Do I need to deload?

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can honestly say I have never deloaded before, heres why I think I need to now.

About a month ago I hit a plethora of PRs (squat, bench, deadlift, and OHP) so I was making great strength gains. However, now I feel almost run down and I am not making any strength gains.

For example, my squat max was 355x2, now when I squat 315 I can only get it for 2, i used to be able to get it for 6. I feel like I lost strength but I am still gaining size as my legs have been growing, and same with other parts of my body but my strength isnt there.

We can rule out diet because I count my calories to the tee and i am currently eating 3700kCals with a maintenance of 2700/2800. I get 6-8 hours of sleep a night and I take 1-2 rest days a week, usually 2 .

So my question is, should I try deloading even though I am making size gains but NOT strength gains? I wanted to start wendlers 5/3/1 because I am currently on a 5x5/3x5 progression right now.

-Thanks.

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
Look at it this way, one week of deload is not going to make/break your progress. I'd say go for it.

I don't deload often but when i do, i usually plan it around a week where i cant put it 100% anyway. Like when life gets hectic.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Look at it this way, one week of deload is not going to make/break your progress. I'd say go for it.

I don't deload often but when i do, i usually plan it around a week where i cant put it 100% anyway. Like when life gets hectic.
i think ill give it a try before i hop into 5/3/1 , i cant tell if its jsut a weird funk im in or im burnt out from lifting heavy.

liftin4fun

Awards
  • Established
I have been lifting for 17 years now and sometimes you need that break. Your gains will not just go away one week out of the gym.

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
5/3/1 has 13 weeks of deload baked into the program per year.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Deload. Just scale down your major lifts, hit accessory movements the same. You will lose zero gains by deloading. You can come back stronger from one.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Deload. Just scale down your major lifts, hit accessory movements the same. You will lose zero gains by deloading. You can come back stronger from one.
Thanks sean, ill just hop into wendler at the deload stage and then jump into cycle #1.

ThaGerGuy3000

Awards
6 hours of sleep seem pretty short to me though, since I started training for strength I usualy sleep 9 hours.
I would try to sleep more first.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
6 hours of sleep seem pretty short to me though, since I started training for strength I usualy sleep 9 hours.
I would try to sleep more first.
i actually caught up on my sleep recently and im feeling a lot better.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think "deload" is a standard term now with lifting, but actually 20 years ago, no one used that term.(Do we thank WSB!?!?) We just layed off for a week back then (no actual lifting, I know heresy to some of you) if we were finishing a cycle/routine and hit a PR(s).
I am not here to crap on them, (I use them myself, since I too am afraid of losing ground for just one day...!!!!!!!!! Oh boy..!) but I use them more instinctively than a planned deload, as I have had planned deloads on my cycle, but when I got into the the gym that day felt like really ripping it up and have hit PR's on what was supposed to be a 70% or pull back day. So YMMV!?!? Just adding my 2 pesos.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can honestly say I have never deloaded before, heres why I think I need to now...So my question is, should I try deloading even though I am making size gains but NOT strength gains?...
Entirely up to YOU. Scheduling in "deload" weeks can be good for recovery - although, even if you don't, your body might have a week where it is "blah" when one "should" be scheduled anyways. Or you can do a week off (as mentioned) every 12-16 weeks (or when your body reaches that point) - and I definitely recommend this. I have personally learnt to listen to my body and allowing that week off every once in a while, because otherwise it can lead to issues that are not so pleasant.

~Rosie~

gymratluke

gymratluke

Board Sponsor
Awards
You should definitely deload! Most people dont realize how important a deload is, but its what will help ensure you dont spend weeks spinning your wheels in an overtrained state. I also feel like people who deload more often have less problems with injuries. A lot of injuries happen when people are in a rut and trying to push too hard to make small gains in weight. Imo everyone who trains hard 4-5 days a week or more should deload at least once every 12 weeks.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Dude, I'm in the same boat. I hit PR's in about 4 lifts recently too, and haven't deloaded in over 7 months. I suggest to really focus big on eating even more clean than normal, no junk foods!! I've taken time off and eaten like crap and it did nothing for me, but if I keep it SUPER lean n clean, and even toss in some of that cardio garbage, I feel like a beast when I go back!

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dude, I'm in the same boat. I hit PR's in about 4 lifts recently too, and haven't deloaded in over 7 months. I suggest to really focus big on eating even more clean than normal, no junk foods!! I've taken time off and eaten like crap and it did nothing for me, but if I keep it SUPER lean n clean, and even toss in some of that cardio garbage, I feel like a beast when I go back!
Yeah I cleaned up my diet a lot recently and added cardio. I feel better.

pmdied

Awards
Same here. I cut out my past bulking foods of white rice, white potatoes and assorted junk food (pizza, Chinese,) and have been eating nothing but oatmeal, grilled chicken, frozen bagged mixed veggies and yams, peanut butter and skim milk. No bread, pasta rice, eating out or fast/processed food. Recovery time has been much better and my energy levels stay high throughout the day. Every 8 weeks or so I will back off on the weights for a week and then resume medium to heavy lifts. The last 2 months have been great.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Same here. I cut out my past bulking foods of white rice, white potatoes and assorted junk food (pizza, Chinese,) and have been eating nothing but oatmeal, grilled chicken, frozen bagged mixed veggies and yams, peanut butter and skim milk. No bread, pasta rice, eating out or fast/processed food. Recovery time has been much better and my energy levels stay high throughout the day. Every 8 weeks or so I will back off on the weights for a week and then resume medium to heavy lifts. The last 2 months have been great.
Every now and then I have to destroy a plate of pasta lol

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have done a deload every 6 weeks for the last 5-6 years and haven't had an injury since and I've been able to train harder. For about 15 years before that I would have laughed at the idea, but it really makes a difference for me, both mentally and physically.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Deload = long term muscle, joint, tendon and ligament health, plus greater strength through recovery. Why wouldn't you? If you are a beginner I don't see the need but after a few years of training/higher intermediate levels of strength it's a staple of any program IMO.