Pdawgg15

Banned
Awards
Everything else seems to grow besides my chest please help lol

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Everything else seems to grow besides my chest please help lol
Here are some things that have really developed my chest which is my greatest asset. Dumbbell incline press, decline barbell bench, incline cable flys, decline cable flys, incline press machine, dumbbell bench press.

I really don't care for bench press as it puts a lot of stress on my shoulders and I have a lingering shoulder injury. If I do bench, it's lightweight for 14-20 reps. Ever since I stopped the bench and went to dumbbell, I have noticed a huge increase in chest progress.

Work a lot of angles. I'm determined just laying on a flat bench all day does little to actually develop the entire pectoral muscle to its best ability.

Don't be afraid to mix it up. Not only did I do the standard 3x10 for months, but I threw in negatives, pause sets, pyramids, 5x5, and now I'm doing a high volume program. My chest personally reacts well to that.

Hope all this helps a little.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
It's not growing?! Then now you have a reason to do it more. It is the best most amazing body part to train. :)

Seriously the post above makes a lot of sense but bench press is still king of chest workouts. Actually it is the best workout for me, until I injured my shoulders too lol. Post pics so we know what you really mean about "everything is growing except chest"

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Seriously the post above makes a lot of sense but bench press is still king of chest workouts. Actually it is the best workout for me, until I injured my shoulders too lol.
And barbell bench is most definitely king. However there is a common issue with bench and shoulder issues. Be aware of that. I now prefer dumbbell bench because of that. And I still feel like I'm getting a great pressing workout

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
And barbell bench is most definitely king. However there is a common issue with bench and shoulder issues. Be aware of that. I now prefer dumbbell bench because of that. And I still feel like I'm getting a great pressing workout
True that. I was diagnosed with a weightlifters shoulder, only cause is heavy flat barbell benching. I have come to love the dbs presses myself but the weights get way too thick. So dbs above 110s hits my pec too early and I feel like I don't get a super nice stretch that I enjoy when I'm pressing 100lb dbs. Then at that you have issues with weights being too light.

For now I'm happy I can do incline barbell presses so I can still go heavy on those.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
True that. I was diagnosed with a weightlifters shoulder, only cause is heavy flat barbell benching. I have come to love the dbs presses myself but the weights get way too thick. So dbs above 110s hits my pec too early and I feel like I don't get a super nice stretch that I enjoy when I'm pressing 100lb dbs. Then at that you have issues with weights being too light. For now I'm happy I can do incline barbell presses so I can still go heavy on those.
I haven't exactly run into that issue haha. I got up to 85's before the shoulder started to bother me and so I've been back to 70's for the time being.

Pdawgg15

Banned
Awards
I haven't exactly run into that issue haha. I got up to 85's before the shoulder started to bother me and so I've been back to 70's for the time being.
when I try to go past 35s on anything dumbbell or barbell my hand goes numb

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Just go for failure with lighter weights simple
We might have an entirely different situation on our hands though. This could be a 16 year old kid who can't develop his chest because he can't bench 95 lbs. sounds like his chest doesn't develop because he's a newb and hasnt worked on it.

Pdawgg15

Banned
Awards
We might have an entirely different situation on our hands though. This could be a 16 year old kid who can't develop his chest because he can't bench 95 lbs. sounds like his chest doesn't develop because he's a newb and hasnt worked on it.
stopped training chest about a year ago because my shoulders started to hurt... But i need to get back into training them

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
stopped training chest about a year ago because my shoulders started to hurt... But i need to get back into training them
Well I wonder why your chest hasn't been developing

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Haha that's why I said post pics cause I've never seen a situation where everything "grows" except chest. Kinda an impossibility in my realm

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Haha that's why I said post pics cause I've never seen a situation where everything "grows" except chest. Kinda an impossibility in my realm
You were right! I've learned not to answer these threads now. Moronic kids.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well I wonder why your chest hasn't been developing
Haha i know. he doesnt do chest and hes asking why his chest wont grow is that his question? haha.

But i would recommend just doing machines then if DB and barbell hurt you.

Pdawgg15

Banned
Awards
Haha i know. he doesnt do chest and hes asking why his chest wont grow is that his question? haha.

But i would recommend just doing machines then if DB and barbell hurt you.
I do chest but when I do my hand goes numb like my thumb.. I

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I do chest but when I do my hand goes numb like my thumb.. I
Have you been to the Dr? There is something called thoracic outlet syndrome, it is very rare but has some of the same symptoms. Could be something else but definitely get it checked out! No need in just "not training" something and just ignoring the problem!

Pdawgg15

Banned
Awards
No you said you stopped training chest about a year ago. Maybe experiment with how you grip the bar
I am doing that my arm hasn't went numb I think I was just going lower than I should of been. Right now I'm doing baby weight an sticking with the basics also doing a lot of cable stuff an that seems to work better for me

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
I find I'm getting the best chest pump these days with weighted dips (leaning forward) and dumbbell pullovers. They seem to be easier on my shoulders than heavy bench. I don't have the biggest chest myself but those are the exercises I seem to feel the most in my chest.