Love squats and deads, but glutes getting too big - AnabolicMinds.com

Love squats and deads, but glutes getting too big

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

Love squats and deads, but glutes getting too big

Anybody go through a similar episode on how to balance this issue out? I love squats, front squats, deads, roman deads ect, but have had to back off a bit since I didn't like the proportion development I am getting. I've been training for quite some time and form is excellent. I suppose part of it is that I'm predisposed genetically to develop like this, but lately I have been resorting to leg press/hack squat variations to try to limit glute activation. It just sucks since those are great mass building exercises and I need other variations in training routine. I like the routines in the newsletters, but I'm limited in what I can do given the circumstances. How would like it if you received a comment of "the white boy with the black booty." WTF?

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I get that response all the time and love it. It makes buying jeans a pain in the ass, but it's a small price to pay for a big squat and pull.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

This might sound strange, but nothing look more athletic or powerful than a big pair of glutes. Plus, most women appreciate it.

Also, the size of your glutes is always the first to decrease when you try and lean out.
    •   

4. New Member

My girl loves my ass. And I deadlift like mad...
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I get that response all the time and love it. It makes buying jeans a pain in the ass, but it's a small price to pay for a big squat and pull.
    Lol - okay well at least I'm not the only one. I always have to buy pants with bigger waist size to accommodate which can be a pain in the ass.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    This might sound strange, but nothing look more athletic or powerful than a big pair of glutes. Plus, most women appreciate it.

Also, the size of your glutes is always the first to decrease when you try and lean out.
    I hear you on the look, but there is a fine line between aesthetically appealing and un-proportional mass imo.

I've noticed that as well when leaning out that glutes are the first to decrease.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

Haven't been able to wear off the rack jeans for 2 years. Just picked up a new suit, nightmare is an understatement. Your not alone keep squatting and pulling embrace your genetics.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'9"  245 lbs.

First time at a strip club and one of the dancers told me "Hey bubble butt. Your ass is bigger than mine!" I didn't know wether to feel insulted or take it as a compliment. Genetics can be lame...
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Philshred View Post
    First time at a strip club and one of the dancers told me "Hey bubble butt. Your ass is bigger than mine!" I didn't know wether to feel insulted or take it as a compliment. Genetics can be lame...
    I would have felt the same lol
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

In for glute pics
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    In for glute pics
    LOL! I think that would constitute a perma-ban if we started posting glute pics
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Philshred
    Blhaha
    Strippers can talk smack too you know
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.

Same problem here. Everyone I run into mentions something about it, guys and girls. I use to try to find ways around working glutes with legs but eventually gave up. For those of you with a big ass, do you stand wide when u squat? I'm extremely glute dominant when I squat and pull but I'm also really strong on lower body lifts because of it, so I guess it works out.
    CELTIC LABS REP
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.

Yes i used to squat wide, ass got to big so i brought it in. Better for your hips too.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.

same happens with me, having some trouble in buying a pair of jeans that can fit my ass
  16. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by j05441 View Post
    Yes i used to squat wide, ass got to big so i brought it in. Better for your hips too.
    That's due to less hip involvement. Wide squatting requires more upkeep in terms of hip mobility and prehab, but is the way to go IMO.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post
    Same problem here. Everyone I run into mentions something about it, guys and girls. I use to try to find ways around working glutes with legs but eventually gave up. For those of you with a big ass, do you stand wide when u squat? I'm extremely glute dominant when I squat and pull but I'm also really strong on lower body lifts because of it, so I guess it works out.
    I try to keep feet shoulder width apart for the most part with feet slight turned out on back squats. I've found myself to be glute dominate on a lot of exercises, so I try to focus on releasing glute activation to some extent to allow other muscle to take on the load i.e. quads. I've found there to be less glute activation with front squats (feet straight forward, not turned out and shoulder width apart) and certain olympic lifts. I'll supplement some olympic lifts in place of squats since I don't have to lift as heavy and go for more explosion, then follow that up with leg presses and hack squats and other leg exercises.

My buddy likes to get to 25LB plates to put heels on edge while he squats so he gets more quad activation and less glute activation. That's what Arnold did back in the day to get more quad separation. I tried it but it doesn't work well with my knees.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fobra

I try to keep feet shoulder width apart for the most part with feet slight turned out on back squats. I've found myself to be glute dominate on a lot of exercises, so I try to focus on releasing glute activation to some extent to allow other muscle to take on the load i.e. quads. I've found there to be less glute activation with front squats (feet straight forward, not turned out and shoulder width apart) and certain olympic lifts. I'll supplement some olympic lifts in place of squats since I don't have to lift as heavy and go for more explosion, then follow that up with leg presses and hack squats and other leg exercises.

