Do you guys think a 160 lb Dumbbell Curl is impressive?

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
not really. that was pretty much all momentum to get your ody under it. more like a dumbell clean

TexasGuy

Awards
Had it been a clean rep, sure, I would be impressed.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
so what vidoe are you guys watching. i tried the one in the first post and i never saw a curl. i saw an ugly as hell db hang power clean with a massive backwards lean. am i missing something?

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
so what vidoe are you guys watching. i tried the one in the first post and i never saw a curl. i saw an ugly as hell db hang power clean with a massive backwards lean. am i missing something?
nah thats about it. he says "fiver" like 2billion times throughout the vid too

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I didn't even watch the video. Save for a naked woman doing curls, I want no part of it.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Nothing about the "curl" exercise is impressive.
Curls have no value in life IMO...you do not compete in any federation for a bicep curl...and sorry but I see no need to build a huge bicep curl number. I do think some people do need and crave the growth in the bicep...that is to each his own...no idea why they need it or want it so much (seeing how it is almost useless in any major lift...) but for posing competitions and aesthetic self-love...well I guess you don't even need that much weight (or cheat in form) to achieve it.

DV663

DV663

Awards
lmao...that was the furthest thing from a curl, not to mention he almost snapped his back in half in the process. Time to put that dumbbell down and hit the treadmill buddy

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
Curls have no value in life IMO...you do not compete in any federation for a bicep curl...and sorry but I see no need to build a huge bicep curl number. I do think some people do need and crave the growth in the bicep...that is to each his own...no idea why they need it or want it so much (seeing how it is almost useless in any major lift...) but for posing competitions and aesthetic self-love...well I guess you don't even need that much weight (or cheat in form) to achieve it.
Eh I wouldn't call them completely useless. I like to include them for football players, specifically o skill guys who carry the ball. I do agree It's far more of an ego thing in 95% of the population though,

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Useless in any major lift?

How about rows and pull ups?

Just because you don't have powerlifting meets for an exercise does not mean that they aren't major lifts.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Useless in any major lift?

How about rows and pull ups?

Just because you don't have powerlifting meets for an exercise does not mean that they aren't major lifts.
Jim, you do not need huge bicep mass to have them help in rows, and AFIK they are involved little to nothing in Pull Ups :/...chin ups on the other hand, well that's another story.

Just tell me how many lbs that's gonna put on your Squat, Bench or Dead please? (perhaps in the Dead a bit if you are bold and unconcerned enough to curl the bar...)

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Jim, you do not need huge bicep mass to have them help in rows, and AFIK they are involved little to nothing in Pull Ups :/...chin ups on the other hand, well that's another story.

Just tell me how many lbs that's gonna put on your Squat, Bench or Dead please? (perhaps in the Dead a bit if you are bold and unconcerned enough to curl the bar...)
Chin ups/pull ups work the same muscle groups, my understanding is that the hand grip is inefficient for maximal force production from the bicep but they are still a necessary muscle to complete the lift.

You've said it yourself cel, a bigger muscle has the potential to be a stronger muscle. Therefore a larger bicep will be stronger and will help with pulling more weight (rowing not deadlifting)

And my point on the big three still stands. Just because there is no powerlifting federation for rows or pullups does not mean they are not a very necessary, ie major, lift.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Chin ups/pull ups work the same muscle groups, my understanding is that the hand grip is inefficient for maximal force production from the bicep but they are still a necessary muscle to complete the lift.

You've said it yourself cel, a bigger muscle has the potential to be a stronger muscle. Therefore a larger bicep will be stronger and will help with pulling more weight (rowing not deadlifting)

And my point on the big three still stands. Just because there is no powerlifting federation for rows or pullups does not mean they are not a very necessary, ie major, lift.
Just because it has the potential to be a stronger muscle doesn't mean that it will be, and alas that same argument points to the fact that Size can lead to more strength, but size is NOT needed for strength anyhow.

My understanding was that due to the fact that the Biceps was in an inefficient position, the power and stress landed on the Brachioradialis , rather than the Brachii or Brachialis.

