Love squats and deads, but glutes getting too big

Fobra

Fobra

Awards
Anybody go through a similar episode on how to balance this issue out? I love squats, front squats, deads, roman deads ect, but have had to back off a bit since I didn't like the proportion development I am getting. I've been training for quite some time and form is excellent. I suppose part of it is that I'm predisposed genetically to develop like this, but lately I have been resorting to leg press/hack squat variations to try to limit glute activation. It just sucks since those are great mass building exercises and I need other variations in training routine. I like the routines in the newsletters, but I'm limited in what I can do given the circumstances. How would like it if you received a comment of "the white boy with the black booty." WTF?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I get that response all the time and love it. It makes buying jeans a pain in the ass, but it's a small price to pay for a big squat and pull.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This might sound strange, but nothing look more athletic or powerful than a big pair of glutes. Plus, most women appreciate it.

Also, the size of your glutes is always the first to decrease when you try and lean out.

Fobra

Fobra

Awards
I get that response all the time and love it. It makes buying jeans a pain in the ass, but it's a small price to pay for a big squat and pull.
Lol - okay well at least I'm not the only one. I always have to buy pants with bigger waist size to accommodate which can be a pain in the ass.

Fobra

Fobra

Awards
This might sound strange, but nothing look more athletic or powerful than a big pair of glutes. Plus, most women appreciate it.

Also, the size of your glutes is always the first to decrease when you try and lean out.
I hear you on the look, but there is a fine line between aesthetically appealing and un-proportional mass imo.

I've noticed that as well when leaning out that glutes are the first to decrease.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Haven't been able to wear off the rack jeans for 2 years. Just picked up a new suit, nightmare is an understatement. Your not alone keep squatting and pulling embrace your genetics.

Philshred

Philshred

Awards
First time at a strip club and one of the dancers told me "Hey bubble butt. Your ass is bigger than mine!" I didn't know wether to feel insulted or take it as a compliment. Genetics can be lame...

Fobra

Fobra

Awards
First time at a strip club and one of the dancers told me "Hey bubble butt. Your ass is bigger than mine!" I didn't know wether to feel insulted or take it as a compliment. Genetics can be lame...
I would have felt the same lol

j05441

Awards
Blhaha
Strippers can talk smack too you know

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Same problem here. Everyone I run into mentions something about it, guys and girls. I use to try to find ways around working glutes with legs but eventually gave up. For those of you with a big ass, do you stand wide when u squat? I'm extremely glute dominant when I squat and pull but I'm also really strong on lower body lifts because of it, so I guess it works out.

j05441

Awards
Yes i used to squat wide, ass got to big so i brought it in. Better for your hips too.

ClaudioAnimal

ClaudioAnimal

Awards
same happens with me, having some trouble in buying a pair of jeans that can fit my ass

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes i used to squat wide, ass got to big so i brought it in. Better for your hips too.
That's due to less hip involvement. Wide squatting requires more upkeep in terms of hip mobility and prehab, but is the way to go IMO.

Fobra

Fobra

Awards
Same problem here. Everyone I run into mentions something about it, guys and girls. I use to try to find ways around working glutes with legs but eventually gave up. For those of you with a big ass, do you stand wide when u squat? I'm extremely glute dominant when I squat and pull but I'm also really strong on lower body lifts because of it, so I guess it works out.
I try to keep feet shoulder width apart for the most part with feet slight turned out on back squats. I've found myself to be glute dominate on a lot of exercises, so I try to focus on releasing glute activation to some extent to allow other muscle to take on the load i.e. quads. I've found there to be less glute activation with front squats (feet straight forward, not turned out and shoulder width apart) and certain olympic lifts. I'll supplement some olympic lifts in place of squats since I don't have to lift as heavy and go for more explosion, then follow that up with leg presses and hack squats and other leg exercises.

My buddy likes to get to 25LB plates to put heels on edge while he squats so he gets more quad activation and less glute activation. That's what Arnold did back in the day to get more quad separation. I tried it but it doesn't work well with my knees.

j05441

Awards
I try to keep feet shoulder width apart for the most part with feet slight turned out on back squats. I've found myself to be glute dominate on a lot of exercises, so I try to focus on releasing glute activation to some extent to allow other muscle to take on the load i.e. quads. I've found there to be less glute activation with front squats (feet straight forward, not turned out and shoulder width apart) and certain olympic lifts. I'll supplement some olympic lifts in place of squats since I don't have to lift as heavy and go for more explosion, then follow that up with leg presses and hack squats and other leg exercises.

