*Off topic: Just wondering what % of guys here that have put on significant/ a lot of muscle mass have sleep apnea?

john10960

Awards
Hey guys posting here since this seems to be the most active forum.
As topic states, yeah I’m just wondering if increased muscle mass contributes to sleep apnea?

thanks!!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Hey guys posting here since this seems to be the most active forum.
As topic states, yeah I’m just wondering if increased muscle mass contributes to sleep apnea?

thanks!!
Increased bodyweight increases the risk of sleep apena, don't matter if it's fat or muscle. That dosent mean adding muscle will cause sleep apena but it will increase the odds

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Increased bodyweight increases the risk of sleep apena, don't matter if it's fat or muscle. That dosent mean adding muscle will cause sleep apena but it will increase the odds
I know at D.O.T physical they ask sleep questions and do a neck measurement. Male can’t be over 17” and female over 16”. If so, they send you home w 2 monitors, one across chest and one up nose(I think) and you have to do a sleep study.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
As Smont said above, increased body-weight increases your chances of sleep apnea in general, but that doesn't mean that building a lot of muscle is going to cause it. In general, a higher muscle to fat ratio/lower body-fat % would most likely decrease your risk factors for it overall.

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What a coincidence, my sister just got diagnosed with Sleep Apnea last night and now I am looking at getting it checked, I can almost guarantee I do have it, I am always tired, snore, bit overweight atm (but still snored when fit) plus I have a deviated septum (which I know isnt related, but can make it worse)

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What a coincidence, my sister just got diagnosed with Sleep Apnea last night and now I am looking at getting it checked, I can almost guarantee I do have it, I am always tired, snore, bit overweight atm (but still snored when fit) plus I have a deviated septum (which I know isnt related, but can make it worse)
I know a lot of people that are diagnosed with it and use a cpap machine at night when they sleep.

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The Inspire surgery has been life-changing for a few people I know including my uncle. If you don't have insurance it is super expensive, but got it squared away with Medicaid

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've put on a lot of muscle over more than 2 decades, have a family history of sleep apnea and I don't have sleep apnea.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If your neck gets thick, fat, or your traps get big, that’s all going to weigh on your windpipe when it relaxes once you fall asleep. To say nothing of nasal/sinus impediments as someone mentioned about their deviated septum.

Sleep apnea is ridiculously common in lifters. Virtually every player in the NFL has one. They are ubiquitous with the heavyweight classes of strongman and powerlifting. It’s not uncommon for 181lb class powerlifters even to have sleep apnea.

I haven’t been able to sleep on my back without snoring for many years. Even when I got down to 220 this March, I still could not sleep on my back & my neck still measured close to 18” (despite being a longer neck, too). Sleeping on my back is so much more comfortable than my stomach, but whenever I try it I feel like I didn’t sleep the next day (even though my spine/hips feel awesome).

I’m pulling the trigger this year. I’m tired of leaving such huge recovery gains on the table.