Time off from the gym

  1. Time off from the gym


    I've been training for about 3 years now and usually go three months, take 4 days off and get back at it, recently i'm on about 9 months straight without more than 2 days off in a row...i've been wanting to take some time off as i've been feeling sore alitte longer, bcaa's has really helped but even on days when i feel like my workout wasn't ground breaking, i'm sore for a few days, for example chest on monday and i'm still sore on thursday,

    my question is how long off is to long? i didn't train sunday because saturday was my buddy's b-day and it was a long night, monday i spent the whole day in the city and got back late, and then even though i was dead tired i slept for like 3 hours last night, so i'm thinking now is about time to take the time off....so today would be day 3...i was thinking 5 or 6 days?

    usually after the 4 days off i feel refreshed and ready to get back at it...but this is longer than i usually wait


  2. Take a few more days off. Properly carb load and hit it hard when you get back. I took a week straight off in January doing just this, also made a mental game plan and was worth the re-coop. I know you get edgy and want to lift because we're trained in this manner to go frequently but this now is training of your mind, a valuable lesson of patience, which will be rewarded with the healing of your body, mind and soul. Enjoy the free time. I got alot of laundry done in those days off. Think of what you could accomplish?

  3. Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    Take a few more days off. Properly carb load and hit it hard when you get back. I took a week straight off in January doing just this, also made a mental game plan and was worth the re-coop. I know you get edgy and want to lift because we're trained in this manner to go frequently but this now is training of your mind, a valuable lesson of patience, which will be rewarded with the healing of your body, mind and soul. Enjoy the free time. I got alot of laundry done in those days off. Think of what you could accomplish?
    Great advice! I couldn't agree more with this statement.
    •   
       


  4. yeah i might just take until next monday off and start fresh, it's getting nice in the northeast, so i might just walk a few times this week, no muscle breakdown, and just to stay active, staying away from the gym is really tough, even after 2 days i feel like i haven't been there in awhile and i have to get back

    i believe in the rest is needed aspect of things, especially once it becomes a lifestyle because theres no question if ur going to go back or not like some ppl mention

    i've also seen ppl say not to take any time off just ur normal rest days

  5. I usually take 5 days off every 3 months or so or whenever I'm feeling burned out. Everytime I come back stronger physically and mentally. The hardest thing for me is after a few days of not hitting the gym i'll have so much extra energy I can barely put myself to sleep. Make sure on your days off your resting your muscles and getting good sleep or else you wouldn't reap all the benefits from the extra rest.

  6. One thing with experience is you will learn to listen to your body. Your CNS will speak to you when it needs recovery. But if you don't take the break, you'll never know the difference. My recommendation is to take 1-2 weeks off (serious). You'll come back stronger and more energized and you're going to be surprised.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Kookahdoo View Post
    One thing with experience is you will learn to listen to your body. Your CNS will speak to you when it needs recovery. But if you don't take the break, you'll never know the difference. My recommendation is to take 1-2 weeks off (serious). You'll come back stronger and more energized and you're going to be surprised.
    I agree... This is probably not the same type of scenario, but I was off for about a month and a half due to surgery and I had awesome gains when I finally started training again.

    Granted I still tried to eat clean while I was recovering, but I really think the time off did me some good. You also start to get that mentality back to start lifting again I think thats what really helps you break through those plateaus.

  8. i agree with everyone, thanks guy, i like having the 4 days off when i used to take those days off, a week should be really beneficial, like i said i hate staying away from the gym, the days off weren't because of lack of motivation or anything, basically for recovery because i feel like i'd stay sore a few days longer than usual, the last few weeks by the time friday rolled around, my chest was sore, back was sore, triceps sore, legs in major pain (but thats usual)...already can't wait to get back but i'm working on a new routine now that we're getting closer to the summer

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    staying away from the gym is really tough
    Amen to that.

    Don't be afraid to take a week off every few months. Just make sure you're eating right. You need that rest so you can come back a beast.

  10. Best way to do this is in a Blast/Cruise mentality 6-8 weeks Blasting, then 10- 14 days cruising. Cruising meaning taking it easy still lift heavy but, dont go to failure or over exhaust yourself. Personally, I do an 11 day cruise starting with 4 days off so I start on a Thursday so that my routine start back on monday again. I have never lost anything strength or size while doing this

  11. I'll take a week off every month and not feel too bad, so long as my numbers don't drop too much....which the very rarely do.

    Usually work schedules, boredom, or house/parental responsibilites keep me away from a regular set routine anyway.

    I don't worry too much, unless its mid-AAS cycle.....then I get mad
    True story:

    I give a f**K!!

  12. I personally dont think there is anything wrong with taking a week off after a couple months of training hard. Thats actually how alot of people make gains. Your just tearing your muscles in the gym, your gains come from your recovery period and what you put in your body during that time.

    Most people change workout routines every eight weeks or so for muscle confusion. After those eight weeks are up is good time to take that break. Hope this helps man.

  13. yes everyone advice helps, like i said i usually or atleast i used to take 4 days off every 3 months, i get 3 month memberships at the gym (student rate) even thouh i graduated college in 07 haha...but recently i don't remember what day it runs out so i go in the middle of the week and their like ur membership is out so when it's in the middle of the week i'm like ahh screw it renew the membership and keep going because i'm not a fan of wasting money taking time off, but this tim i couldn't help it, it's been about 9 months, felt worn down...did some research to see what ppl usually take off some ppl were 4 days, some 2 weeks, and some ppl said never so i decided i'd ask on here and see what ppl had to say

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    yes everyone advice helps, like i said i usually or atleast i used to take 4 days off every 3 months, i get 3 month memberships at the gym (student rate) even thouh i graduated college in 07 haha...but recently i don't remember what day it runs out so i go in the middle of the week and their like ur membership is out so when it's in the middle of the week i'm like ahh screw it renew the membership and keep going because i'm not a fan of wasting money taking time off, but this tim i couldn't help it, it's been about 9 months, felt worn down...did some research to see what ppl usually take off some ppl were 4 days, some 2 weeks, and some ppl said never so i decided i'd ask on here and see what ppl had to say
    well man, everybody is different. You take off however long your body needs. if you are still hurting, sore or tired in a week or so, then you might want to get something checked out. but I highly doubt you will lose anything or much at all. there is no correct time to take off unless you are in a particular program that calls for it.

  15. i usually take a week off in jan and june

  16. Quote Originally Posted by ambulldog View Post
    i usually take a week off in jan and june
    Same with me, but a tad more often. I take a full week off every 3 to 4 months
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. First time I've cried in a long time today
    By CoorsLight126 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-17-2011, 02:16 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 09:12 AM
  3. Long time listener, first time caller.
    By SirWatts in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 08:50 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Log in
Log in