Anyhow, I wish Rodja or Jason would chime in to tell us what helps out more in rows...IMO Brachii and Brachialis have less importance than anything in those movements and it is the Brachioradialis which will bring the contribution to the lift, being the back the main muscle group being worked.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm not sure about the biceps (or more specifically elbow flexors) contribute to rows or pullups, but I wouldn't totally discount the utility of the curl, especially in sports that require high levels of elbow flexion or anti-elbow-flexion. For example, the elbow flexors are constantly stressed in grappling. Granted, a big curl or big biceps might not be a major indicator of performance, but it does not totally devalue the curl. On the same line of thinking, strong elbow flexors are important to strongman events such as the atlas stones, zercher style yolk walks, and farmers carries. Moreover, strong biceps and elbow flexors should also prevent certain forearm injuries due to rapid elbow extension (pitching, etc.).

So I would totally dismiss the utility of performing a curl; however, there is absolutely no reason to brag about it or post videos of it to youtube....unless you are naked and of the fairer gender.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just because it has the potential to be a stronger muscle doesn't mean that it will be, and alas that same argument points to the fact that Size can lead to more strength, but size is NOT needed for strength anyhow.

My understanding was that due to the fact that the Biceps was in an inefficient position, the power and stress landed on the Brachioradialis , rather than the Brachii or Brachialis.

Anyhow, I wish Rodja or Jason would chime in to tell us what helps out more in rows...IMO Brachii and Brachialis have less importance than anything in those movements and it is the Brachioradialis which will bring the contribution to the lift, being the back the main muscle group being worked.
Your arguing over nothing. I am not making any point as to which muscle is more important in the lift, I am merely stating that they are an important mover for those movements.

Weak biceps will lead to a weak pullup or row. As they say, you are only as strong as your weakest link.

Take for example your precious DL (because it is more important than everything to you because its part of PLing). With a weak grip your DL will suffer, they may not be primary movers in the lift but they are definitely limiting factors.

The fact of the matter is that if one part of the chain is weak then the entire chain is weak.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Your arguing over nothing. I am not making any point as to which muscle is more important in the lift, I am merely stating that they are an important mover for those movements.

Weak biceps will lead to a weak pullup or row. As they say, you are only as strong as your weakest link.

Take for example your precious DL (because it is more important than everything to you because its part of PLing). With a weak grip your DL will suffer, they may not be primary movers in the lift but they are definitely limiting factors.

The fact of the matter is that if one part of the chain is weak then the entire chain is weak.
Jason doesn't seem to think Rows or Pull ups are important for it...I wait for Rodja now, I already told yah my POV that training biceps will NOT lead to a bigger row OR pull up at all (which is your argument, that it is the weakest link in those ones)...My point is that elbow flexors (as the Brachioradialis) are the ones helping out there more than anything, and the biceps is just part of the move and not essential to contributing in the power of the move...

What I mean to say, (for example) if you train calves, have HUGE calves, and also can do 500lb calf raises (exaggerated a bit...) does it make you go up like 10-20-30lbs on your Squat...? Just wondering...

TexasGuy

Awards

Not to mention "impressive" isn't contained within powerlifting. Moving heavy weight is impressive, and heavy is relative to a lift.

A heavy bench is a weak squat but a 400 pound bench is impressive, as a bench press.

If some one can curl 160 pounds, clean, that is ****ing impressive.

Lou Ferrigno repping 100 lb dumbell incline curls for a pump in Pumping Iron is ****ing impressive.

Letting someone else tell you what lifts are impressive based on one particular sports demands is weak.

And curls hit the brachialis and brachii, and yes, the stronger the curl, the better virtually any pulling lift will be. The upper arm is typically the weak link for rows, pullups/downs et cetera. The larger the strength capacity of the upper back, the bigger deadlift capacity and strong biceps assist in building a strong upper back. Hell, a strong upper back lends itself to a stronger squat, bench and overhead press too.

Strongman is more impressive than powerlifting anyways and you can bet strong biceps help lift stones, pull trucks... highland caber toss...

A strong bicep will help prevent bicepital tendonitis in the shoulder, various types of elbow tendonitis and can prevent the bicep from rupturing during a heavy deadlift.

