Which training split would be better to follow?

SpicedCider

SpicedCider

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For the last few months, I've been going to the gym every single day working out a specific muscle group (e.g., chest on Monday, shoulders/triceps on Tuesday, back on Wednesday, biceps on Thursday, back to chest on Friday -- I don't do many leg exercises because I like to run, because when I used to work legs, I noticed that my running started to become sluggish and clunky). Besides not providing for any days off during the week, this routine has also become somewhat time consuming since every day is a "gym day" as well as a "running day."

The other day I came across a recently-published study that demonstrated equal effectiveness/results potential between a 3-day, full body split (the same exercises were done 3 days/week for 2 sets each with each set utilizing the same amount of weight) and a traditional "bodybuilding" split. The participants in the full body split group literally performed full body workouts (e.g., three different bench presses, several back exercises, shoulder and arm exercises) on each of their 3 training days. The only muscle group they didn't train was legs. As stated above, the same exercises were performed on each of the 3 training days for 2 sets each.

I'm seriously thinking about adopting the previously-discussed workout routine, but I'm wondering if a different 3-day split would be a better choice. The other routine I'm considering is one that still involves doing full body workouts 3 days/week, but instead of doing the same exact exercises on every training day, it would be set-up as follows (just an example): 3 sets each of incline BP, rows, triceps dips, barbell curls, and shoulder presses on Monday; 3 sets each of flat BP, pulldowns, triceps pushdowns, cable biceps curls, and Arnold presses on Wednesday; and so on. I would do this routine every other day and might or might not take off both days for the weekend.

Hopefully this post isn't an example of TL;DR. But for those of you with the patience to read through it, which training routine do you guys think would yield better results?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think not training legs because you run and it makes you slow is absolutely ridiculous. Have you seen the thighs on Olympic sprinters or cyclists? They're ****ing massive! Guess what? The both have speed and incredible endurance AND they all train their legs.

Having strong, healthy hips is desirable in any athlete and will further your gains in the gym. I'm not saying do nothing but squat, but just train some effective movements for your lower body. Emphasize on recovery and get some sprints, plyometrics, run if you want still ect

So...I would find a 3 day (meaning 3x a week) full body routine. The increased frequency would be beneficial, though you may not be able to apply as much volume as you would your "one muscle a day" routine. You could also consider and Upper/Lower/Upper/Lower routine.

Attachments

SpicedCider

SpicedCider

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, one of the splits I'm considering involves doing 2 sets each of the exact same exercises per workout for 3 workouts per week. The other split also involves 3 workouts per week (or 4, depending on if I take Sat/Sun off), but instead of the same exercises being performed during each workout, different exercises targeting the same muscle group are performed.

So for example, by following the first routine I would perform the exact same exercises for 2 sets each per workout. On the other hand, for the second routine, I would do 4 sets each of incline BP on Monday and flat BP on Wednesday (instead of doing 2 sets of both incline BP and flat BP on Monday as well as Wednesday, which is what the first routine would entail).

SpicedCider

SpicedCider

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think not training legs because you run and it makes you slow is absolutely ridiculous. Have you seen the thighs on Olympic sprinters or cyclists? They're ****ing massive! Guess what? The both have speed and incredible endurance AND they all train their legs.

Having strong, healthy hips is desirable in any athlete and will further your gains in the gym. I'm not saying do nothing but squat, but just train some effective movements for your lower body. Emphasize on recovery and get some sprints, plyometrics, run if you want still ect

So...I would find a 3 day (meaning 3x a week) full body routine. The increased frequency would be beneficial, though you may not be able to apply as much volume as you would your "one muscle a day" routine. You could also consider and Upper/Lower/Upper/Lower routine.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of split do you follow? Generally speaking, is there a "standard" 3 day split that has traditionally been followed by a high number of BB'ers?

napalm

napalm

Awards
I hate the word split, and not training legs 'because it makes you slow' leads me to believe any reading you have done regarding training is outdated at best.

Get on a proven program and stick with it.

And for gods sake squat...

SpicedCider

SpicedCider

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I hate the word split, and not training legs 'because it makes you slow' leads me to believe any reading you have done regarding training is outdated at best.

Get on a proven program and stick with it.

And for gods sake squat...
Okay, what are some proven programs that are similar to the 3-day routines I've described as examples?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Monday
Deadlift
Front Squat
Pull-ups
Shrugs
Bicep

Wednesday
Bench Press
Shoulder
Press Barbell row
Facepull
Tricep

Friday
Squat
Stiff legged deadlift
Lunges

That could be one example. Pick one exercise for each and hammer the crap out of for high volume.

