Do TEMPO really matters?

amarula

Awards
You can easily find the ones that advocates tempo as a must when comes to lifting for mass and fat loss but many coaches say it really doesnt' matter

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
You can easily find the ones that advocates tempo as a must when comes to lifting for mass and fat loss but many coaches say it really doesnt' matter
I say it depends on movement. Like leg extensions I like to go as fast as possibly up and than slowly control it down. Can really feel the burn this way.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Important how? This can be somewhat goal dependent in my opinion. If you are looking to generate as much force, like in powerlifting, as possible, then exploding may improve your performance. If you are looking to build muscle mass and prevent injuries, then yes, I think tempo is very important.

I think many lifters move the weight too fast, because their ego guides them, and this allows them to move more weight with less effort. This puts enormous strain on the muscle and a lot of people never think about inertia when lifting. What goes up must come down. We don't realize that if we throw a weight up, at some point that force reverses and comes crashing down. That means impact on our joints and sudden stress on our muscles.

There is also evidence that slow negatives induce damage that creates hypertrophy.

Because of all of this, I do slow reps. Not super-slow, but maybe 3-4 seconds concentric, 2 second contracted pause, 3-4 second eccentric. That is still much slower than most people go.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
The guy above hit it on the nail. Goal dependant.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
In my mind Tempo is very Goal dependent. From the speed of the weight your moving to keeping an accurate eye on your rest times Tempo is indeed everything and can make or break a training session. Efficiency is the name of the game when you know what outcome you are trying to achieve.

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
I think tempo definitely matters.

Training for power/strength/max velocity then you want quicker tempos. For example sprinters sprinter or track & field athletes.

Training for hypertrophy, slower eccentric portions of the lift are extremely challenging and can cause great hypertrophy responses

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
In my mind Tempo is very Goal dependent. From the speed of the weight your moving to keeping an accurate eye on your rest times Tempo is indeed everything and can make or break a training session. Efficiency is the name of the game when you know what outcome you are trying to achieve.
Very much agree on this. I have found that timing between calve work should be minimal, rest times short and really focus slowly on the entire movement.

jaces

jaces

Awards
For me it is 'rep' and. Time dependent ,, if I go for heavy reps(lower than 10) I go wth a slow negatiwe and moderate pos. ,, if its higher reps il go wth faster reps bcuz time undr tension is long enough ,, as for timing il do faster reps at the end of my workout bcuz I get mre of a pump and it realy taxes the muscles

jaces

jaces

Awards
I think tempo definitely matters.

Training for power/strength/max velocity then you want quicker tempos. For example sprinters sprinter or track & field athletes.

Training for hypertrophy, slower eccentric portions of the lift are extremely challenging and can cause great hypertrophy responses
Isnt slow negatiwe training also good for strength?

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
Isnt slow negatiwe training also good for strength?
Correct. But it should be done in phases as well, which is why you'll see powermifters also train for velocity.

For a track athlete, he may squat to build strength but I have my clients do so a diff tempos in different phase . And work on explosive velocity as well, since his primary goal is speed and developing more efficient / stronger fats twitch muscle fibers

jaces

jaces

Awards
Correct. But it should be done in phases as well, which is why you'll see powermifters also train for velocity.

For a track athlete, he may squat to build strength but I have my clients do so a diff tempos in different phase . And work on explosive velocity as well, since his primary goal is speed and developing more efficient / stronger fats twitch muscle fibers
Ah I see ,, we did squat jumps for explosive power ,,

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
Ah I see ,, we did squat jumps for explosive power ,,
Now that's something I'm hesitant to do with weigh . Too much potential for injur . Rather do heavy squats, then bodyweight jump squats immediately

jaces

jaces

Awards
Now that's something I'm hesitant to do with weigh . Too much potential for injur . Rather do heavy squats, then bodyweight jump squats immediately
Did it with a 10kg sand bag or 40kg kenetic bands

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't know the science behind this, but are you saying that a slow eccentric won't improve strength? Or that a slow eccentric reduces explosive force on a particular rep? i.e. - If I do slow eccentrics on my bench presses, I won't be able to use as much weight and it will hurt my "strength" in that workout? Or are you saying that doing slow eccentrics will not help me improve my workout from today to next week, etc.?

jaces

jaces

Awards
No, it's not at all. A slow eccentric reduces the stretch-reflex within the Golgi.
Ah ok so your talking about the golgi located at the point were the tendon and muscle are conectd?? but im talking about just negatiwes were the partner helps lift the weight and you control the negatiwe?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know the science behind this, but are you saying that a slow eccentric won't improve strength? Or that a slow eccentric reduces explosive force on a particular rep? i.e. - If I do slow eccentrics on my bench presses, I won't be able to use as much weight and it will hurt my "strength" in that workout? Or are you saying that doing slow eccentrics will not help me improve my workout from today to next week, etc.?
When I say strength, I mean absolute 1RM strength.

Ah ok so your talking about the golgi located at the point were the tendon and muscle are conectd?? but im talking about just negatiwes were the partner helps lift the weight and you control the negatiwe?
Yes, that what I speaking of and negatives are a poor technique for strength especially when there are many more efficient methods for overload.

jaces

jaces

Awards
When I say strength, I mean absolute 1RM strength.

Yes, that what I speaking of and negatives are a poor technique for strength especially when there are many more efficient methods for overload.
Ok thank you for the info bro