pain in hips

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
I have this really bad pain in my hips. I think got my hips messed up from doing very heavy leg presses, honestly can't remember. All I know is they hurt really bad, and if I poke them, they are very tender. This has been going on for months, and I kept thinking it will go away with time and rest. Anyone experienced anything like this, and how did you recover from it. Even doing simple exercises like body squats make them hurt like a mofo. If I stand and lean to the side, they hurt.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Do you stretch after lifting? It could be muscle tightness that has caused a posture problem or something pressing on some nerves. Have you gone to a dr yet? If its been months you need to get it checked. Check with some sort of sports doc or physical therapist type that might be more knowledgeable than just a general practitioner.

762mm

762mm

Awards
Hey guys! Glad I found this post. I JUST got back from the gym. I was curling 140lbs. On my 3rd set (my sets are 110lbs for the first 11 reps, then 120lbs, then 140lbs) so on my 3rd set, i near instantly felt this sharp accute pain in my lower left spinal and upper left hip area. This stopped me from continuing my workout. (thank god i was nearly done anyways)

Anyone knowledgable in this? Im worried I may have slipped a disc.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
So you just decided to hijack my thread, lol. I guess you are prior military, 50cal, m60?

762mm

762mm

Awards
lol sorry about that !! I have been reading about slipped discs and all their symptoms. It sounds like we have disc issues my friend!!

And Yes I served in the Army, 11 Bravo Infantry Div. Spent time in Ft. Bennings back in 20003!! Best G-Dam thing i have even done!! And You?

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Did some time at Ft Benning myself, good ole Kelly Hill. I plan to go see some sort of sport medicine doctor next week. This hip thing is really bothering me. I sometimes wonder if it might also stem from so many airborned jumps. I hope you did not hurt yourself too bad, and that you find some relief soon.

762mm

762mm

Awards
Thank Ya Thank Ya, and same back to ya!! I am pretty much recovered from a 5 year spinal problem that put me down, and have been trying so hard to regain the strength I had lost. I was pretty proud of myself of being able to curl 140lbs. I knew I was pushing myself, then ZING, here comes the pain lmao

I will see how my spine feels tomorrow. And ya, post your medics response to what is wrong with your spine !! Curious !! I will do the same !!

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Kool, I know one thing I won't go to a chiropractor, I think they just keep you coming so they can make money, lol.

762mm

762mm

Awards
A-MAN that that brother !! I will go to my normal MD, and she will send me for an M.R.I without any issues. Plus she is hot! My wife teases me all the time about that, but my wife is a freak of hotness !! lol Maybe they could both play doctor lol

I hope your back is not messed up. Man that could, and can set someone anyone back for months. Not a way to loose gains!!

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
Thank Ya Thank Ya, and same back to ya!! I am pretty much recovered from a 5 year spinal problem that put me down, and have been trying so hard to regain the strength I had lost. I was pretty proud of myself of being able to curl 140lbs. I knew I was pushing myself, then ZING, here comes the pain lmao

I will see how my spine feels tomorrow. And ya, post your medics response to what is wrong with your spine !! Curious !! I will do the same !!
Not tryin to bust your balls. Im only going off the information at hand. 140 lbs is a lot of weight for your size. From that im guessing you do a lot of arm exercising and not enough back exercises. Im also guessing that your form isnt so great. If you cant do slow controled movements while curling (ie trying to swing the weight or arching your back) then youre going too heavy. If you have had previous back problems then you should really wear a brace during workouts that could stress your lower back from here on out. If your lucky you might just have a pinched nerve. i had a friend who had a similar problem and thats what it ended up being. I suggest you see a chiropracter as soon as your can. One that does x-rays and can monitor the nerve impulses in your back to see where you have restrictions.

762mm

762mm

Awards
Hey thanks for replying Frequency!!

No ball busting taken. I had done some research, and from talking to my medic, then my ortho medic. You are absolutely right. I was using poor form, not enough back strengthening exercising, nor enough ab strengthening. A very dumb rookie mistake I was making. Since then I am completely recovered and my back is ok to start lifting again. I will perform lifting in a much wiser manner, and I have a weight belt on order!

I am proud to no longer have my spinal issues like in the past, and I think this was a good eye opener as to what could happen when things are done improperly!!

Take care and stay good,
Good Day!

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Well my hips have started to heal, I started using super cissus rx to treat it. I should have started doing that months ago, I used it when I messed up my shoulder, and it worked great then. I also, like you, started doing more lower back and ab strengthening exercises. Take care as well, and good luck in your weight lifting endeavours.

Cyplex

Awards
I had the same problem with pain in my hips. I went to the chiropractor, got a quick adjustment and I was fine after that.

The easiest way to tell is if you lie down flat on you back and see if one leg is longer than the other.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
OK I will bite, what if one leg is longer than the other? Does the chiropractor get them to be same length again. As for the pain you had in your hips, did they hurt when you poke them with your finger, or hurt when you lie and turn your feet a certain way?

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
I have this really bad pain in my hips. I think got my hips messed up from doing very heavy leg presses, honestly can't remember. All I know is they hurt really bad, and if I poke them, they are very tender. This has been going on for months, and I kept thinking it will go away with time and rest. Anyone experienced anything like this, and how did you recover from it. Even doing simple exercises like body squats make them hurt like a mofo. If I stand and lean to the side, they hurt.
Do you use a foam roller? i have incorporated these into my squat days and deadlift days and whenever else i can do them and they help tremendously to ease the pain and also reduce DOMS. this combined with prehab drills before lifting, stretching after and ice packs and i'm 90% pain free and busting PR's every workout

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Oh wow, I will try that. How do you apply the foam roller, and can you recommend some of the rehab drills?

Richard321

Awards
You can try hip exercises that will help you to increase blood flow to the hip joint. These exercises are Hip Extension, Hip Abduction, Standing Knee Raise, Straight Leg Raise, and Wall Side. You can use these exercises as warm up to prevent injury when doing other physical activities.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
Do you do barbell shrugs? I have found that EVERY time, for whatever reason, Barbell shrugs will literally paralyze me in pain from the waist down for the next few days. Then again, I have SERIOUS issues with my hips. After I got out of the Air Force (I was a heavy aircraft mechanic/"Crew Chief"), and after 2 complete hip overhaul surgeries, I discovered there are just some things I cannot do anymore. I cannot run, do barbell shrugs (though Cable Shrugs are just fine), squat, or deadlift (but somehow leg-press is fine). If you do go to the doctor, prepare for several years worth of going around the pole. I've been playing this game for 4 years, living on Oxycontin. The best they're gonna do is check you for Piriformis Syndrome, check for FAI, MRI w/ Contrast to look for Labral tears, and possibly an arthroscopic investigation to look around inside your hip to see what's going on. They may even give you a Brain MRI to see if the pain is all in your head (thanks Military Docs)!

Here's one thing you can do to really get an idea of the possibility of a structural problem: When you jump straight up, look at your feet when you land. What kind of angle do your feet form with an imaginary line extending straight from your legs away from your body? People that have a large degree of femoral retroversion tend to have a great deal of stress put on their hip sockets, as well as the labrum (which is a suction cup of thousands of nerves in the hips that form a connection with the ball of your femur). The reason I ask is because a lot of exercises say to have your feet pointed forward, but that doesn't take into account someone with a high degree of femoral retroversion. For me, I have to have my feet at a 45 degree angle, because AT THE FEMUR/Hip, my leg is straight ahead (just like a normal person with their feet pointed forward). Had I pointed my feet forward, I would be destroying my hips, which would cause a great deal of pain, and probably another torn labrum. Just a thought.