long limbs vs short limbs

risktaker

Awards
Guys, is it harder to go all the way down on certain lifts squats and bench press for the lomb limb person with long legs and long arms because I do noticed that I can't go all the way down on bench.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dude, you're 5'9". Hate to break it to yah, but you don't have long arms or legs.

But yes, tall people do have a disadvantage on certain lifts - i.e. a further distance to move the bar on squats or bench, and greater torque on any joint moving as a lever. That's still no excuse for improper form or ROM.

permanabol

Awards
The reason you can't go all the way down on bench is probably because your form ****ing sucks or your doing to much weight that you feel your going to get crushed.
excuse the bluntness

DB21

DB21

Awards
I'm almost 5'9 and I have no problem doing any lifts.

I actually have longer arms for my size so I find bench and stuff to be easy.

Just check your form, if you do close grip, try long grip... and the other way around.

EustisPanther

EustisPanther

Awards
  • Established
Do have shoulder or elbow problems ? I'm almost 6'3" and I do fine on bench but, I do have trouble with my knees when I squat. But that's mostly bc I'm a puss* when it comes to squats lol..

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Dude, you're 5'9". Hate to break it to yah, but you don't have long arms or legs.

But yes, tall people do have a disadvantage on certain lifts - i.e. a further distance to move the bar on squats or bench, and greater torque on any joint moving as a lever. That's still no excuse for improper form or ROM.
+1

When I do pull-ups, I feel like I have to pull forever.

Gaxiola

Banned
Awards
"Guys, is it harder to go all the way down on certain lifts squats and bench press for the lomb limb person with long legs and long arms because I do noticed that I can't go all the way down on bench"

you are probably using to much weight.
the less you have to move the weight the easier it is. when those big powerlifters bench they move the bar a couple inches.
the only lift i can think of where long arms would be the advantage is the deadlift.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I'm 6'3 and although my lifts are decent ( I think anyway :D ), them short stocky fuchs out lift me all day long, even though I have more noticeable muscle mass.

Just squeeze your shoulder blades together, inhale deeply and hold when you start to push up, and push with your legs as well.

Also try a wider or narrower grip, elbows flared out or in more, and see if that helps. Oh, and do it with less weight.

On squats I can break paralell, but not by much.