And a big lift is a big lift, regardless of some arbitrary sanction.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Not to mention "impressive" isn't contained within powerlifting. Moving heavy weight is impressive, and heavy is relative to a lift.

A heavy bench is a weak squat but a 400 pound bench is impressive, as a bench press.

If some one can curl 160 pounds, clean, that is ****ing impressive.

Lou Ferrigno repping 100 lb dumbell incline curls for a pump in Pumping Iron is ****ing impressive.

Letting someone else tell you what lifts are impressive based on one particular sports demands is weak.

And curls hit the brachialis and brachii, and yes, the stronger the curl, the better virtually any pulling lift will be. The upper arm is typically the weak link for rows, pullups/downs et cetera. The larger the strength capacity of the upper back, the bigger deadlift capacity and strong biceps assist in building a strong upper back. Hell, a strong upper back lends itself to a stronger squat, bench and overhead press too.

Strongman is more impressive than powerlifting anyways and you can bet strong biceps help lift stones, pull trucks... highland caber toss...

A strong bicep will help prevent bicepital tendonitis in the shoulder, various types of elbow tendonitis and can prevent the bicep from rupturing during a heavy deadlift.

And a big lift is a big lift, regardless of some arbitrary sanction.
So you are saying that bigger Brachii and bigger Brachialis leads to better pulls in ALL plains? and ANY Kind of pull :)?

TexasGuy

Awards
So you are saying that bigger Brachii and bigger Brachialis leads to better pulls in ALL plains? and ANY Kind of pull :)?
You can read my post again if you need reinforcement.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
You can read my post again if you need reinforcement.
Haha no need it was a rhetoric question :). I always enjoy your contribution to threads!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

As someone who makes endless jokes about my lack of bicep volume (I maybe do 4-5 sets a month), I can tell you for a fact that they are not a limiting factor on rows. I've been cranking out sets of 20 with the 145s for quite some time all while never increasing bicep volume or making an attempt to strengthen them. All-in-all, the biceps have very limited usefulness as a group unless you have heavy arm activity (e.g. pitchers).

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
As someone who makes endless jokes about my lack of bicep volume (I maybe do 4-5 sets a month), I can tell you for a fact that they are not a limiting factor on rows. I've been cranking out sets of 20 with the 145s for quite some time all while never increasing bicep volume or making an attempt to strengthen them. All-in-all, the biceps have very limited usefulness as a group unless you have heavy arm activity (e.g. pitchers).
I had been waiting for this, thanks a lot Rodja!

Wrestlers (grapplers) might need Bicep strength too, I believe Jason mentioned it too...Just talked to a buddy of mine to check that, and yeah he does feel he gets a better hold if he has stronger elbow flexion but yeah other than that nope.

Also, what's your take on needing to train biceps for bigger pull ups?

Danb2285

Danb2285

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had been waiting for this, thanks a lot Rodja!

Wrestlers (grapplers) might need Bicep strength too, I believe Jason mentioned it too...Just talked to a buddy of mine to check that, and yeah he does feel he gets a better hold if he has stronger elbow flexion but yeah other than that nope.

Also, what's your take on needing to train biceps for bigger pull ups?
Curls wouldn't help much for wrestlers as there's a lot of isometric in the clinch that won't be improved with a curl. For pullups, it would depend on the grip being utilized, but, again, we're looking at limited carryover.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not sure about the biceps (or more specifically elbow flexors) contribute to rows or pullups,
Jason doesn't seem to think Rows or Pull ups are important for it...I wait for Rodja now, I already told yah my POV that training biceps will NOT lead to a bigger row OR pull up at all (which is your argument, that it is the weakest link in those ones)...My point is that elbow flexors (as the Brachioradialis) are the ones helping out there more than anything, and the biceps is just part of the move and not essential to contributing in the power of the move...

What I mean to say, (for example) if you train calves, have HUGE calves, and also can do 500lb calf raises (exaggerated a bit...) does it make you go up like 10-20-30lbs on your Squat...? Just wondering...
You forget your reading glasses? He said he wasn't sure the elbow flexors (not just biceps) and then you use his statement to validate your comments about the elbow flexors being the main assistance....