My buddy likes to get to 25LB plates to put heels on edge while he squats so he gets more quad activation and less glute activation. That's what Arnold did back in the day to get more quad separation. I tried it but it doesn't work well with my knees.
    Try some Olympic weight lifting shoes they have an elevated wooden heel

also i believe the higher heels have help also but the difference in your calfs like if there tight. I could be wrong maybe someone could elaborate
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  197 lbs.

I would like to add to this discusion if I may. I have been training for years and years and I too am geneticaly disposed to lower body growth. My legs have always had great size compared to my somewhat normal sized upper body. I realized this at a young age and very early on developed a routine that focused mainly on upper body growth in an effort to someday have it all even out. LOL I know this sounds crazy but now I'm 35 yo and i have finally got my body symetry where I like it and imo "matched". The problem I faced for years and years was my leg day was always limited and relied on cardio activities and mountain biking to give my legs a workout.

I would squat and DL maybe 2-3 times a month and never anything heavy. Basicaly I was just going through the motions. Last year I said screw it and started paying more attention to muscle activation and MM connection when doing legs and low and behold I was able to completley recomp my legs AND GLUTES by going all in during these staple lifts!

My partner and I just started mixing it up and a few months ago we started doing box squats with rubber bands. We have the box set up at parrallel and warm up with 2x10 @ 135. We follow our warm up with 10 sets of 10. When we started doing this we used 225 for a few weeks and we were smoked when we were done (the squat session takes about 12-15 min). The we started adding 10lb a week. We are currently at 285 and quickly aproaching our goal of 315 banded 10x10.

One thing I really noticed when doing squats like this is was I can really activate my quads vice my glutes and really get a solid push throughout the full range with minimal glute recruitment. Maybe something worth trying.

Then again we go right into 135BB lunges after so my glutes are screwed either way!

Good luck
  20. New Member

My ass is huge. Bubble butt. Just today i was joking w my wife saying u could balance a pop can on the top.

But i digress. 2 suggestions: 1) try dieting, 2) narrow ur stance to place more emphasis on quads
    PREMIUM NUTRACEUTICALS (PNI) REP/ATHLETE
    BROSER BUILT REP/ATHLETE
    LET ME HELP YOU BY SETTING UP A DIET/TRAINING PROGRAM TO REACH YOUR GOALS! INBOX ME
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    That's due to less hip involvement. Wide squatting requires more upkeep in terms of hip mobility and prehab, but is the way to go IMO.
    I half agree. Training for and competing in power lifting comps where the goal is to move a maximal load the shortest distance then absolutely.

However, if you are an olympic lifter or training for sports performance, the stances are much narrower. Consider the width of the feet when performing a vertical jump or accelerating during running - they are generally hip width apart. Using a wide stance more frequently than a narrower stance will have much less carry over.
  22. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    I half agree. Training for and competing in power lifting comps where the goal is to move a maximal load the shortest distance then absolutely.

However, if you are an olympic lifter or training for sports performance, the stances are much narrower. Consider the width of the feet when performing a vertical jump or accelerating during running - they are generally hip width apart. Using a wide stance more frequently than a narrower stance will have much less carry over.
    Wouldn't being able to handle a greater load and having stronger hips provide just as much, if not better, carryover for a non-Olympic lifting athlete? It would also mean that the spine and core would be able to hold a much greater load as well. I'm not saying either one should be run exclusively, but there is more carryover for the wide-stance squat than most acknowledge.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  23. Professional Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Fobra View Post
    Anybody go through a similar episode on how to balance this issue out? I love squats, front squats, deads, roman deads ect, but have had to back off a bit since I didn't like the proportion development I am getting. I've been training for quite some time and form is excellent. I suppose part of it is that I'm predisposed genetically to develop like this, but lately I have been resorting to leg press/hack squat variations to try to limit glute activation. It just sucks since those are great mass building exercises and I need other variations in training routine. I like the routines in the newsletters, but I'm limited in what I can do given the circumstances. How would like it if you received a comment of "the white boy with the black booty." WTF?

Kinda wish I had that problem!
    Squats do a booty good.
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by gokix811 View Post
    Kinda wish I had that problem!
    Well I guess this would be a gender preference issue If you want'em that bad, do the exercises listed that yield the results, just don't get mad when guys start making double takes to get a peek
  25. Professional Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Fobra View Post
    Well I guess this would be a gender preference issue If you want'em that bad, do the exercises listed that yield the results, just don't get mad when guys start making double takes to get a peek
    Brb going to train glutes
    Squats do a booty good.
  26. New Member

embrace the ass, man
  27. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by quik_tongue View Post
    embrace the ass, man
    If it's female, then I completely agree.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Squats and Deads widen the waist???
    By SamuraiSid in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 09:20 PM
  2. Question on Squats and Deads
    By JNB in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-07-2008, 06:11 PM
  3. Squats and Deads = bigger waist?
    By KingMeso in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-29-2008, 02:54 AM
  4. are squats and deads making me shorter?
    By tunnelrat in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 08:17 PM
  5. squats and deads, placement in split?
    By dbag333 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 03:53 PM