HST: Hypertrophy Specific Training

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

Now...some of you may have tried this in the past...I just started this yesterday...I read through it all and I must say..it is impressive and makes a lot of sense.

This training will be great for me...I just have that kind of "feeling"

Although the Full-body work-out three times per week seemed a daunting task at first, after my first work-out...it really was not all that bad...I shall continue this program through the next quarter of school and then switch back over to program outlined in Arnold's Encyclopedia.

It WILL be cool :cool:

LG. :cool:

wardog

Awards
  • Established
Good luck with it..the principles seem sound, and yet I tried it for 6 weeks and didnt get a damn thing out of it. So, for myself, it just doesnt seem to work

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
I did my first workout yesterday, and so far it has made me hungry as heck. The frequency of the training is which seems so sound compared to regular routines. Regular routines are based on strength training type frequency, and there has never really been an alterior frequency like HST has until now.

DarCSA

Awards
Do you know of any comparisons of this style of training compared with GVT? I was wondering if there is any study out on how much there might be a greater muscle mass build up by either style of training. I am just looking let me know if you have any links.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Dar,

I have not been able to find any articles comparing HST to GVT...so I guess you will have to try them both out for yourself ;)

LG. :cool:

TMack40

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Good luck with it LG. I gave it a try a little while ago and it added big pounds to all my lifts. It says its designed for hypertrophy which i got as well and not for strength, but it did both for me. Its a real good change up anyway from standard methods of training. After your hst cycle your going to notice even better gains when you go back to your regular style. Be good.

Ibanez

Awards
Bump.

Anyone else have any experience with HST? I'm going to try it.

IronMike

Awards
I'm doing my first HST cycle right now first day on the 5's was yesterday I've gained weight and size I'm pleased with the results so far.

Wardog what was your routine like you're the first person I've read that said they didn't get anything out of HST.

Ibanez

Awards

Jeff Rippe

Awards
I am in the first week of my SECOND HST cycle.  I have to tell you, I was very skeptical at first - especially since the volume seems so low.  But at the end of 8 weeks I was setting new PRs and looked a lot better too.  I used a very mild PH (1-Test/4-AD) starting at week 5 and some Hydroxycut starting at week 7.  Overall I ended up 5 pounds heavier yet had a 2-3% reduction in BF%.  Nice!

For this second cycle I have increased all my poundages by up to10%.  If it's one thing I've learned in 25 years of lifting is that slow, solid gains are FAR better than rapid, sometimes fat, and injury-prone gains (which is the way I've trained for years - hot and cold).

So, I guess I like the HST method.  I think the main factor for me is the strict, planned schedule.  One word of advice - STICK TO YOUR PLAN.  If it's too easy increase it slightly NEXT time.  I got all excited and carried away with supersets etc. in weeks 6&7 and overtrained BIG time (got sick too for week 8).  I could feel the fatigue starting to build but I pushed on nevertheless - BAD move!  STICK TO THE PLAN!  (The exception here would be if the weights turn out to be too heavy then you need to back off a bit).

Gethuge

Gethuge

Awards
  • Established
Okay i know this thread is old but I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents anyways:

1) HST is awesome for hypertrophy

2) I don't end the cycles quite like Bryan recommends. At the end of the cycle I switch to two days per week using the same division of exercises as when I'm on my HST cycle. At this point I switch to 3x2 rest pause training. I pick a weight that I could probably get 3 reps with but do 2 reps, 30 sec pause, 2 more reps, 30 sec pause and then 2 more reps. This usually allows me to continue the cycle for about 3 extra weeks of weight increments and I usually gain some appreciable body weight in those last few weeks. After this I take a week off and then work back into my next cycle. Just something for you guys to toy with in the future.

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
When it says chins (wide, narrow) does that mean you do one set with a wide grip and one set with a narrow grip? Also, for those of you that do HST, are there any exercises that yall substitute for the ones listed. I have been reading up on this and would like to try and but I want to make sure I get the most out of it I can so your help would be appreciated.

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
Another thing, about how long do your HST workouts last?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Another thing, about how long do your HST workouts last?
About an hour, no more, is the reccomended time frame. It's been discussed in the HST forums, you really should go there 'cause it's a very, very valuable resource and it's free. What Haycock has done is basically explained the science behind linear periodization and modified it a bit by introducing evidence that dictates a specific frequency for training sessions and evidence for Strategic Deconditioning, or basically taking a damn break, and how long that should last.

For me the Deconditioning is best thing I took from HST. Right now I'm just dieting and trying to lose fat, so I'm not following the HST routine of increasing weight and all. However I'm still using SD every 6-8 weeks, and my workouts are way more effective for it it seems. Luckily I'm still fat enough to be able to add some muscle while losing fat.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
About an hour, no more, is the reccomended time frame. It's been discussed in the HST forums, you really should go there 'cause it's a very, very valuable resource and it's free. What Haycock has done is basically explained the science behind linear periodization and modified it a bit by introducing evidence that dictates a specific frequency for training sessions and evidence for Strategic Deconditioning, or basically taking a damn break, and how long that should last.

For me the Deconditioning is best thing I took from HST. Right now I'm just dieting and trying to lose fat, so I'm not following the HST routine of increasing weight and all. However I'm still using SD every 6-8 weeks, and my workouts are way more effective for it it seems. Luckily I'm still fat enough to be able to add some muscle while losing fat.
Yeah Haycock's forum is great, it is truly based on scientific principles ;) HST is working great for me because...well I'm doing it right and it simply works, the facts are there!!

My workouts take anywhere from 45-60 minutes, but never longer than 1 hour. I used some of the typical exercises but you can definitely substitute, just stick to the general principles of HST and you'll do well (progressive resistance, etc) :)

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
Another benefit of HST is that it will save me money on supps that you have to take mroe of on workout days or on supps you only take pre workout since I will only be working out 3 days a week...:D