First shot at 5/3/1 - any advice?

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post

You started too low, but that's fine. Remember, that's 95% of 90%. I've ran a total of 14 cycles with a reset after 10 months. It'll get hard...
    Oh I was shooting for the low end since this is my first 5/3/1 cycle and I know it'll get hard but that's the point. If it were easy everyone would do it

2. I always shoot lower. I routinely get 10+ on the 95% week, but I'm interested in a lot of TUT so it works well for me.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post

Then you failed to follow his advice. He suggests taking 90% of your projected 1RM (or even true 1RM).

It isn't bizarre at all.
    Yeah duh...a 2 year old could follow 5/3/1 it's so simple. I took 90% of my 1 RM and worked with that. I've been training naturally for 15 years, I know how to follow programs. It just didn't work for my mesomorph genetics

4. Quote Originally Posted by gymguy21 View Post

Currently on my third week and just killed 10 reps @ 95%
    Good for you!

5. Quote Originally Posted by rockme View Post
    Yeah duh...a 2 year old could follow 5/3/1 it's so simple. I took 90% of my 1 RM and worked with that. I've been training naturally for 15 years, I know how to follow programs. It just didn't work for my mesomorph genetics
    I would guess too, that when people are finished with a cycle or routine and had some good gains , they jump right into another one, expecting to get another bump, but it does not always work that way, depending on how hard the last cycle they ran was and how much time in between.

I have never really had a routine (as many as I have done), totally flop or not really show me something. It's just that a few of them were started at wrong times or with more than I should have programmed in to get some momentum going to begin with. I seem to be greedy that way and it does not always pay off. Even Wendler says to be modest on setting up the maxes and kick it back a few more than you really think it should be.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by rockme
    It just didn't work for my mesomorph genetics
    This makes no sense whatsoever...

7. Advice for 5/3/1. Run it just like wendler says, be patient and you will have some of your best workouts. I started it 8 weeks ago with 365 training max for deads. Yesterday I pulled 365, 6 times and I just didn't count number 7 because my form broke down.

8. Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    This makes no sense whatsoever...
    I'm not going to define mesomorph for you. But I'm trying to point out that I can handle much more volume and intensity than 5/3/1. IMO, 5/3/1 may be better suited for an ecto or someone who overtrains easily. I mean come on, a deload every 4th week? Some of you dudes crack me up, I say 5/3/1 didn't work for ME, and you rush to defend it like you are the creator of it

9. Quote Originally Posted by rockme

I'm not going to define mesomorph for you. But I'm trying to point out that I can handle much more volume and intensity than 5/3/1. IMO, 5/3/1 may be better suited for an ecto or someone who overtrains easily. I mean come on, a deload every 4th week? Some of you dudes crack me up, I say 5/3/1 didn't work for ME, and you rush to defend it like you are the creator of it
    Mesomorph: large bone structure, large muscles and a naturally athletic physique.

Your profile says you are 5' 8" 175.

Gain about 50 lbs before calling yourself a mesomorph.

Nobody here created it, we just have a f.ck load more experience with it than you, and are telling you that you didn't do the program correctly.

How can you possibly say you did it correctly quitting before you even finished one cycle?

10. Quote Originally Posted by rockme View Post

Good for you!
    Thanks man and I know it'll get more challenging but I love the hard work and the satisfaction it gives.

11. Quote Originally Posted by rockme View Post
    I'm not going to define mesomorph for you. But I'm trying to point out that I can handle much more volume and intensity than 5/3/1. IMO, 5/3/1 may be better suited for an ecto or someone who overtrains easily.
    did you know that the accessory is 100% customizable. if you needed more volume than do more volume in your accessory work. BBB has you doing 5x10 on 2 lifts after the main lift and strong people can do 5-8 sets just to warm up on the main lift. i know when i did it on squat day i would be doing over 20 sets of squats. how is that not enough volume?

did you even read the book?
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  12. First shot at 5/3/1 - any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    Mesomorph: large bone structure, large muscles and a naturally athletic physique.

Nobody here created it, we just have a f.ck load more experience with it than you, and are telling you that you didn't do the program correctly.

How can you possibly say you did it correctly quitting before you even finished one cycle?
    One of the best posts on AM in a while.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.

13. Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post

Jesus christ, son. Gain 50 lbs? Take a look at my height again. So you are suggesting I either become a fat fock, or start poking myself with AAS. Neither are an option. I've been as heavy as 205 and was huge but smooth. I was lean over the summer at 165, and am now sitting at 185. Ectomorphs are naturally skinny and notorious for having spindly legs, endomorphs are prone to fat gain and bigger waists. You can obviously see my legs in my avi, and I'm certainly not prone to fat gain. So what would you classify me as?

my profile/pic was taken at 175...I just don't care to update

Look... I own both of the 5/3/1 books. I purchased them a few months back because I really wanted to try it. All of the logs on AM were very convincing. A dude who goes by sean had a log going of 5/3/1 that kicked ass. But it just didn't cut it for someone like me. So to the OP, give it a shot and see what you think, but if hypertrophy and heavy lifting is your thing, it may not be the best. Just whatever you do, don't follow Wendler's advice of eating doughnuts. I swear it's in the book

14. Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    did you know that the accessory is 100% customizable. if you needed more volume than do more volume in your accessory work. BBB has you doing 5x10 on 2 lifts after the main lift and strong people can do 5-8 sets just to warm up on the main lift. i know when i did it on squat day i would be doing over 20 sets of squats. how is that not enough volume?

did you even read the book?
    uhhhh...you guys are sapping my energy. I own both books. If you are doing it right, you shouldn't be doing more than 11 sets of any of the big 4, not 20. You obviously didn't read the book.

