Tips for Deadlifting?

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
1) I have never deadlifted in my life. Ever.
2) I want to learn how to deadlift.
3) I don't want to look like an idiot my first few sets, but I'll take that chance.
4) what's a good starting weight?

Thanks y'all.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Buy flat-soled shoes, grip the **** out of the bar, keep your shoulders in line with the bar, keep a neutral head, imagine driving your heels into the group, and squeeze your ass at the top like it's your first night in prison.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
the bar. basically, whatever weight allows for good form. at least start out with keeping your back neutral. think of your spine like this, if you hit someone with a wet noodle or a baseball bat, which one would hurt more? the bat, cause its stiff.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Buy flat-soled shoes, grip the **** out of the bar, keep your shoulders in line with the bar, keep a neutral head, imagine driving your heels into the group, and squeeze your ass at the top like it's your first night in prison.
All but one pair of my shoes are flat soled, so that's good to go.

So, in theory, I'm just picking the bar up off the ground? Whilst clamping my sphincter.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
the bar. basically, whatever weight allows for good form. at least start out with keeping your back neutral. think of your spine like this, if you hit someone with a wet noodle or a baseball bat, which one would hurt more? the bat, cause its stiff.
So, what does the form need to be? Just start knees kind of bent, back stiff, and head forward, then grip the bar and lift up while extending my legs?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All but one pair of my shoes are flat soled, so that's good to go.

So, in theory, I'm just picking the bar up off the ground? Whilst clamping my sphincter.
With the conventional deadlift, more or less. However, you need to have full-body tightness and do not yank the bar. Pull the slack out and then begin the lift.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
With the conventional deadlift, more or less. However, you need to have full-body tightness and do not yank the bar. Pull the slack out and then begin the lift.
I'll try to do that, I focus on form more than weight in all my lifts, so I can try my best. I'm going to see if I can get on of the guys that works at my gym (former powerlifter) to help me out. He doesn't do anything anyway, haha. Wish I had someone to coach me though, I'm really trying to make some gains now. And not just eff around.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Posted in another thread...

Mark Rippetoe: Deadlift Set-Up - YouTube

Mark Rippetoe: Deadlift Back Angles - YouTube

This is not bad by Cressey, but as you get more tuned and more experienced, I think having your hips this low is not always the most powerful position.
At least not for me...

A Quick Fix for Ugly Deadlifts - YouTube

A good starting weight, is what you can do with the form posted for easy reps & sets until you make it a habit.
Using #45 plates maybe #135 pounds. Gives you the standard 9" to bar center off the ground.
I'd perhaps start there.

pmdied

Awards
Posted in another thread...

Mark Rippetoe: Deadlift Set-Up - YouTube

Mark Rippetoe: Deadlift Back Angles - YouTube

This is not bad by Cressey, but as you get more tuned and more experienced, I think having your hips this low is not always the most powerful position.
At least not for me...

A Quick Fix for Ugly Deadlifts - YouTube

A good starting weight, is what you can do with the form posted for easy reps & sets until you make it a habit.
Using #45 plates maybe #135 pounds. Gives you the standard 9" to bar center off the ground.
I'd perhaps start there.
This is good stuff. Took me a long time to really "master" the dead lift. I typically do a double overhand outside grip. Some prefer an over/under grip. Some bring their grip inside their stance or outside their stance. Figure out which works for you by experimenting but remember to leave the ego at the door and start off light.