on space/money/interest.

Rogue’s Rhino Beltsquat is incredibly good, and can be attached to their power racks. I got to try Bells of Steel at the Arnold this year and would definitely be okay with it, and even Titan’s old one is worth the price if you have the space and want a leg machine that doesn’t tax the back.
You mentioned the Titan Belt Squat - Belt squats tend to hurt my hips and lower back - have you ever tried the Titan leverage squat machine?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Coincidentally I scored a Titan Leg Extension/Curl the other day that I am picking up this weekend for over half off.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Coincidentally I scored a Titan Leg Extension/Curl the other day that I am picking up this weekend for over half off.
Congratulations. That's awesome.

I'd love to hear any at home recommendations that you have.

Titan seems to be a well liked brand. I don't have anything by them but was considering them for a couple pieces I need to add.

I was looking at their cable crossover and seated dip machines. I was thinking about their leverage squat machine or thinking about holding off on the squat and getting the Sydee leverage gym that has a squat attachment on it.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Congratulations. That's awesome.

I'd love to hear any at home recommendations that you have.

Titan seems to be a well liked brand. I don't have anything by them but was considering them for a couple pieces I need to add.

I was looking at their cable crossover and seated dip machines. I was thinking about their leverage squat machine or thinking about holding off on the squat and getting the Sydee leverage gym that has a squat attachment on it.
I’ll let you know once we’ve picked it up and given it some use. Been looking at some Titan stuff for a bit, but this will be the first piece of equipment from them.

Everything else is from Rogue (admittedly don’t have a ton of machines), except one leg press that I don’t remember the brand off the top of my head.

Hoping to swing by Ohio again later this year or early next year for hopefully a couple more things from Rogue. 🤞

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You mentioned the Titan Belt Squat - Belt squats tend to hurt my hips and lower back - have you ever tried the Titan leverage squat machine?
I have not, but I have found most leverage squats to be pretty enjoyable. I don’t know how much they offer beyond removing the stabilization component from squatting, as they still load the spine some and otherwise are similar to squatting (where as a belt squat removes the compression and tractions the low back), but I like those kind of machines generally.

We have one at the barbell club and I think it’s pretty good. Not commercial grade or anything but people there use the heck out of the leg curl. The strength curve gets aggressive towards the top of the curl, but that’s just how that plate-loaded style goes without some kind of cam/mechanical intervention. The leg extension if you play with the position you can get it pretty low stress on the knees while keeping good tension on the quads.

The thing with Titan you guys should know is, it’s not commercial grade & everything is worse than Rogue. BUT it’s generally not that much worse, for a lot less money. The best “cheapo” brand for a lot of their offerings that will only see home/modest use cycles.

Historically they were absolutely awful about shipping damaged goods or missing hardware/parts, but their customer service has always had zero hesitation to ship new/replacement parts no questions asked - they always made it right, fast. As their prices have risen and brand has grown, I think they have cleaned up a lot of the bumbling.

But when I got my Husafell stone, all scratched out of the box from shipping. My Squat Safety Bar v2, end cap of bar punched through box and dented. But their foam drop pads came good, Buffalo bar good, bar holder good, EZ curl bar good, reverse hyper good. Scratches or no, all of that stuff works awesome & I’m happy with the purchases. The reverse hyper is an absolute tank - had 500lbs on it last night, no issue. So I suspect their other recent machines are likely solid in construction as well.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I have not, but I have found most leverage squats to be pretty enjoyable. I don’t know how much they offer beyond removing the stabilization component from squatting, as they still load the spine some and otherwise are similar to squatting (where as a belt squat removes the compression and tractions the low back), but I like those kind of machines generally.
The stabilization is a big thing with me after the accident. I have poor lower back flexibility anyway, so my squatting form has never been able to be perfect, and with the stability issues with my leg now, its hard for me to even squat a bar properly. Plus, having broken my shoulder, I still don't have full mobility back to get my hands back under the bar and really trust that I could secure it.

I used to like belt squats, but I worry that the same things I used to like about them may pull me forward now because of the stabilization issues.

I had thought about a Titan or Sydee leverage squat - but I've been considering buying the Sydee piece that I mentioned earlier in the thread, their leverage system, which I thought may be a good choice for the OP if anyone could vouch for it. https://syedeefitness.com/products/leverage-gym

Sydee has a belt squat and leverage squat too, but I just don't know much about the brand. I've heard of Titan a lot, so that's what made me think to ask when you mentioned it.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thanks for the feedback Hyde. I don’t need it to be a tank, it’s use case won’t be with absolute beasts using it so I’m hoping it’ll do the job.

Dream is one day some nicer equipment, but for now finding stuff cheap when someone else no longer has use is great.

