New guy...care to help out??

Pokey

Awards
Hey everyone. I came across this place on a random google search looking for supplement, routine, and meal advice and decided to check it out. So far, so good. Lots of info and seem to be good people.

Anyways, I'm 26, 5'11", 190, 18% body fat, and 56% water weight. Or so says my scale. I do smoke and I'm trying to quit. But I don't drink alcohol anymore. I also avoid soda, tea, and sugar filled drinks. I do drink orange juice and eat apples and bananas twice a day for snacks.

I've worked out before, but it's been about 5 years and it was while I was in Iraq. Not the best place to get in a great training program, but it worked pretty well for me for a while. I went from 155 to 185 in about 6 months and loved it. Then I got sick and dropped to 150 or so in about 2 weeks. It was a GI infection and ulcers from food over there. I've never been able to gain the mass back since then. I've just kinda gotten pudgy around the middle

I started going to a local gym on Thursday. It was one of my New Years resolutions to get back in shape, and get back to the way I was before. I've started watching what and when I eat and using a few supplements to help out.

I'm using Body Fortress whey protein for shakes after a workout, 2 scoops with 8oz 2% milk for 52 grams protein. I also use their whey protein shots for 26 grams. I take Six Star Creatine pills twice daily. And I'm looking for a pre workout energy booster still. I've started eating more protein rich foods and salads twice a day when available. I'm taking in about 2,000-2,300 calories a day and around 100 grams of protein daily.

I do about 30 minutes of cardio on a bike before weights, then another 20-30 minutes on a bike again. But I don't really know what all to do for a routine using weights. I'm meeting a trainer for an assessment tomorrow, but any ideas, suggestions, or advice from you more experienced people here would be greatly appreciated. I'd ideally like to drop to about 170-175 then build back up to 185 being able to add as much muscle as possible while staying legal and away form anything associated with a needle.

If I left anything out so you can help, lemme know. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help the newbie.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
Well first off 100 grams of protein a day is not enough. You should be aiming for like 200 grams a day. As for a routine I would be wary of what the trainer at the gym tells you, alot of them don't know anything about real strength training. I would highly recommend you get the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and follow the program he has outlined in the book. Whatever you do you should have a routine focused on heavy compound lifts, squats, deadlifts, bench press. Proper form is important though, and Starting Strength does an excellent job explaining the lifts in detail.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i agree with the above. starting strength (5x5) is a great starter program. up the protein to 200 or so grams is also great. 2300 calories is a bit light, and i'd keep it that way for now - i'd be more concerned about getting a bit toned up before embarking on a bulking routine. getting your compound lifts up to respectable numbers and shedding some body fat are your two primary goals at this point (at least in my opinion).

welcome to AM :)

Pokey

Awards
Thanks for the help. I do wanna get toned up and cut fat before I start to bulk up. I'm starting light and moving up to heavier weight as I go along. I'm still trying to build a routine, but I got some good advice today by asking around at the gym too.

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
I agree with rck. 100 gms of protein is not enough.