Do I need to deload?

  1. Do I need to deload?


    I can honestly say I have never deloaded before, heres why I think I need to now.

    About a month ago I hit a plethora of PRs (squat, bench, deadlift, and OHP) so I was making great strength gains. However, now I feel almost run down and I am not making any strength gains.

    For example, my squat max was 355x2, now when I squat 315 I can only get it for 2, i used to be able to get it for 6. I feel like I lost strength but I am still gaining size as my legs have been growing, and same with other parts of my body but my strength isnt there.

    We can rule out diet because I count my calories to the tee and i am currently eating 3700kCals with a maintenance of 2700/2800. I get 6-8 hours of sleep a night and I take 1-2 rest days a week, usually 2 .

    So my question is, should I try deloading even though I am making size gains but NOT strength gains? I wanted to start wendlers 5/3/1 because I am currently on a 5x5/3x5 progression right now.

    -Thanks.


  2. Look at it this way, one week of deload is not going to make/break your progress. I'd say go for it.

    I don't deload often but when i do, i usually plan it around a week where i cant put it 100% anyway. Like when life gets hectic.

  3. Quote Originally Posted by peter01 View Post
    Look at it this way, one week of deload is not going to make/break your progress. I'd say go for it.

    I don't deload often but when i do, i usually plan it around a week where i cant put it 100% anyway. Like when life gets hectic.
    i think ill give it a try before i hop into 5/3/1 , i cant tell if its jsut a weird funk im in or im burnt out from lifting heavy.
    •   
       


  4. I have been lifting for 17 years now and sometimes you need that break. Your gains will not just go away one week out of the gym.

  5. 5/3/1 has 13 weeks of deload baked into the program per year.

  6. Deload. Just scale down your major lifts, hit accessory movements the same. You will lose zero gains by deloading. You can come back stronger from one.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Deload. Just scale down your major lifts, hit accessory movements the same. You will lose zero gains by deloading. You can come back stronger from one.
    Thanks sean, ill just hop into wendler at the deload stage and then jump into cycle #1.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    Thanks sean, ill just hop into wendler at the deload stage and then jump into cycle #1.
    NP. Usually when you hit a plethora of PR's, a deload is in order. Enjoy it!
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post

    NP. Usually when you hit a plethora of PR's, a deload is in order. Enjoy it!
    I shall, I can't wait for 5/3/1 looking to hit a nice squat PR!

  10. 6 hours of sleep seem pretty short to me though, since I started training for strength I usualy sleep 9 hours.
    I would try to sleep more first.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by ThaGerGuy3000 View Post
    6 hours of sleep seem pretty short to me though, since I started training for strength I usualy sleep 9 hours.
    I would try to sleep more first.
    i actually caught up on my sleep recently and im feeling a lot better.

  12. Ya the more sleep the better.

  13. I think "deload" is a standard term now with lifting, but actually 20 years ago, no one used that term.(Do we thank WSB!?!?) We just layed off for a week back then (no actual lifting, I know heresy to some of you) if we were finishing a cycle/routine and hit a PR(s).
    I am not here to crap on them, (I use them myself, since I too am afraid of losing ground for just one day...!!!!!!!!! Oh boy..!) but I use them more instinctively than a planned deload, as I have had planned deloads on my cycle, but when I got into the the gym that day felt like really ripping it up and have hit PR's on what was supposed to be a 70% or pull back day. So YMMV!?!? Just adding my 2 pesos.

  14. Paul, your 2 cents is more like a hundred bucks
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    I can honestly say I have never deloaded before, heres why I think I need to now...So my question is, should I try deloading even though I am making size gains but NOT strength gains?...
    Entirely up to YOU. Scheduling in "deload" weeks can be good for recovery - although, even if you don't, your body might have a week where it is "blah" when one "should" be scheduled anyways. Or you can do a week off (as mentioned) every 12-16 weeks (or when your body reaches that point) - and I definitely recommend this. I have personally learnt to listen to my body and allowing that week off every once in a while, because otherwise it can lead to issues that are not so pleasant.

    ~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee

  16. You should definitely deload! Most people dont realize how important a deload is, but its what will help ensure you dont spend weeks spinning your wheels in an overtrained state. I also feel like people who deload more often have less problems with injuries. A lot of injuries happen when people are in a rut and trying to push too hard to make small gains in weight. Imo everyone who trains hard 4-5 days a week or more should deload at least once every 12 weeks.
    ​Athletic Xtreme Sponsored Athlete

  17. Dude, I'm in the same boat. I hit PR's in about 4 lifts recently too, and haven't deloaded in over 7 months. I suggest to really focus big on eating even more clean than normal, no junk foods!! I've taken time off and eaten like crap and it did nothing for me, but if I keep it SUPER lean n clean, and even toss in some of that cardio garbage, I feel like a beast when I go back!

  18. Quote Originally Posted by Wrivest View Post
    Dude, I'm in the same boat. I hit PR's in about 4 lifts recently too, and haven't deloaded in over 7 months. I suggest to really focus big on eating even more clean than normal, no junk foods!! I've taken time off and eaten like crap and it did nothing for me, but if I keep it SUPER lean n clean, and even toss in some of that cardio garbage, I feel like a beast when I go back!
    Yeah I cleaned up my diet a lot recently and added cardio. I feel better.

  19. Same here. I cut out my past bulking foods of white rice, white potatoes and assorted junk food (pizza, Chinese,) and have been eating nothing but oatmeal, grilled chicken, frozen bagged mixed veggies and yams, peanut butter and skim milk. No bread, pasta rice, eating out or fast/processed food. Recovery time has been much better and my energy levels stay high throughout the day. Every 8 weeks or so I will back off on the weights for a week and then resume medium to heavy lifts. The last 2 months have been great.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by pmdied View Post
    Same here. I cut out my past bulking foods of white rice, white potatoes and assorted junk food (pizza, Chinese,) and have been eating nothing but oatmeal, grilled chicken, frozen bagged mixed veggies and yams, peanut butter and skim milk. No bread, pasta rice, eating out or fast/processed food. Recovery time has been much better and my energy levels stay high throughout the day. Every 8 weeks or so I will back off on the weights for a week and then resume medium to heavy lifts. The last 2 months have been great.
    Every now and then I have to destroy a plate of pasta lol

  21. Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    Every now and then I have to destroy a plate of pasta lol
    pre cardio carbs = approved! Haha

  22. I have done a deload every 6 weeks for the last 5-6 years and haven't had an injury since and I've been able to train harder. For about 15 years before that I would have laughed at the idea, but it really makes a difference for me, both mentally and physically.

  23. Deload = long term muscle, joint, tendon and ligament health, plus greater strength through recovery. Why wouldn't you? If you are a beginner I don't see the need but after a few years of training/higher intermediate levels of strength it's a staple of any program IMO.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-31-2006, 11:10 AM
  2. Do I need to seal with a crimper?
    By enimity in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2005, 08:46 AM
  3. Do you need to cap NAC powder?
    By Vader in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-19-2005, 10:10 PM
  4. Do I need to do Legs (as often)
    By Giantz11 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2005, 07:38 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Log in
Log in