I can’t remember the exact price, but last year I got DBs from 35-75, 80, 90, and 100 plus a three level DB rack for what felt like I was robbing the guy. He was super nice though (and massive), said he was moving and didn’t mind the price just to get it moved and gone.

brandlife

brandlife

Awards
  • First Up Vote

thx for this info. I was really all in on https://www.titan.fitness/strength/specialty-machines/upper-body/functional-trainer/400883.html
And then I was reading that the comparable power rack from titan that I would use as a sister system to this is only a 2 in.² tube and doesn’t play nicely with other attachments that are usually set up for a 3 inch tube

so then I was looking at https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-ft-1-functional-trainer which is just a nicer brand overall and since they make the power racks with the 3 inch tubing and I wanted everything to match I was considering just getting this piece. I thought that with this machine and the power rack with attachments I could really hit every body part along with my new dumbbell set

🧱BrickHouse🧱

🧱BrickHouse🧱

Awards
Been hunting on FB Marketplace up and down the East Coast for the past 5yrs. Big fan and owner of Hammer Strength, Icarian, Nautilus and Cybex - only have 1 Precor (Leg Ext+Curl combo). There’s only a few pieces in the gym that I spent some good $$ on, but majority have been paid for by flipping equipment over the years + trades - the rest have been foolishly low priced steals that I jumped on. I’ve almost completed my “need/want” list and super stoked about it.
It’s become an obsession and my hobby, let alone my saving grace now that we had our first kid 6mo ago. Also have made a lot of connections and networked myself to where I now help out local commercial gyms - hoping to expand upon it in the near future.

Attachments

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Been hunting on FB Marketplace up and down the East Coast for the past 5yrs. Big fan and owner of Hammer Strength, Icarian, Nautilus and Cybex - only have 1 Precor (Leg Ext+Curl combo). There’s only a few pieces in the gym that I spent some good $$ on, but majority have been paid for by flipping equipment over the years + trades - the rest have been foolishly low priced steals that I jumped on. I’ve almost completed my “need/want” list and super stoked about it.
It’s become an obsession and my hobby, let alone my saving grace now that we had our first kid 6mo ago. Also have made a lot of connections and networked myself to where I now help out local commercial gyms - hoping to expand upon it in the near future.
Whoa, you're not moving anytime soon o_O That's quite the setup!

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That’s your house???

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
thx for this info. I was really all in on https://www.titan.fitness/strength/specialty-machines/upper-body/functional-trainer/400883.html
And then I was reading that the comparable power rack from titan that I would use as a sister system to this is only a 2 in.² tube and doesn’t play nicely with other attachments that are usually set up for a 3 inch tube

so then I was looking at https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-ft-1-functional-trainer which is just a nicer brand overall and since they make the power racks with the 3 inch tubing and I wanted everything to match I was considering just getting this piece. I thought that with this machine and the power rack with attachments I could really hit every body part along with my new dumbbell set
They have a few series of power racks - T2, T3, and Titan, which all have different tube/hardware size I believe. Their Titan is a ripoff of Rogue’s Monster chassis. Not sure if they will all fit with the other stuff you want from them, but it’s definitely not all 2in tubing.

Their T3 and Titan racks are on sale for 15% off this weekend btw, for anyone shopping those.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Well got in the leg extension/curl, just need to figure out where I want to get it set up. Lady who was selling it had all Titan gear, she had that reverse leg press and leverage squatter. She was moving and new gym meant she had to downsize and that was the only reason she was selling it, thing look pretty much brand new.

00F20126-5304-4FE1-B42E-C7108E7C67F6.jpeg

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Well got in the leg extension/curl, just need to figure out where I want to get it set up. Lady who was selling it had all Titan gear, she had that reverse leg press and leverage squatter. She was moving and new gym meant she had to downsize and that was the only reason she was selling it, thing look pretty much brand new.
That looks good. Glad you got a good deal on it.

Titan seems to be a fairly good brand. I was looking at a seated dip by them and a couple other things.

I have a lot of Body Solid equipment that I like that I got years ago, but their prices have went up a lot over the years and I don't really think the pieces that I need now are worth the prices they're charging for them. So I had been looking at a few pieces by Titan and Sydee, which I'd never heard of before but seems to have decent reviews.

lamarclark09

Awards
I would recommend to have following things in home gym
  • Dumbbell
  • Barbell
  • Resistance bands
  • Cardio machines
  • Kettlebells
  • Punching bags

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
My home gym is mostly dumbbells and some commercial equipment. I'm not a big fan of that residential home gym stuff. The commercial stuff costs more but if you can find a place by you that sells used commercial gym equipment that is the way to go. It also depends how much space you have. I also have a smith machine and cables for rowing and lat pull downs. Weird part is, I never use the stuff and always go to the gym.