My buddy likes to get to 25LB plates to put heels on edge while he squats so he gets more quad activation and less glute activation. That's what Arnold did back in the day to get more quad separation. I tried it but it doesn't work well with my knees.
Try some Olympic weight lifting shoes they have an elevated wooden heel

also i believe the higher heels have help also but the difference in your calfs like if there tight. I could be wrong maybe someone could elaborate

Boatcop1

Awards
  • Established
I would like to add to this discusion if I may. I have been training for years and years and I too am geneticaly disposed to lower body growth. My legs have always had great size compared to my somewhat normal sized upper body. I realized this at a young age and very early on developed a routine that focused mainly on upper body growth in an effort to someday have it all even out. LOL I know this sounds crazy but now I'm 35 yo and i have finally got my body symetry where I like it and imo "matched". The problem I faced for years and years was my leg day was always limited and relied on cardio activities and mountain biking to give my legs a workout.

I would squat and DL maybe 2-3 times a month and never anything heavy. Basicaly I was just going through the motions. Last year I said screw it and started paying more attention to muscle activation and MM connection when doing legs and low and behold I was able to completley recomp my legs AND GLUTES by going all in during these staple lifts!

My partner and I just started mixing it up and a few months ago we started doing box squats with rubber bands. We have the box set up at parrallel and warm up with 2x10 @ 135. We follow our warm up with 10 sets of 10. When we started doing this we used 225 for a few weeks and we were smoked when we were done (the squat session takes about 12-15 min). The we started adding 10lb a week. We are currently at 285 and quickly aproaching our goal of 315 banded 10x10.

One thing I really noticed when doing squats like this is was I can really activate my quads vice my glutes and really get a solid push throughout the full range with minimal glute recruitment. Maybe something worth trying.

Then again we go right into 135BB lunges after so my glutes are screwed either way!

Good luck

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
My ass is huge. Bubble butt. Just today i was joking w my wife saying u could balance a pop can on the top.

But i digress. 2 suggestions: 1) try dieting, 2) narrow ur stance to place more emphasis on quads

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's due to less hip involvement. Wide squatting requires more upkeep in terms of hip mobility and prehab, but is the way to go IMO.
I half agree. Training for and competing in power lifting comps where the goal is to move a maximal load the shortest distance then absolutely.

However, if you are an olympic lifter or training for sports performance, the stances are much narrower. Consider the width of the feet when performing a vertical jump or accelerating during running - they are generally hip width apart. Using a wide stance more frequently than a narrower stance will have much less carry over.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I half agree. Training for and competing in power lifting comps where the goal is to move a maximal load the shortest distance then absolutely.

However, if you are an olympic lifter or training for sports performance, the stances are much narrower. Consider the width of the feet when performing a vertical jump or accelerating during running - they are generally hip width apart. Using a wide stance more frequently than a narrower stance will have much less carry over.
Wouldn't being able to handle a greater load and having stronger hips provide just as much, if not better, carryover for a non-Olympic lifting athlete? It would also mean that the spine and core would be able to hold a much greater load as well. I'm not saying either one should be run exclusively, but there is more carryover for the wide-stance squat than most acknowledge.

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anybody go through a similar episode on how to balance this issue out? I love squats, front squats, deads, roman deads ect, but have had to back off a bit since I didn't like the proportion development I am getting. I've been training for quite some time and form is excellent. I suppose part of it is that I'm predisposed genetically to develop like this, but lately I have been resorting to leg press/hack squat variations to try to limit glute activation. It just sucks since those are great mass building exercises and I need other variations in training routine. I like the routines in the newsletters, but I'm limited in what I can do given the circumstances. How would like it if you received a comment of "the white boy with the black booty." WTF?

Kinda wish I had that problem! :laugh:

Fobra

Fobra

Awards
Kinda wish I had that problem! :laugh:
Well I guess this would be a gender preference issue :laugh: If you want'em that bad, do the exercises listed that yield the results, just don't get mad when guys start making double takes to get a peek :notworthy:

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well I guess this would be a gender preference issue :laugh: If you want'em that bad, do the exercises listed that yield the results, just don't get mad when guys start making double takes to get a peek :notworthy:
Brb going to train glutes :laugh:

heybeavis1

heybeavis1

Awards
Lol - okay well at least I'm not the only one. I always have to buy pants with bigger waist size to accommodate which can be a pain in the ass.
If you don´t, then it would be a pain in the ass (literally) lol

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Man, embrace it. You know how many women judge a man's appearance by his ass and legs? It's a sign of true strength over a big upper body.

I love having a running back ass and would never want a smaller one.