Also, I was unaware of the calves having any function that is even remotely similar to that of the biceps. What major joint of the leg do they flex again (as the biceps are elbow flexors, which is a fairly important joint in the upper extremity)

Apples to oranges with that comparison brother. But I forgot you do know it all, so why argue?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You forget your reading glasses? He said he wasn't sure the elbow flexors (not just biceps) and then you use his statement to validate your comments about the elbow flexors being the main assistance....

Also, I was unaware of the calves having any function that is even remotely similar to that of the biceps. What major joint of the leg do they flex again (as the biceps are elbow flexors, which is a fairly important joint in the upper extremity)

Apples to oranges with that comparison brother. But I forgot you do know it all, so why argue?
The calves do play a role in knee flexion.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards

¬¬' apples to oranges was your grip comparison too...Grip is essential for any discipline, unlike Mr. Bicep here who is being put on the stand of usefulness...

Now can you please not get heated up? I am actually trying to argue here in a normal matter...you have your point I have mine, and the experts chime in and out...why make this the "you know it all , why argue?" comment...it's a discussion Jim...

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cool. I can admit that I am wrong, although I find it hard to believe that rowing movements do not work the biceps (seeing as the general consensus on these boards is that excessive volume for biceps is not necessary because of the work they get during pulling.movements)

But I know that Jason and Rodja both have significantly more knowledge and experience than I do on the topic.

I concede defeat oh mighty one as I am here to learn, not to throw the small amount (in comparison to others) in everyone elses face.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Cool. I can admit that I am wrong, although I find it hard to believe that rowing movements do not work the biceps (seeing as the general consensus on these boards is that excessive volume for biceps is not necessary because of the work they get during pulling.movements)

But I know that Jason and Rodja both have significantly more knowledge and experience than I do on the topic.

I concede defeat oh mighty one as I am here to learn, not to throw the small amount (in comparison to others) in everyone elses face.
¬¬' wow that was mature...we were just arguing and I learned something here too...the fact that it does have (albeit little) carryover, and the fact that Ryan and Jason pointed out...that certain sports DO need biceps, so I was wrong too here Jim...

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The calves do play a role in knee flexion.
Hmm interesting.

I was under the impression (apparently false) that the hamstrings were the primary knee flexors.

How large of a role is it that the calves play in that?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

It depends on your definition of work versus involved. I would say that they're involved, but not that they really work the biceps.

Calves don't play a huge role in knee flexion, but they are a two-joint muscle group.

Danb2285

Danb2285

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It depends on your definition of work versus involved. I would say that they're involved, but not that they really work the biceps.

Calves don't play a huge role in knee flexion, but they are a two-joint muscle group.
Soo what your saying is rows do involve biceps...and curls work biceps. So wouldn't in turn curls have a direct affect on rows then? Not being a smart ass just genuinely confused at whos arguing what now lol

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Out of a simple "yes or no answered" thread I just learned a crap load. Though I have zero scientific backing, I very rarely work biceps and it has not hindered my ability to progress in all pulling movements.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Out of a simple "yes or no answered" thread I just learned a crap load. Though I have zero scientific backing, I very rarely work biceps and it has not hindered my ability to progress in all pulling movements.
I can say the same for that last bit too, my rows have gone up the same with or without direct bicep training. My Bi's haven't grown though, but I don't really want them to haha.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Soo what your saying is rows do involve biceps...and curls work biceps. So wouldn't in turn curls have a direct affect on rows then? Not being a smart ass just genuinely confused at his arguing what now lol
You would think so by that logic, but most do not put enough emphasis on horizontal extension to see dividends. The biceps are a secondary mover and are most likely not going to be the weak point in the movement. I have yet to see someone whose weak point in pullups/rows is the biceps.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My main argument to this point is the pulling movements work the bicep (because I can't understand how they are involved in the movement but not worked by it) so when you do your pulling motions you're still training the bicep.