15. Quote Originally Posted by rockme View Post
    So what would you classify me as?
    at 185, skinny...
  16. First shot at 5/3/1 - any advice?

How do you evaluate the efficacy of ANY training-related protocol in less than 4 weeks? Pure nonsense.

17. Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    How do you evaluate the efficacy of ANY training-related protocol in less than 4 weeks? Pure nonsense.
    Definitely not enough time to see if the program worked or not. Either didn't know their max or didn't calculate correctly. That's what it seems like to me. But I may be wrong

18. Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    at 185, skinny...
    What do you look like at 204 at 5'7"? Just curious since you think my structure is skinny. Any pics to back up your high talking?

19. Quote Originally Posted by rockme View Post
    What do you look like at 204 at 5'7"? Just curious since you think my structure is skinny. Any pics to back up your high talking?
    what is this, 3rd grade?
    Quote Originally Posted by rockme View Post
    But I'm trying to point out that I can handle much more volume and intensity than 5/3/1. IMO, 5/3/1 may be better suited for an ecto or someone who overtrains easily. I mean come on, a deload every 4th week?
    ^^this, is high talking...

20. Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    I wasn't getting stronger and was losing size despite being in a caloric surplus/mass phase. That's how. With my current program, which I got from a Ukrainian powerlifter buddy of mine, I can see gains in hypertrophy and strength, and I'm only in my 3rd week. I've ran the program before, but got caught up in trendy programs like 5/3/1 and PHAT (which I liked and ran for like 6 mos.) I'm returning to what works (for me)

If you read my previous posts, I never said 5/3/1 does not work, I said it does not work for me. I also alluded to the many success stories on it

21. Quote Originally Posted by gymguy21 View Post
    Definitely not enough time to see if the program worked or not. Either didn't know their max or didn't calculate correctly. That's what it seems like to me. But I may be wrong
    You are wrong bro. I'm very detailed and organized when it comes to my training/nutrition. I ran 5/3/1 accordingly for 4 weeks. BTW, that formula he gives for theorizing your 1RM gives you a very liberal number

22. Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    what is this, 3rd grade?

^^this, is high talking...
    If you need a deload every 4th week, your nutrition/recovery components are sorely lacking. Furthermore, if you did this, you would spend 3 months out of the year deloading!
  23. First shot at 5/3/1 - any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by rockme View Post
    If you need a deload every 4th week, your nutrition/recovery components are sorely lacking. Furthermore, if you did this, you would spend 3 months out of the year deloading!
    While I don't necessarily disagree, I think the point of the deload is to stay ahead of the possible overtraining issue.

Instead of burning out, you stay "fresh", allowing (theoretically) more consistent heavy training.
  24. Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

25. Quote Originally Posted by rockme

That's complete nonsense. At a month from 49, 30+ years in the gym, 5 shoulder surgeries, 5 knee surgeries, 2 wrist surgeries and pins in two of my fingers, 5 yrs of racing mountain bikes semi professionally and competing in powerlifting for a few years now, I look forward to the deload weeks.

26. Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    That's complete nonsense. At a month from 49, 30+ years in the gym, 5 shoulder surgeries, 5 knee surgeries, 2 wrist surgeries and pins in two of my fingers, 5 yrs of racing mountain bikes semi professionally and competing in powerlifting for a few years now, I look forward to the deload weeks.
    Hahaha, I am ready for a deload just reading that post guy...!

27. Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post

Did you fall off a mountain or something?
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]

28. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332

Did you fall off a mountain or something?
    More than once, and I left out the concussions and skull fractures

When man meets tree, tree wins most of the time...

29. Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post

More than once, and I left out the concussions and skull fractures

When man meets tree, tree wins most of the time...
    Well I hope you phucked that tree up real good. Damn.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]

30. Quote Originally Posted by rockme View Post
    Curious as to what kind of numbers you're pushing around to make claims like this. I'm pretty damn sure I lift a hell of a lot more than you and I deload every 3-4 weeks.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. First time here Any Advice?
    By mokil in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-02-2006, 03:26 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 04:51 PM
  3. My diet plan...first time so any advice is welcomed.
    By tommy36p in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 04:42 AM
  4. First cycle, any advice?
    By max0d in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 04:11 PM
  5. First cycle.....any advice?
    By BBC in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-06-2003, 09:51 AM