Overtraining

VersatileGG

VersatileGG

Awards
Good evening everyone. Has anyone here ever dealt with true overtraining? Or 'overtraining syndrome' as they call it? This is more geared towards natural bodybuilders who train intensely several times a week and EAT and SLEEP good.

Background: I've been natural bodybuilding for around 5-6 years (15-21) and have progressively gotten stronger. At age 21 I've hit some of the craziest numbers ever. (4 plate barbell row, 3 plate bench, 4-5plate squat, 5-6 plate rack pulls, 2 plate curls) at my peak.. these were all done for REPS!! I kept at around this high intensity with high volume for along time, progressing slowly even with bad sleep, however I hit a crutch and progressively began to get weaker. I know why am I training if I'm getting weaker, well simply because the gym is my happy place. I probably lost around 30% strength at this point...

Moreover, I've noticed something I've brushed off for a long time now. My sleep has been fragmented for probably a whole year or more now. I wake up 2-3 times a night and never seem to get in "deep sleep". I see in my face I look tired as their are bags. I even developed a form of anhedonia (not sure if this is related to overtraining). I don't feel adrenaline.. at all! It's very frustrating and depressing. Don't feel pleasure.

Moreover, my physique and progress has STALLED hard, which I attribute to the sleep as I eat a high quality organic diet.

I'm really trying to fix this problem so I guess my main questions here are:
Does this sound like overtraining syndrome?
What are symptoms you've had from it?
How can I quickly return to normal?!
Can I train or no training at all?

Also because I'm natural I thought mega dosing high quality natural T boosters would help (alternative to TRT) tongkat ali, black maca, cistanche, cordyceps but they haven't at all. Not sure if they are making matters worse...? Can I continue these as I recover?

Also I doubt it's sleep apnea as I don't snore or choke in my sleep. I just wake up suddenly.

Before this anhedonia, I remember feeling anxiety 24/7 and I've read about the stages of overtraining syndrome. I thought it was bull crap but now it sounds like I'm in a deep hole here. I've still got a muscular natural physique, but I've lost progress and it's continuing to get worse. Just looking for someone real here to chime in. Thank you for your time and reading this

Last edited:
VersatileGG

VersatileGG

Awards
The worst part is the anhedonia, which I thought was caused by ashwagandha, but even after stopping it I still have it.
Here's what I take for those wondering:
Alpha GPC, Gorilla mode preworkout, (test boosters above), creatine, beta alanine, multi vitamin, d3/k2 and b1(thiamin) and l carnitine .. everything to support my training and I still feel like ****!!

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Not to give to simple of an answer, esp considering the detailed post. But yes, that sounds like overtraining.

You're young, and you thought (probably still subconsciously think) that you are invincible and that anyone who talked about overtraining was just making excuses.

If you push yourself hard, you will break yourself down and you will grow, if you allow your body to recover. If you don't allow your body to recover, you'll just continue to decline as you break yourself down more and more.

Learn to deload. Take steps to get better rest. Consider going to your happy place, but focus on training others instead of yourself, so that you don't train too often.