3 day split training/Advice/tips please

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
How's it going fellas

So I just want some advice and tips on how I can improve my training split, I'm currently using the 10-8-6-15 (50%,75%,100%,30%) Vince Gironda technique, I take 5 deep breaths per set and I have a part A (super sets) and part B (tri sets), it's a 3 day split and I add to full body power days by using another one of Vince Gironda's technique 10-8-6-4 (35%,50%,75%,100%), I'm a big believer in volume training, but I welcome anything, I'm here to learn, for now I'm only going to put up the chest and power routine since I don't have my notebook at this moment
Here's part A for chest-Monday

Dumbell Flys/Wide bench press
Incline dumbell press/Alt dumbell press
Drag curls/hammer curls
(wide)Decline bench press/ weighted dips
(usually finish in 45-60 min)

Power Day-Tuesday
Front sqats
Bench Press
Millitary Barbell Press
Weighted pullups
Straight bar curl
Skull Crusher
(usually finish in 35-40 min)

I will post other routines later on, any advice welcome

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
im a huge supporter of the stronglifts community so any time i see someone looking for a 3-day/week routine, i feel inclined to bring it up

how do your major lifts look?

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
yeah i changed it up a bit, I've done 4 days splits and 5 day splits, I'm trying something new, On part A i focus on Compound which mainly consist of the big 7 or big 5 whichever, on part B my main focus is isolation where I add on more cable and machine work, I also focus more on smaller muscle groups, I just created the routine and I want to perfect it before I do it for 12 weeks, I will add on the rest of my routine as soon as I'm outa work

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
But i always have a mix of both compound and isolation

TexasGuy

Awards
It would be best if you post your whole routine. So far it looks like you are heading for an imbalanced physique.

For a three day split, I would recommend looking in to upper body push/upper body pull/lower body.

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
PART A
BACK/TRI
Pullups/V lat pulldown
wide grip Barbell Rows/Deadlift
Skull Crushers/ Overhead extension
pullups/hyperextension
V- cable pushdown

Legs/shoulder
Front squat/Romanian DL
Leg press/Hack squat
Arnold press/Bent Over laterals
Leg extension/Leg Curl
Upright row/shrug
Calves

heres the rest of part A

Boson3

Awards
I've always liked compound more since it feels more efficient

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Compared to your smaller muscles you are severely neglecting the hamstrings.

Biceps, small muscle, 2 heads, appears to be 3 exercises per week.

Hamstrings: Large muscles, 3 muscles/4 heads...1 exercise per week. And hamstring curls can barely be called a HS exercise since they do not target the hip joint, whereby the hamstrings can create the msot tension.

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
Compared to your smaller muscles you are severely neglecting the hamstrings.

Biceps, small muscle, 2 heads, appears to be 3 exercises per week.

Hamstrings: Large muscles, 3 muscles/4 heads...1 exercise per week. And hamstring curls can barely be called a HS exercise since they do not target the hip joint, whereby the hamstrings can create the msot tension.
I see, well I changed it up today, Im going to follow Houston's advice, I did lower back/legs, still sticking to the 10-8-6-15 method, brutal workout

Low back/Legs

Deadlift
Front Squats/sissy squat
leg press/Seated Calve
Goodmornings/Lunge squats
Leg ext/standing calve

I took exactly 45 minutes and it really killed my legs

and tomorrow is my rest day, gonna go to the gym and only do body weight exercises, so what would be a better technique push with pull such as chest and back and hit arms on their own day or push (chest,shoulder,tri) and pull back/biceps,

TexasGuy

Awards
I see, well I changed it up today, Im going to follow Houston's advice, I did lower back/legs, still sticking to the 10-8-6-15 method, brutal workout

Low back/Legs

Deadlift
Front Squats/sissy squat
leg press/Seated Calve
Goodmornings/Lunge squats
Leg ext/standing calve

I took exactly 45 minutes and it really killed my legs

and tomorrow is my rest day, gonna go to the gym and only do body weight exercises, so what would be a better technique push with pull such as chest and back and hit arms on their own day or push (chest,shoulder,tri) and pull back/biceps,
Push/Pull/Legs makes it hard to screw up programming too much, it forces balance.

Within your leg day though, you are pushing and pulling. Make sure to give equal attention to your front and back side.

In my opinion a rest day should be a rest day. Recover and be ready for your push or pull day, whichever you put first. I'm a little confused about your question but upper body push would be the muscles relating to the bench press for example. Chest, shoulders, triceps basically.

Pull would be the muscles relating to a row. Back and biceps definitely fit here. Shoulders also, they are involved in essentially any upper body motion and you would add rear delt work on this day. (presses,lateral raises and most traditional shoulder lifts fit in to your push day

If you find your shoulders complain at two upper body days in a row, don't worry about structuring the routine push/legs/pull, it will be fine.

And I personally like training abs on leg day.

Edit: FTR, I know how to build a muscular, aesthetically banlanced body however Dr. Cholewa has a website that covers the finer points of programming, the why behind the what usefule, technical advice. I'm an ex-athlete turned meathead. This split is definitely time tested and will put muscle on your frame but tweaks for best practice should be considered as well.

Here is another website I like: http://www.bodybuildingpro.com/

Under the training tab there are articles along with pre-drawn BB style splits. Check them out.

www.exrx.net is another site with fantastic info. but you won't get the personal attention ZirRed can give.

Just read around, the internet makes everything so easy. Weight training isn't rocket science but you definitely have to get it right to avoid injury and long term complications. Forums are a great tool but there are countless articles by very accomplished coaches and lifters out there, including programming.

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
Great info! Thanks alot Texas, just gave me a great lesson in BB, definitely going to look at the websites and perfect my routine, thanks