Shoulders Rolled Forward Imbalance - AnabolicMinds.com

Shoulders Rolled Forward Imbalance

1. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Shoulders Rolled Forward Imbalance

I've always stood with my shoulders rolled forward. Poor posture I know. When i concentrate i can roll them back to proper posture. I want to fix this issue. Any suggestions in lifts to add to my routines that will help to correct?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kenpoengineer
    I've always stood with my shoulders rolled forward. Poor posture I know. When i concentrate i can roll them back to proper posture. I want to fix this issue. Any suggestions in lifts to add to my routines that will help to correct?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.
    Face pulls, rotator cuff work

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Answers

First and foremost, every time you become or are conscious of your posture, correct it by pulling your shoulders back a bit and making them more erect. Not to a point of over doing it, but just head up, chest out, some low back arch and your shoulders will go where they should really. Think of your body/skeleton as a complete unit, and if you straighten one area, it all follows suit.
    Something else, is to walk around, like you own a huge sports car dealership or whatever. You get my drift. Now I don't mean to walk around looking like an over pompous jerk or ass. Just walk around like you own a little piece of greatness and be proud of who you are and what you are doing here. Slumping can be a body image or security thing.
    As far as exercises, any drawing back work as the last poster mentioned and or upper back work, from band pull aparts to OHP's, pullups high pulls etc. etc.
    Eventually, the longer muscles in the back will strengthen and tighten up and the tight shorter front chest and shoulders will relax and loosen up.
    Once those things gets ingrained and are made habits, you won't look back.

•   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Shared this on another thread earlier

http://www.ericcressey.com/strategie...posture-part-4

5. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    Shared this on another thread earlier

http://www.ericcressey.com/strategie...posture-part-4
    Saw that thread NY that's what started my ask for help. Thanks. This helps.

6. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Answers

Re: Shoulders Rolled Forward Imbalance

More rear delt exercises less front delt. Lay on a foam roller between your shoulder blades with your arms out palms up for 10min everyday. Stand against a wall with shoulders back and tuck your chin for 5 seconds, untuck chin repeat for 10mins. And keep conscious about keeping shoulders back during the day. They also make supports that pin your shoulders back but some Dr' s attribute those to Muscle degeneration tho.

​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."

7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    More rear delt exercises less front delt. Lay on a foam roller between your shoulder blades with your arms out palms up for 10min everyday. Stand against a wall with shoulders back and tuck your chin for 5 seconds, untuck chin repeat for 10mins. And keep conscious about keeping shoulders back during the day. They also make supports that pin your shoulders back but some Dr' s attribute those to Muscle degeneration tho.
    Good advice. My Therapist had me doing these along with other exercises to strengthen rear delt , upper back and scapula region after my shoulder and scapula surgeries. Be consistent with them though. I practiced mine 3-4 days a week for a year and it helped immensely.

8. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Great advice guys, especially the foam roller and face pull ideas. Will buy those this week and start walking around with shoulders back in a swagger! Lol

9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

10. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Sorry but working the back to "correct" posture is a terrible idea.

I posted this to another thread a week ago but often times inverted shoulders are caused by the pec minor being 'burnt out' from always being tucked in. This is frequent in today's society because of computers, video games, texting, etc. that causes slouched posture for prolonged periods. Anywho this pull causes stress to shift to the rotator cuff and in turn your rhomboids over fire in an attempt to pull everything back.

So more times than not someone with internally rotated shoulders has their rhomboids all torn to **** from years of abuse. So no I would NOT recommend training your back more in an attempt to put more stress on it. What u need to do is trigger release and foam roll your chest.

Look up pec minor and then put your finger around where it is and search for hard dense "knots" five bucks says you'll find one and if u push in it hurts. Take a tennis or lacrosse ball put it on the knot and lean into it on a wall tand relax your body. This will hurt but it will release the fascia and dense tissue accumulating on your pec minor and allow the stress to be lifted and your posture to be corrected slowly but surely.
    Please don't make it worse with more lifting it will only cause the fascia to constrict to the point it could potentially cut off blood flow and cause scar tissue. (Which will never stretch out)

11. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Answers

And I know this because I work with many elderly people who all have this problem and have fixed many people's posture this way so I know what I'm talking about.

Here's another stress test. Put your spine flush with the walls and arms up so they are horizontal against the wall with a 90 degree bend in your arms. Then keep your hands completely straight and in line with your forearm and rotate back. If you can't put your wrists against the wall or feel a pull in your chest it's tight

12. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by crispycrown View Post
    Sorry but working the back to "correct" posture is a terrible idea.

I posted this to another thread a week ago but often times inverted shoulders are caused by the pec minor being 'burnt out' from always being tucked in. This is frequent in today's society because of computers, video games, texting, etc. that causes slouched posture for prolonged periods. Anywho this pull causes stress to shift to the rotator cuff and in turn your rhomboids over fire in an attempt to pull everything back.

So more times than not someone with internally rotated shoulders has their rhomboids all torn to **** from years of abuse. So no I would NOT recommend training your back more in an attempt to put more stress on it. What u need to do is trigger release and foam roll your chest.

Look up pec minor and then put your finger around where it is and search for hard dense "knots" five bucks says you'll find one and if u push in it hurts. Take a tennis or lacrosse ball put it on the knot and lean into it on a wall tand relax your body. This will hurt but it will release the fascia and dense tissue accumulating on your pec minor and allow the stress to be lifted and your posture to be corrected slowly but surely.
    Please don't make it worse with more lifting it will only cause the fascia to constrict to the point it could potentially cut off blood flow and cause scar tissue. (Which will never stretch out)
    Quote Originally Posted by crispycrown View Post
    And I know this because I work with many elderly people who all have this problem and have fixed many people's posture this way so I know what I'm talking about.

Here's another stress test. Put your spine flush with the walls and arms up so they are horizontal against the wall with a 90 degree bend in your arms. Then keep your hands completely straight and in line with your forearm and rotate back. If you can't put your wrists against the wall or feel a pull in your chest it's tight
    Good info here. Never heard of this.

13. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Good info here. Never heard of this.
    Yeah it's pretty new to the fitness world. Look up trigger release and myocardial release. It's amazing **** and can easily fix any problems or bust plateaus. I do it as much as possible

14. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Answers

I started foam rolling chest/lats/shoulders/back/biceps about a month ago and its made a world of difference.

15. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Answers

I started foam rolling chest/lats/shoulders/back/biceps about a month ago and its made a world of difference.
    Yeah foam rolling is great but se studies suggest that it often times isn't hard enough to actually release the fascia. Which is why trigger release is often necessary.

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. shoulder forward roll?
    By hugry4more in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-18-2012, 09:05 PM
  2. Shoulder Imbalance
    By BigRigg in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-01-2011, 08:13 AM
  3. rolling shoulders when shrugging
    By lunchbox in forum Exercise Science