ab workouts

srocco112

srocco112

Awards
  • Established
Who out there is a believer that going lighter with higher reps and focusing on form is better than lower rep and heavier weight for ab workouts?

Use a workout such as cable crunches for example.

Peppers

Peppers

Banned
Awards
I personally don't work abs.

No need if your hitting your compound lifts.

Unless you wanna shed stubborn fat, then maybe I'd go high reps.

Pointless to me, my abs have always been hard or popping out and I haven't worked them since high school.

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
I do abs once per week like any other muscle & focus more on sets than reps...I am a firm believer in volume training & intensity over the number of reps or weight. However, abs are really made in the kitchen...I go by feel. Some days the reps are higher (15-20) and other days they are lower (10-12)...again just like any other muscle.

EWolfe08

EWolfe08

Awards
I don't think it makes a difference when working abs. It's debatable thought. I do a combination of both, twice a week.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I personally don't work abs. No need if your hitting your compound lifts. Unless you wanna shed stubborn fat, then maybe I'd go high reps. Pointless to me, my abs have always been hard or popping out and I haven't worked them since high school.
I don't know where this started, but this needs to die off. Triceps are indirectly worked with all presses and biceps with all rows and pull-ups/pulldowns, yet everyone still works them.

There is never a case of everything within the core firing at 100% concurrently since no person has perfect posture throughout the day and everyone has some sort of imbalance. Doing abs for an aesthetic purpose is debatable, but there is zero debate about the importance of training them from either a performance or health perspective.

That being said, I train core twice per week in the 10-15 rep range for 3-4 sets. I vary my focus beyond trunk flexion and include lateral flexion (e.g. side bends), anti-extension (e.g. ab wheel), and rotational/anti-rotational work.

Peppers

Peppers

Banned
Awards
I don't know where this started, but this needs to die off. Triceps are indirectly worked with all presses and biceps with all rows and pull-ups/pulldowns, yet everyone still works them. There is never a case of everything within the core firing at 100% concurrently since no person has perfect posture throughout the day and everyone has some sort of imbalance. Doing abs for an aesthetic purpose is debatable, but there is zero debate about the importance of training them from either a performance or health perspective. That being said, I train core twice per week in the 10-15 rep range for 3-4 sets. I vary my focus beyond trunk flexion and include lateral flexion (e.g. side bends), anti-extension (e.g. ab wheel), and rotational/anti-rotational work.
Good for you.

I personally don't need to waste time with them.

The day after doing pull ups my abs are more sore than ever doing crunches etc
Idk maybe I'm trying to hard doing pull-ups and working my core, ahh shucks.

My abs have always popped w/o the tedious chore of working them. This is my opinion an works fine for me.

I also never work arms. Pull-ups and dips do just fine along with every other press and pull move you stated.

Unless your directly looking for your abs to show or competing, I don't see the need to work them.

You work your core plenty doing compound lifts.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good for you. I personally don't need to waste time with them. The day after doing pull ups my abs are more sore than ever doing crunches etc Idk maybe I'm trying to hard doing pull-ups and working my core, ahh shucks. My abs have always popped w/o the tedious chore of working them. This is my opinion an works fine for me. I also never work arms. Pull-ups and dips do just fine along with every other press and pull move you stated. Unless your directly looking for your abs to show or competing, I don't see the need to work them. You work your core plenty doing compound lifts.
The whole "works for me" perspective has little merit and if you like being imbalanced, more power to you. You cannot merely train compounds without supplemental ancillary work. This is something that everyone worth their salt with agree with when it comes to training.

Peppers

Peppers

Banned
Awards
How would I be unbalanced from not doing "side bends" wtf

Deadlifts, Squats, Standing Military Presses, PullUps, Etc Enough for me.

Sorry to jack your thread bro, was just stating my opinion as you asked.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How would I be unbalanced from not doing "side bends" wtf Deadlifts, Squats, Standing Military Presses, PullUps, Etc Enough for me. Sorry to jack your thread bro, was just stating my opinion as you asked.
Everyone is imbalanced. I do all of the following lifts you state and I know for a fact that these do not prevent imbalances. Your psoas, quadratus lumborum, transverse abdominis, etc. are never concurrently firing at 100%. It's not possible for anyone to have these completely at full capacity without direct attention.

Peppers

Peppers

Banned
Awards
Maybe from your stats or being a power lifter it plays a role.

Or if he wants to be an underwear model.

I lift because I like to lift, my abs get worked enough for my liking with other lifts. I've had a visible 6 pack many times and never worked abs. I just don't like wasting my gym time on them.

If you like working them bro, work them.
You can follow some advice given.
Good luck.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Maybe from your stats or being a power lifter it plays a role. Or if he wants to be an underwear model. I lift because I like to lift, my abs get worked enough for my liking with other lifts. I've had a visible 6 pack many times and never worked abs. I just don't like wasting my gym time on them. If you like working them bro, work them. You can follow some advice given. Good luck.
For anyone looking at training from a health or performance perspective, core plays an essential role.

