what is blood starving sets?

the GUNSHOW

the GUNSHOW

Awards
  • Established
what is blood starving sets? I cant find anythink on it? how does is work? any help here would be soooooo freakin good

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Are you talking about fascia stretching?

If so, do a search on that term instead, and you might find more info.

the GUNSHOW

the GUNSHOW

Awards
  • Established
can't find anything on it is all I know is that it's a really new workout that all the bigboys are doing

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you referring to occlusion / kaatsu training?

That might be the only thing I can think of that has anything to do with "blood starving".

It's not exactly new, its been around for at least the past 10 years.

Basically, you cut off circulation to the area you are working via an inflatable cuff. Then, you perform a high rep set with about 25% of the 1rm. Because blood cannot get in to the muscle to deliver nutrients, nor out to take away waste, a lot of metabolic bi-products are generated and stay within the muscle for a longer period of time. However, once the occlusion is release, blood flow rushes in to remove bi-products and deliver nutrients to """nutrient starved""" muscles.

Most studies show a high GH response to this type of training, and some have seen increases in hypertrophy.

Yudai Takarada has published a lot of research studies on it.

Eur J Appl Physiol. 2002 Feb;86(4):308-14.

Effects of resistance exercise combined with vascular occlusion on muscle function in athletes.

Takarada Y, Sato Y, Ishii N.

Department of Life Sciences, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, University of Tokyo, Komaba Tokyo, Japan.

Abstract: The effects of resistance exercise combined with vascular occlusion on muscle function were investigated in highly trained athletes. Elite rugby players (n = 17) took part in an 8 week study of exercise training of the knee extensor muscles, in which low-intensity [about 50% of one repetition maximum] exercise combined with an occlusion pressure of about 200 mmHg (LIO, n = 6), low-intensity exercise without the occlusion (LI, n = 6), and no exercise training (untrained control, n = 5) were included. The exercise in the LI group was of the same intensity and amount as in the LIO group. The LIO group showed a significantly larger increase in isokinetic knee extension torque than that in the other two groups (P < 0.05) at all the velocities studied. On the other hand, no significant difference was seen between LI and the control group. In the LIO group, the cross-sectional area of knee extensors increased significantly (P < 0.01), suggesting that the increase in knee extension strength was mainly caused by muscle hypertrophy. The dynamic endurance of knee extensors estimated from the decreases in mechanical work production and peak force after 50 repeated concentric contractions was also improved after LIO, whereas no significant change was observed in the LI and control groups. The results indicated that low-intensity resistance exercise causes, in almost fully trained athletes, increases in muscle size, strength and endurance, when combined with vascular occlusion.
Br

the GUNSHOW

the GUNSHOW

Awards
  • Established
thanks for all that man but no that's not it ether and this is driving me crazy too some of the pro bodybulders are doing this "new workout" but will not tell anyone what it is ... I'm at a golds gym and a big body bilder was talking about it and how J is doing it for the next Mr O but no one will tell you what it is :(

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm curious as well...