Reverse calf raises for flat feet.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I have flat feet, I pretty much have no arch at all. I used to over pronate very bad, that has become way better; however the fact remains my feet are still very flat. I know the anterior and posterior tibialis effect pronation. I know, that reverse calf raises target the tibialis. If I were to do reverse calf raises and maybe some other tibialis strength work without doing any calf isolation work, could that help lessen the flatness of my feet?

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Unless it's your bone structure (genetic), this is reversible by starting to use your BIG TOE when you walk and run. Push with your big toe and use your calf muscles properly. This will build the natural arch and strength of your foot.

Strengthen the medial hamstrings and stretch the lateral one to avoid duck feet.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
the position and mobility of the navicular bone have more to do with [over]pronation than the tibialis muscles. there are 2 theories out there on how to fix this, wear highly supported gear or wear minimalist and non supportive gear.

the supportive gear would be like wearing orthotics or inserts in all your shoes as well as wearing athletic shoes that have built in support. this would be analogous to having a short table leg and instead of replacing it with a one of the proper leg length you place a support under the short leg.

the non supportive gear has you wear minimalist shoes, like nike free runners. there is mounting evidence showing that over a few years overpronation can be corrected during the gait cycle and while standing.

you need to decide which one you want to focus on. the best thing you can do is go to a specialty running store and have them analyze your gait. they commonly will have you walk and or run on a treadmill and film you for detailed analysis.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
the position and mobility of the navicular bone have more to do with [over]pronation than the tibialis muscles. there are 2 theories out there on how to fix this, wear highly supported gear or wear minimalist and non supportive gear. the supportive gear would be like wearing orthotics or inserts in all your shoes as well as wearing athletic shoes that have built in support. this would be analogous to having a short table leg and instead of replacing it with a one of the proper leg length you place a support under the short leg. the non supportive gear has you wear minimalist shoes, like nike free runners. there is mounting evidence showing that over a few years overpronation can be corrected during the gait cycle and while standing. you need to decide which one you want to focus on. the best thing you can do is go to a specialty running store and have them analyze your gait. they commonly will have you walk and or run on a treadmill and film you for detailed analysis.
Very good info. I'm impressed

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Very good info. I'm impressed
I spent 5 years working at a specialty running store where 40% of their business came from doctor's referrals. We had monthly training from various doctors, physical therapists, and even R&D people from shoe manufacturers. It is amazing what is put into running and walking shoes.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I spent 5 years working at a specialty running store where 40% of their business came from doctor's referrals. We had monthly training from various doctors, physical therapists, and even R&D people from shoe manufacturers. It is amazing what is put into running and walking shoes.
I've used support shoes and they just hurt my feet. The shoes I have now have some support, but no midfoot support. I tried to find minimalist shoes, but I can not find any, anywhere that offer anything beyond a medium width. I have to buy shoes in a 4E width. That being said, my current shoes have been the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn, but I'd love to somehow find minimalist shoes. Also I do know for a fact I have tight hamstring and I've been a heavy PC gamer for years, so who knows how long I've had tight hamstrings.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Support shoes can hurt your feet at first especially if they have a high arch inside the shoe. You do get used to it and after a while it hurts not to have that higher arch.

Just keep in mind that a high arch does not mean support of any kind. It can, but doesn't always mean it.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Support shoes can hurt your feet at first especially if they have a high arch inside the shoe. You do get used to it and after a while it hurts not to have that higher arch.

Just keep in mind that a high arch does not mean support of any kind. It can, but doesn't always mean it.
Yeah, I tried arch support shoes for two year, then just went with something that has little support and no more foot pain.