Which is what I thought the reasoning behind telling people to lower total arm volume (isolation) because it could stress the recovery of those smaller muscles that are already stressed in pulling/pushing motions.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But it's very possible that my logic is flawed (as per Rodjas post)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My main argument to this point is the pulling movements work the bicep (because I can't understand how they are involved in the movement but not worked by it) so when you do your pulling motions you're still training the bicep.Which is what I thought the reasoning behind telling people to lower total arm volume (isolation) because it could stress the recovery of those smaller muscles that are already stressed in pulling/pushing motions.
Rows will work the biceps in the same way that the BB'ing bench press will work the triceps: not that much. They're involved, but are not going to be the weak area or primary mover. My reasoning for limiting arm volume is to put that extra volume and effort into compound movements instead of focusing on beach muscle day.

TexasGuy

Awards
There is not a rowing variation where the biceps and brachialis are not either synergists or stabilizers.

They certainly are synergists during pullups.

Hell, strong biceps are even a stabilizer during a bench press.

Ignoring an important link in many chains of movement is stupid and limiting. Sure, you can gain without direct work as the inherent indirect work of virtually any routine will strengthen the biceps and brachialis but sandbagging is dumb.

Not only that, but who says the importance of biceps is even based on some powerlifting ideals?

It's weird how certain powerlifters seem to feel there aren't weight training goals outside of powerlifting. I'm looking at you, Celorza.

"I do sports [get sexy]. Not try to be the best at exercising."

Kenny Powers.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
There is not a rowing variation where the biceps and brachialis are not either synergists or stabilizers.

They certainly are synergists during pullups.

Hell, strong biceps are even a stabilizer during a bench press.

Ignoring an important link in many chains of movement is stupid and limiting. Sure, you can gain without direct work as the inherent indirect work of virtually any routine will strengthen the biceps and brachialis but sandbagging is dumb.

Not only that, but who says the importance of biceps is even based on some powerlifting ideals?

It's weird how certain powerlifters seem to feel there aren't weight training goals outside of powerlifting. I'm looking at you, Celorza.

"I do sports [get sexy]. Not try to be the best at exercising."

Kenny Powers.
I will honor this post by merely laughing at it...I loved the Synergism and Stabilizer portion of it...specially the bench stabilizer...I did not know that Biceps were code for Scapula and Rear Delts :)!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rows will work the biceps in the same way that the BB'ing bench press will work the triceps: not that much. They're involved, but are not going to be the weak area or primary mover. My reasoning for limiting arm volume is to put that extra volume and effort into compound movements instead of focusing on beach muscle day.
People having issues with lockout on bench isn't related to the triceps? (Possibly a myth I picked up here)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
People having issues with lockout on bench isn't related to the triceps? (Possibly a myth I picked up here)
That's why I said the BB'ing bench, which is not about 1RM. Now, the PL'ing bench is very much about the strength of the triceps, but not the BB'ing version.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I see it as how you keep the push towards the lift, it depends mainly on CNS adaptation and carryovers from other lifts (IE Floor Press) and also with the direct assistance work.

For me doing floor press and/or heavy CGBP is what helps the top portion of the lift, IMO it is a mix of getting used to "keep pushing" through the lift (so more motor coordination and CNS involvement) and also strength from the assisting muscles that are directly engaged in the lift.

TexasGuy

Awards
I will honor this post by merely laughing at it...I loved the Synergism and Stabilizer portion of it...specially the bench stabilizer...I did not know that Biceps were code for Scapula and Rear Delts :)!
I'm still not sure if you even lift weights or just enjoy acting like a clown.

Here is a link to an article by Jim Wendler:

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/powerlifting-articles/5-ways-to-increase-your-bench-press/

Laugh away, Celorza. I'll take Wendlers word over your skepticism myself.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/powerlifting-articles/5-ways-to-increase-your-bench-press/

Sorry chump, you stepped in MY ground...PL bench really is built by the following:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_periodization_bible_part_ii;jsessionid=2E8B35D0820A6DD90EE43E68C0F9F3D3-mcd01.hydra

I don't see NO biceps there, and I will take Dave Tate's word over Jim Wendler's any day of the month.

Thanks.

Ballesteri

Ballesteri

Awards

Sorry chump, you stepped in MY ground...PL bench really is built by the following:

I don't see NO biceps there, and I will take Dave Tate's word over Jim Wendler's any day of the month.

Thanks.
When Tiger Woods got to technical he lost his game