Shoulders Rolled Forward Imbalance

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've always stood with my shoulders rolled forward. Poor posture I know. When i concentrate i can roll them back to proper posture. I want to fix this issue. Any suggestions in lifts to add to my routines that will help to correct?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I've always stood with my shoulders rolled forward. Poor posture I know. When i concentrate i can roll them back to proper posture. I want to fix this issue. Any suggestions in lifts to add to my routines that will help to correct?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.
Face pulls, rotator cuff work

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First and foremost, every time you become or are conscious of your posture, correct it by pulling your shoulders back a bit and making them more erect. Not to a point of over doing it, but just head up, chest out, some low back arch and your shoulders will go where they should really. Think of your body/skeleton as a complete unit, and if you straighten one area, it all follows suit.
Something else, is to walk around, like you own a huge sports car dealership or whatever. You get my drift. Now I don't mean to walk around looking like an over pompous jerk or ass. Just walk around like you own a little piece of greatness and be proud of who you are and what you are doing here. Slumping can be a body image or security thing.
As far as exercises, any drawing back work as the last poster mentioned and or upper back work, from band pull aparts to OHP's, pullups high pulls etc. etc.
Eventually, the longer muscles in the back will strengthen and tighten up and the tight shorter front chest and shoulders will relax and loosen up.
Once those things gets ingrained and are made habits, you won't look back.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
More rear delt exercises less front delt. Lay on a foam roller between your shoulder blades with your arms out palms up for 10min everyday. Stand against a wall with shoulders back and tuck your chin for 5 seconds, untuck chin repeat for 10mins. And keep conscious about keeping shoulders back during the day. They also make supports that pin your shoulders back but some Dr' s attribute those to Muscle degeneration tho.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
More rear delt exercises less front delt. Lay on a foam roller between your shoulder blades with your arms out palms up for 10min everyday. Stand against a wall with shoulders back and tuck your chin for 5 seconds, untuck chin repeat for 10mins. And keep conscious about keeping shoulders back during the day. They also make supports that pin your shoulders back but some Dr' s attribute those to Muscle degeneration tho.
Good advice. My Therapist had me doing these along with other exercises to strengthen rear delt , upper back and scapula region after my shoulder and scapula surgeries. Be consistent with them though. I practiced mine 3-4 days a week for a year and it helped immensely.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great advice guys, especially the foam roller and face pull ideas. Will buy those this week and start walking around with shoulders back in a swagger! Lol

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Sorry but working the back to "correct" posture is a terrible idea.

I posted this to another thread a week ago but often times inverted shoulders are caused by the pec minor being 'burnt out' from always being tucked in. This is frequent in today's society because of computers, video games, texting, etc. that causes slouched posture for prolonged periods. Anywho this pull causes stress to shift to the rotator cuff and in turn your rhomboids over fire in an attempt to pull everything back.

So more times than not someone with internally rotated shoulders has their rhomboids all torn to **** from years of abuse. So no I would NOT recommend training your back more in an attempt to put more stress on it. What u need to do is trigger release and foam roll your chest.

Look up pec minor and then put your finger around where it is and search for hard dense "knots" five bucks says you'll find one and if u push in it hurts. Take a tennis or lacrosse ball put it on the knot and lean into it on a wall tand relax your body. This will hurt but it will release the fascia and dense tissue accumulating on your pec minor and allow the stress to be lifted and your posture to be corrected slowly but surely.
Please don't make it worse with more lifting it will only cause the fascia to constrict to the point it could potentially cut off blood flow and cause scar tissue. (Which will never stretch out)

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
And I know this because I work with many elderly people who all have this problem and have fixed many people's posture this way so I know what I'm talking about.

Here's another stress test. Put your spine flush with the walls and arms up so they are horizontal against the wall with a 90 degree bend in your arms. Then keep your hands completely straight and in line with your forearm and rotate back. If you can't put your wrists against the wall or feel a pull in your chest it's tight

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry but working the back to "correct" posture is a terrible idea.

I posted this to another thread a week ago but often times inverted shoulders are caused by the pec minor being 'burnt out' from always being tucked in. This is frequent in today's society because of computers, video games, texting, etc. that causes slouched posture for prolonged periods. Anywho this pull causes stress to shift to the rotator cuff and in turn your rhomboids over fire in an attempt to pull everything back.

So more times than not someone with internally rotated shoulders has their rhomboids all torn to **** from years of abuse. So no I would NOT recommend training your back more in an attempt to put more stress on it. What u need to do is trigger release and foam roll your chest.

Look up pec minor and then put your finger around where it is and search for hard dense "knots" five bucks says you'll find one and if u push in it hurts. Take a tennis or lacrosse ball put it on the knot and lean into it on a wall tand relax your body. This will hurt but it will release the fascia and dense tissue accumulating on your pec minor and allow the stress to be lifted and your posture to be corrected slowly but surely.
Please don't make it worse with more lifting it will only cause the fascia to constrict to the point it could potentially cut off blood flow and cause scar tissue. (Which will never stretch out)
And I know this because I work with many elderly people who all have this problem and have fixed many people's posture this way so I know what I'm talking about.

Here's another stress test. Put your spine flush with the walls and arms up so they are horizontal against the wall with a 90 degree bend in your arms. Then keep your hands completely straight and in line with your forearm and rotate back. If you can't put your wrists against the wall or feel a pull in your chest it's tight
Good info here. Never heard of this.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Good info here. Never heard of this.
Yeah it's pretty new to the fitness world. Look up trigger release and myocardial release. It's amazing **** and can easily fix any problems or bust plateaus. I do it as much as possible

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I started foam rolling chest/lats/shoulders/back/biceps about a month ago and its made a world of difference.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
I started foam rolling chest/lats/shoulders/back/biceps about a month ago and its made a world of difference.
Yeah foam rolling is great but se studies suggest that it often times isn't hard enough to actually release the fascia. Which is why trigger release is often necessary.