Is This Overtraining?

nd22121

Awards
Hey Everyone,
I am looking for some advice as to whether this would be over training.
Right now I am doing the 5x5 workout. Quick summary for those that dont know, its 3 days a week, 1 day rest in between. M=Squat 5sets for 5 reps, Military press 5x5, Deadlift 5x5, and if i want weighted chins 3x5. W=Squat 5x5, Bench 5x5, BBell Row 5x5. The i just alternate those workouts MWF.
Now I recently started adding cardio back in and I have been doing hill sprints out side my house 2 days a week. I live in a wooded acre, and I was thinking of creating a type of course for my cardio using the big rocks to run up small hills in my yard, followed by some presses of the rocks, maybe a few reps of pull and chin ups, then some plyos to end, and do a few rounds of it. I also have kayaks that I considered picking up in each hand like a farmers carry and running up this path near the lake.

My diet is pretty good right now. I have been eating less total calories to try and decrease by bodyfat level. I guess one potential problem would be lack of energy as I would be doing this after work and I have been backing off the carb intake as the day goes on, and increasing the fat. Protein stays pretty consistent at 280-300 grams a day, my BW is 196 lbs right now.
I'm just wondering if adding this type of cardio would be too much for me in addition to the 5x5 workout. Should I just stick with my hill sprints?

I forgot to mention that every workout, if I can do 5x5 reps then the weight increases by 5lbs. So I am trying to get stronger and potentially lifting heavier and heavier every week.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In a calorie defecit adding in a ton of cardio could definitely decrease your energy. But that sounds like a lot of fun the type of cardio you're looking to do, maybe switch out with the sprints occasionally? kind of jealous of your wooded acre, lol.

nd22121

Awards
In a calorie defecit adding in a ton of cardio could definitely decrease your energy. But that sounds like a lot of fun the type of cardio you're looking to do, maybe switch out with the sprints occasionally? kind of jealous of your wooded acre, lol.
yea your probably right. i think i will test it out and see how i feel for a week or so. yea i like the hill sprints because they are just brutal when you do them right and very effective, but sometimes they get repetitive and boring. and i was looking around my house at all these things and i thought i could make up a pretty challenging course to make things more interesting.
yea lol i was lucky to see this house on the market, i am thankful for it.

thanks for your response. i think i'll give it a try.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think your fine. Just take in the proper nutritients and get some good recovery supps and you should be ok.

Dulce

Dulce

Awards
sounds good :)