Light training with Mononuclosis....how much is too much

Buffspartan

Buffspartan

Awards
  • Established
So I was diagnosed with mono about 2.5 weeks ago. I had symptoms for about a week, then after the 8th day, I felt completely fine! My doctor ordered me not to do any physical activity or drink alcohol for 30 days because of the risk of an enlarged spleen and liver. Now me, stubborn as I am, could not sit still for that long. For the last week and a half I have been doing 100-180 pushups every day and about a half hour on the treadmill at moderate walking speed with a small incline. Am I pushing myself too hard? Tonight I also did a few sets of pull ups and chin ups. I mean, obviously I'm not going to do any heavy training with weights, but will a few sets of body weight exercises and a couple miles of moderate walking pose any serious risk? I went go karting last weekend and was fine. I've been going to work and going out with my friends and not had too much of a problem. My energy isn't the best, but that's what preworkout and Focus XT are for lol! I appreciate the feedback

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So I was diagnosed with mono about 2.5 weeks ago. I had symptoms for about a week, then after the 8th day, I felt completely fine! My doctor ordered me not to do any physical activity or drink alcohol for 30 days because of the risk of an enlarged spleen and liver. Now me, stubborn as I am, could not sit still for that long. For the last week and a half I have been doing 100-180 pushups every day and about a half hour on the treadmill at moderate walking speed with a small incline. Am I pushing myself too hard? Tonight I also did a few sets of pull ups and chin ups. I mean, obviously I'm not going to do any heavy training with weights, but will a few sets of body weight exercises and a couple miles of moderate walking pose any serious risk? I went go karting last weekend and was fine. I've been going to work and going out with my friends and not had too much of a problem. My energy isn't the best, but that's what preworkout and Focus XT are for lol! I appreciate the feedback

I've highlighted and underlined the important part.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why would you think strangers on internet message board know better than your personal doctor?. Not trying to be a dick, just being honest with you...straight shooting. You already ignored your doctor, now it just seems like you're fishing for validation.

Buffspartan

Buffspartan

Awards
  • Established
I'm wondering if anyone here has had mono, and how have you guys dealt with it. Like have you guys trained at all during it and are pushups and pull ups really something to be concerned about? If you guys were out of the gym for a while, how long did you wait before you went back. That's just a protocol docs use for all patients no matter who they are. I just want some input from others who have gone through the same thing I'm going through now

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
I've had mono before, my Dr said basically the same thing yours did, so I took it easy and stayed out the gym for a month got caught up on some video games, got better and started training again. So my advice would be listen to your Dr

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
If ZiR was still around he would be the best person to answer these questions.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If ZiR was still around he would be the best person to answer these questions.

No offense to Zir, but the only person qualified to give medical advice to the OP is his personal doctor. He knows his medical history, etc. It shouldn't even be a question. Op should listen to his doctor.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The advice given from T-Bone is dead on, Ive seen athletes sneak in a workout on 2 occasions and both were rushed to the ER! Its not worth the risk and that BILL will be yours to shoulder alone if you dont follow the prescribed plan from your Doc. Bottom line it isnt worth your health IMO, but the choice is yours.

Buffspartan

Buffspartan

Awards
  • Established
So my doc said no drinking till October 8th cuz I have mono-induced hepatitis and only light to moderate training till then, I.e. pushups, pullups, light to moderate weights that don't use the midsection, so no abs, legs, or certain back movements.