Forearms

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Probably a newbie question but in regards to forearms training. Are they easy to overtrain? I feel like they would be similar to calves and neck muscles and be predominately slow twitch because they are used daily for repetitive tasks. So would they respond best to a high rep high volume work load? I'm mainly concerned with size as opposed to strength. I use fat gripz for all my body parts and then after my workouts I use a powerball which is like this gyro ball mechanism for 1 min each arm which gets the forearms all pumped up and then I do 5x5 with an ivanko super gripper. I do this 3-4 times a week. To much or just enough? Also if there's any unique articles about forearm training that anyone can post a link to that would be appreciated.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Blue-collar gentlemen work them hard 40-50hrs a week and those guys aren't overtrained. And a lot of those guys have nasty forearms and handshakes. Pound 'em as hard and often as you can so long as it doesn't affect your benching and you'll be good to go.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm mainly concerned with size as opposed to strength. I use fat gripz for all my body parts and then after my workouts I use a powerball which is like this gyro ball mechanism for 1 min each arm which gets the forearms all pumped up and then I do 5x5 with an ivanko super gripper. I do this 3-4 times a week. To much or just enough? Also if there's any unique articles about forearm training that anyone can post a link to that would be appreciated.
Holding bar work and squeezing the grip, exercises the forearms, but more "statically" or less concentric and eccentric from a wrist flexion/extension standpoint.
I think one of the better exercises "for shear size", is more like wrist curls and perhaps reverse wrist curls and to hit the top of the forearm nearer the elbow/brachailis, reverse curls with a curl bar.
I do think these muscles recover fairly quickly (1-2) days and my grip/forearm is back or stronger and is ready to go again.
And yeah, I always seem to do best with higher reps or strip/drop sets ie; #150x20, strip #20 do as many as poss, strip #20 do as many...

amarula

Awards
How does the fat gripz attach to dumbells and bars? Sideways?

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Fat grips are cylindrical with a slit running down the side. So you just pull em apart and put it over the bar.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 45
agnos Injury / Rehab 16
APC80 Training Forum 16
Training Forum 1
Krampus Training Forum 7