Old guy training 3 young fellas. Has me wondering wth?

jayo84

jayo84

Awards
  • Established
Ok, maybe I am just not experienced enough, but a big red flag went up when I saw this guy in the gym.

He had to be about 60 years old with 3 13-14yr old boys lifting. All 3 had lifting belts around their torso for every workout. He had them all swinging barbells with 10lb plates for what looked to be a curl. These kids were using their whole body to get the weight up, none of them were big kids, and one was already hunched over with terrible posture. He then has them do dumbbell rows again with belts on and throwing every bit of momentum to try and get heavy dumbbells up. I think this is not safe at all, and I really wanted to say something but I didn't.

He also had them trying to bench weight they should never be near, and he would basically do the work for them by pulling it up every time.

Am I wrong for being concerned?

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
No, valid concerns, hate that ****, but it may not be correct to intrude either, that's your call.

badwolf42

Awards
Seems like a valid concern to me. Unless you have virtually unquestionable authority in the gym with almost everyone in the gym its probably best to leave them be and try to not get hurt when they are flailing around. Unfortunately the old guy probably has a false sense of knowledge and likely won't take advice.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Seems like a valid concern to me. Unless you have virtually unquestionable authority in the gym with almost everyone in the gym its probably best to leave them be and try to not get hurt when they are flailing around. Unfortunately the old guy probably has a false sense of knowledge and likely won't take advice.
Agree here. Unless there is a very blatant element of danger, I keep my nose out because there is a lot of ignorance in the gym. In 23 years of lifting, I have stepped into 2 situations that were not just dangerous for the individual, but those around.

On the plus side, it is always good to see young kids wanting or showing an interest in getting strong. Even though this probably was a bad experience to encourage that.

madripper32

madripper32

Awards
  • Established
Maybe soon the kids will start coming without the old dude and you can give them some friendly advice when it's not as hostile.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've talked to people before in the gym when I think they are at risk of hurting themselves.

One time I actually came up behind this guy and racked a barbell off his shoulders that he was trying to squat. He was probably 16 years old and trying to squat 225lbs when he probably should have been using around 135lbs tops. He was leaning over trying to squat and his back was taking much of the load.

I stopped him and tried to teach.

jayo84

jayo84

Awards
  • Established
All good points. Yeah I have yet to intrude on people that are performing dangerous exercises. Certain gym people hold to their workouts like people and religion. I just get upset thinking that someone may be paying this guy to get their kids stronger, and he is in there potentially hurting them. I am a parent, and would not want that guy teaching my kid anything.

jayo84

jayo84

Awards
  • Established
jayo84

jayo84

Awards
  • Established
And you all thought this was case closed??

Wrong LOL! They were there again!!! And I got photographic evidence!! HAHAHA

Again, all wearing belts. Again throwing their entire bodies to move the weight.

And yes you are seeing a 13-14 year old getting ready to put another 45 on. so that all 3 of them can lift 225lbs!!! The old guy does all the work by lifting it from them.

the one kid is prolly weighing in at 120lbs... and benching 225lbs!