I still prefer an Upper/Lower 4-day like I mentioned

Upper
Bench
DB Bench
horizontal pull
Tri/bi

Lower
Deads
Quad dominant movement
hamstring dominant movement

Upper
OHP
shoulder press variation
vertical pulling movement
Tri/bi

Lower
Squat
quad
ham

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You can also find plenty of splits for 4 day routines as well. Training everyday lends itself to inadequate recovery if you aren't getting plenty of rest, and if your nutritional needs aren't being met. How many sets and reps do you currently perform? How heavy are you going during your training?

Not working legs is a mistake as well. Since starting serious training my freshman year in college I've only gotten faster, and when I was at my strongest had a 32" vertical with approach. Not bad for a 6'1" white guy. I'm 35 now and can still out jump and run faster than guys in their 20's. You have to train legs, I don't care who you are.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Westside for Skinny Bastards v3
to add to that: 5/3/1 has a 3 day a week variant. or starting strength or one of many 5x5 programs like madcow or stronglifts or bill starrs program.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not meaning to jump on the band wagon, but it is a good strong wagon, these guys are pulling..
And lots of good standard proven routines out there to cut your teeth on and learn how your body responds to certain stimuli over cycles.

If you are a long distance runner, I still cannot see why compound bending exercises, (even once per week) would not help in overall fitness, lung capacity, strength, power, conditioning and systemic changes that would occur by loading or say, overloading the structure and or the spine. (I mean if you want to get bigger and stronger all over)

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Not meaning to jump on the band wagon, but it is a good strong wagon, these guys are pulling.. And lots of good standard proven routines out there to cut your teeth on and learn how your body responds to certain stimuli over cycles. If you are a long distance runner, I still cannot see why compound bending exercises, (even once per week) would not help in overall fitness, lung capacity, strength, power, conditioning and systemic changes that would occur by loading or say, overloading the structure and or the spine. (I mean if you want to get bigger and stronger all over)
As a distance runner and coach-I can attest tot he value of strength training in improving running economy. I've had great success (personally and with my athletes) with a 4day upper/lower split in the off-season and a 3-day total body split (spreading the big three lifts across the days) in-season.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I forget who said it, but even a marathon runner has to sprint at the end.

SpicedCider

SpicedCider

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So would it be too much to do incline BP and flat BP on Monday, and then decline BP and a cable BP/flies on Wednesday? Or is it an okay idea since the exercises work different parts of the chest?

busaboy79

Awards
Not every program works for every person. That's one of the reason these bodybuilding magazines can continue to come out with issues every month. "Some new bicep routine to get u massive arms!!" It may work for certain people, but again everyone is different.

I'm not a big runner, or a fan of running in particular, but leg training is a must for any athlete.

I train legs twice a week, but my goals sound very different. Lol. My training split works for me, and kills a lot of people I train with. Lol

Sun- Quad/hams & Bis
Mon- Chest & Tris
Tues- Rest
Wed- Quad/ hams & calves
Thu- Back & Bis
Fri- Rest
Sat- Shoulders & Traps

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So would it be too much to do incline BP and flat BP on Monday, and then decline BP and a cable BP/flies on Wednesday? Or is it an okay idea since the exercises work different parts of the chest?
Well what does the rest of it look like? Are you hitting shoulders then too?
Are you just training chest on those 2 days and then what about Friday's work?

SpicedCider

SpicedCider

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well what does the rest of it look like? Are you hitting shoulders then too?
Are you just training chest on those 2 days and then what about Friday's work?
What I'm considering is something like this:

Monday: 4 sets of Incline BP, 4 sets of Flat BP, 4 sets of pulldowns, 4 sets of a type of rows, 4 sets of one triceps exercise, 4 sets of one biceps exercise, 4 sets of one shoulder exercise, 2 sets of cable flies.

Wednesday: 4 sets of decline BP, 4 sets of cable BP, 4 sets of close-grip cable rows, 4 sets of some other type of rows, 4 sets of one triceps exercise, 4 sets of one biceps exercise, 4 sets of one shoulder exercise, 2 sets of cable flies.

On Friday, I would repeat Monday's workout, and on Sunday, I would repeat Wednesday's, and so on. Does it sound like too much to cram into one workout session?