Leg workout to battle back pain

gibbons2

Awards
I'm looking for a good leg workout that doesn't put too much stress on your lower back bc I've had problems with it for years. I can squat just not as heavy as I'd like to. maybe body weight workouts? anything is appreciated. Thanks

texastea

Awards
I've found that working legs unilaterally puts very little stress on my lower back, so I do a lot of lunges particularly reverse lunges. You can use dumbbells for added resistance if desired.

Sent from my iPhone, slacking at work, using Tapatalk

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
I'll second unilateral leg work. It can provide a strong stimulus while often times using 1/2 the weight. Rear foot elevated squats (DB or BB and even BB front squats), lunges, etc

iForce Dave

iForce Dave

Awards
  • Established
AVOID LEG PRESSES

they can be very stressful on the lower back. if you do them, do them at the end, dont go too heavy, and really really be careful with where you put your feet and how far you come back

people often start doing heavy leg presses for when their back is injured and that rounding at the bottom of the ROM is VERY dangerous!

Guido1983

Guido1983

Banned
Awards
I have low back problems and find legs difficult to do sometimes because of it. Ill third single leg movements. I do single leg presses but light and concentrated I don't let press more then 4 plates ever.

Also front squats works well. I find I don't have a lot of stress on my low back compared to normal squats. Hack squats as well

wicked442

wicked442

Board Sponsor
Awards
I third the single leg lifts. Have same prob with back. Wall sits to pre exhaust the quads, pistol squats, and lunges for sure. By then even med weight dumbells give a great pump. Slow and controlled.

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
when u guys do lunges do you use barbell behind neck or db at side? also stationary or walking?

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
when u guys do lunges do you use barbell behind neck or db at side? also stationary or walking?
Db to bb is really just a preference for the most part to me. There isn't a lot of space at my gym so db lunges are easier. I prefer walking lunges, to me it puts less stress on the joints.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
when u guys do lunges do you use barbell behind neck or db at side also stationary or walking?
For the purpose of this thread? Whichever doesn't aggravate your low back. That's the whole point of these alternatives

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like the suggestion of employing unilateral work to address leg hypertrophy while trying to combat lower back pain. Bear in mind though that you should still be trying to strengthen your lower back in another way if not through squatting and deadlifting properly (improper form of course can lead to excess stress in the lower back and consequently pain down the road). And front squats are great because you can't lean too much with those anyways, or else you lose balance and dump the bar.