Peppers

Peppers

Banned
Awards
For anyone looking at training from a health or performance perspective, core plays an essential role.
Agreed.

But crunches and side bends ain't cutting it IMO

I did all kinds of planks and ****, goofy **** in prison and it didn't help me do anything but burn calories.

It didn't increase my lifts, or make me stand up straighter or make me faster. Etc etc

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Heavy compounds do work your abs no doubt. BUT extra core work is something that can make quite a bit if difference in training and stability.

It's kinda like saying if you do chest you don't NEED to isolate triceps......but if you isolate triceps they develop better.

Whatever works. I personally train abs heavy but in a high rep range. Two exercises three times a week. One targeting lower abs more and one targeting upper abs more.

Peppers

Peppers

Banned
Awards
Heavy compounds do work your abs no doubt. BUT extra core work is something that can make quite a bit if difference in training and stability. It's kinda like saying if you do chest you don't NEED to isolate triceps......but if you isolate triceps they develop better. Whatever works. I personally train abs heavy but in a high rep range. Two exercises three times a week. One targeting lower abs more and one targeting upper abs more.
Agreed. You worded it nicely.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed. But crunches and side bends ain't cutting it IMO I did all kinds of planks and ****, goofy **** in prison and it didn't help me do anything but burn calories. It didn't increase my lifts, or make me stand up straighter or make me faster. Etc etc
I don't endorse ground-based crunches since no lift that is limited by core strength is done on your back and the ROM is minimal. Side bends are very effective, but few do them with enough weight (at least 50-60% of BW) for them to show any merit. There are dozens of core movements that work tremendously well yet they're ignored for the usual BS that people do when the word "abs" is mentioned.

Peppers

Peppers

Banned
Awards
I think there is no wrong answer here.

We all agree the core plays a role in overall health and fitness, we just choose the amount of work we put into that aspect of our training.

EWolfe08

EWolfe08

Awards
I agree 100% with this. And just for clarification when I stated "I don't think it makes a difference" I was only referring to an aesthetic sense. I guess being a competitor thats what comes to mind first. LOL. Definitely train your core other then just compound lifts.

Peppers

Peppers

Banned
Awards
I agree 100% with this. And just for clarification when I stated "I don't think it makes a difference" I was only referring to an aesthetic sense. I guess being a competitor thats what comes to mind first. LOL. Definitely train your core other then just compound lifts.
Don't start dick riding bro, you know better. Lol

The thread is dead.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think there is no wrong answer here. We all agree the core plays a role in overall health and fitness, we just choose the amount of work we put into that aspect of our training.
Time wise is maybe 20-25 mins per week. They're by no means time consuming. I'll often do rollouts while I'm cooking food since I'm usually gassed out by the end of my lower body training (the days I train abs).

Peppers

Peppers

Banned
Awards
Time wise is maybe 20-25 mins per week. They're by no means time consuming. I'll often do rollouts while I'm cooking food since I'm usually gassed out by the end of my lower body training (the days I train abs).
Honestly, I skip them because by the time my sessions are over, I'm gassed and got nothing left. I don't want to save energy and skip out on giving my my all to more important lifts.

Just my preference.

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
OP, if you search for the user "ZiR RED" you'll probably be able to find some abdominal exercises he's suggested before

srocco112

srocco112

Awards
  • Established
Well thanks for all the feedback. I didnt mean to start a war on here lol. If one person is able to obtain the core and abs that he desires without directly hitting ab workouts, all the power to him.

I was just looking for some input on other peoples techniques. Thanks!

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I personally don't work abs.

No need if your hitting your compound lifts.

Unless you wanna shed stubborn fat, then maybe I'd go high reps.

Pointless to me, my abs have always been hard or popping out and I haven't worked them since high school.
Derp

asilentj3w

Awards
Idk what that means but if your throwing shots, let me know.
Indeed shots fired

OP - for what it's worth...heres my $0.02. I hit core 2-3 times per week. On my max effort lower day I'll do a high rep core circuit consisting of 3 exercises for 20 reps each that hit all planes of movement. On my dynamic effort lower day I'll do 4 sets for 10-15 reps of weighted abs. The 3rd time is usually just a BS extra work core session I'll do before hiit or something. The 3rd isn't serious. I follow Joe DeFrancos westside for skinny bastards plan right now. I think we all agreed earlier that the main compound lifts will help build up abs but focused work is useful. When I say hit all planes of movement I mean that I'll do something like reverse crunches or hanging leg raises, barbell russian twists/standing barbell twists/whatever you want to call them, and db side bends or timed suitcase carries. Something along those lines

asilentj3w

Awards
Based on your stats your advice doesn't mean **** to me. Stay in your lane.
Dude. You really just messaged me about saying that derp was shots thrown? Grow up man. My advice was directed to the OP. Hence why I clearly stated OP before I gave my advice. You do know what OP means, right? I don't care if my stats determine if my advice means anything to you because I wasn't advising you my man.

OP (no not you peppers, don't get your panties in a bunch again) - how much your core will be activated during compound movements is also dependent on if you use a belt or not