Question for you all on this topic: years back I did some business with this guy on wall street (super wealthy guy) and he had the most ridiculous home gym I have ever seen to this day. But there was 1 piece of equipment that really caught my eye. It was kind of like a smith machine except it was electric. There was a barbell that was attached to 2 wires and it would move however you wanted it to, unlike a smith machine which locks you in. It was a regular olympic barbell where you load the weights and the device was plugged in, so when you would turn your wrists the cables would automatically hold the barbell in place so you never had to worry about it falling on you (unless the power went out) but it was never locked into a specific motion like in a smith machine - it was just a free range barbell.

Anybody know what exactly that device is called or where I can buy it? It was so much better than a smith machine but I've never seen it since then.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
My home gym is mostly dumbbells and some commercial equipment. I'm not a big fan of that residential home gym stuff. The commercial stuff costs more but if you can find a place by you that sells used commercial gym equipment that is the way to go. It also depends how much space you have. I also have a smith machine and cables for rowing and lat pull downs. Weird part is, I never use the stuff and always go to the gym.

Question for you all on this topic: years back I did some business with this guy on wall street (super wealthy guy) and he had the most ridiculous home gym I have ever seen to this day. But there was 1 piece of equipment that really caught my eye. It was kind of like a smith machine except it was electric. There was a barbell that was attached to 2 wires and it would move however you wanted it to, unlike a smith machine which locks you in. It was a regular olympic barbell where you load the weights and the device was plugged in, so when you would turn your wrists the cables would automatically hold the barbell in place so you never had to worry about it falling on you (unless the power went out) but it was never locked into a specific motion like in a smith machine - it was just a free range barbell.

Anybody know what exactly that device is called or where I can buy it? It was so much better than a smith machine but I've never seen it since then.
I saw one of those years ago when I used to still do personal training for people had severe health issues and the other trainers in the area wouldn't work with them. I've tried several times over the years to find what the name of that thing was.

I've never been able to find it anywhere no matter what search terms I looked up. If I remember correctly the brand started with an S or something. I wonder if we're talking about the same thing. Did it just look like it kind of hung and had you had free range of motion?

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I saw one of those years ago when I used to still do personal training for people had severe health issues and the other trainers in the area wouldn't work with them. I've tried several times over the years to find what the name of that thing was.

I've never been able to find it anywhere no matter what search terms I looked up. If I remember correctly the brand started with an S or something. I wonder if we're talking about the same thing. Did it just look like it kind of hung and had you had free range of motion?
Yes! It just hung there and you can complete free range of motion with it. I thought it was so cool. I'm surprised the other trainers wouldn't work with them. It basically had the safety of a smith machine but the use of a free weight barbell. I never understood why there weren't more out there.

It may have started with an S... I honestly don't remember though. We are going back a bit in history here.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yes! It just hung there and you can complete free range of motion with it. I thought it was so cool. I'm surprised the other trainers wouldn't work with them. It basically had the safety of a smith machine but the use of a free weight barbell. I never understood why there weren't more out there.

It may have started with an S... I honestly don't remember though. We are going back a bit in history here.
Yes, that's the one. And it was years ago - I remember them saying it was super expensive and it may have been ahead of its time. Like this was before you saw anything advanced at all - I remember this was almost like some space age type of thing for the time period bc it was probably 15 to 20 years ago. I have looked for one several times over the years because its just incredible the versatility it had. You could literally give out on a shoulder press and just move your hands and let go.

If you ever find out what that is, please let me know; and I'll do the same.

@Resolve10 and @Hyde - you both seem to know a lot about workout equipment. Do either of you by any chance happen to know what the name of the thing me and Stacks1 are talking about?

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yes, that's the one. And it was years ago - I remember them saying it was super expensive and it may have been ahead of its time. Like this was before you saw anything advanced at all - I remember this was almost like some space age type of thing for the time period bc it was probably 15 to 20 years ago. I have looked for one several times over the years because its just incredible the versatility it had. You could literally give out on a shoulder press and just move your hands and let go.

If you ever find out what that is, please let me know; and I'll do the same.

@Resolve10 and @Hyde - you both seem to know a lot about workout equipment. Do either of you by any chance happen to know what the name of the thing me and Stacks1 are talking about?
That is EXACTLY it. When I saw it I assumed I would see more in the future because it was such an amazing device but I never saw it again.

If anyone could please help us out it would be much appreciated! Unfortunately since I haven't seen one in over 15 years I'm going to assume it probably doesn't exist anymore.