Phospholipids and sports performance

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Here is a quick abstract of some info particularly interesting to me in regards to the Phosphatidylserine (PS). I originally was researching its benefits regarding cortisol reduction however there is some debate in this regard with bovine vs soy derived PS (Bovine PS is no longer available in the U.S.).

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-articles/57753-phosphatidylserine.html

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/10745-phosphatidylserine.html

I noticed there seem to be quite a few other benefits to PS and in particular the recovery from muscle soreness or the prevention of muscle soreness.

Anyway here is the link to the full article (great read btw):

Phospholipids and sports performance

Finally, does anyone wanna help me bug NP to get this stuff in bulk? I'd like to try it but 800mg's/day (based off the studies performed) would likely be somewhat expensive just purchasing the NOW brand they have available.

1: J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2007 Jul 25;4(1):5.Click here to read Click here to read Links
Phospholipids and sports performance.
Jäger R, Purpura M, Kingsley M.

Increnovo LLC, 2138 E Lafayette Pl, Milwaukee, WI 53202, USA. [email protected].

ABSTRACT: Phospholipids are essential components of all biological membranes. Phosphatidylcholine (PC) and Phosphatidylserine (PS) are Phosphatidyl-phospholipids that are required for normal cellular structure and function. The participation in physical activity often challenges a variety of physiological systems; consequently, the ability to maintain normal cellular function during activity can determine sporting performance. The participation in prolonged intense exercise has been shown to reduce circulatory choline concentrations in some individuals. As choline is a pre-cursor to the neurotransmitter Acetylcholine, this finding has encouraged researchers to investigate the hypothesis that supplementation with PC (or choline salts) could enhance sporting performance. Although the available data that evaluates the effects of PC supplementation on performance are equivocal, acute oral supplementation with PC (~0.2 g PC per kg body mass) has been demonstrated to improve performance in a variety of sporting activities where exercise has depleted circulatory choline concentrations. Short term oral supplementation with soy-derived PS (S-PS) has been reported to attenuate circulating cortisol concentrations, improve perceived well-being, and reduce perceived muscle soreness after exercise. More recently, short term oral supplementation (750 mg per day of S-PS for 10 days) has been demonstrated to improve exercise capacity during high intensity cycling and tended to increase performance during intermittent running. Although more research is warranted to determine minimum dietary Phospholipid requirements for optimal sporting performance, these findings suggest that some participants might benefit from dietary interventions that increase the intakes of PC and PS.

PMID: 17908342 [PubMed - in process]

ej215584

ej215584

Awards
i was read about PS doing having those same effects in MF mag. i went to my local health food store to buy some and the nutritionist looked at me like i was crazy when i said how much i needed /daily . and hell ya it would be expensive.:fool2:

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i was read about PS doing having those same effects in MF mag. i went to my local health food store to buy some and the nutritionist looked at me like i was crazy when i said how much i needed /daily . and hell ya it would be expensive.:fool2:
Yeah, the study showed a positive response after just 10 days use. It would be nice to throw in around those heavy training weeks vs just supplementing it all the time even.

ej215584

ej215584

Awards
how much was the NOW brand going for the cheapest at the store i went to was JARROW and it was almost thirty bones

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You could always supplement with lecithin granules.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You can get 100g of the 50% PS for about $90 but I have no idea how long that lasts

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established

First Order Supplement Facts
Serving Size1Scoop
Servings Per Container50
Amount Per Serving
Calories 10
Total Carbohydrates 0g
Sugars 0g
Sodium 0mg
Potassium 0mg
Proprietary Blend 2260mg
Beta-Alanine, Phosphatidylserine (SerinAid™), Alpha-GPC (Alpha Glycerylphosphorylcholine), Rhodiola Rosea, Ginko Biloba
First Order Other Ingredients
Natural Flavors, Citric Acid, Calcium Silicate, Sucralose, FD&C Red #40

First Order Suggested Use
As a dietary supplement, consume 1 scoop before and/or during exercise, dissolved in 4-6oz of water, take additional scoop post exercise.
I suppose this formula looks more solid than I previously thought. They have samples available on their website too. I'll post some info. when I get mine in:twisted: .

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established

I suppose this formula looks more solid than I previously thought. They have samples available on their website too. I'll post some info. when I get mine in:twisted: .
Egh, that is why I hate "proprietary" blends. Who knows how much PS, BA is in that. My understanding also is that 4g's of BA/day would be needed to improve carnosine levels.

Let us know how that works. Has good stuff in it, I just wonder how much of each.

ej215584

ej215584

Awards
deffinately keep us posted on that. i dont like the proprietary blends either . you have no idea how much of what is goin in you. not cool!!

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Giant has a PS product with 400mg PS/serving for $29 (30 servings).

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Giant has a PS product with 400mg PS/serving for $29 (30 servings).
That would be about a 15 day supply if you were dosing it at the 800mg's used in the studies. Dang I need to find more $ for supps. :whiner:

Also I emailed Bodywell Nutrition to see how much PS and BA is in one serving...maybe they will tell me (doubt it).

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Serinaid is the PS in First order. They do claim on their website that it reduces cortisol (not sure if I can link this one so here is the write up, you have to email them for the studies/references):

SCIENCE SUMMARY. . .

SerinAid® PhosphatidylSerine (PS) is a phospholipid derived from soy lecithin and is one of the major structural components in many biological membranes. Structurally, PS consists of a glycerophosphate
skeleton linked to two fatty acid molecules and the amino acid L-serine, which is commonly found in
very small quantities in many plant and animal based foods.

SerinAid® PhosphatidylSerine (PS)

Assists proteins that manage membrane functions, assists the entry of nutrients into cells and the exit of harmful, stress-related waste products out of cells, and is involved in transmission of molecular messages from cell to cell.

Benefits of SerinAid® PhosphatidylSerine (PS) include

improvement in key brain
functions, prevention of memory loss, and
reduction of elevated cortisol levels.

MENTAL AGING AND PERFORMANCE...

All of us are concerned about the possibility of losing our cognitive abilities as we age. This is a very serious concern, as scientific research has shown that as we age, we begin to experience a loss in our mental performance—memory, learning, concentration, and focus—which can markedly impact our quality of life and even our productivity.

Unfortunately, and quite simply, this loss of cognitive ability is a part of the normal aging process, and it can in fact be accelerated by certain negative lifestyle practices.

THE SCIENCE BEHIND PHOSPHATIDYLSERINE ( P S ) . .

The good news is that scientific research and clinical investigations have shown that phosphatidylserine, or PS, a naturally occurring soy-derived phospholipid, plays a critical role in maintaining optimal
mental performance. PS is proven efficacious, natural, extremely well tolerated, and of course, is safe to use everyday. That is why PS has become such a highly recognized and highly respected mental performance supplement, since its launch in the early 1990s.

PS — A KEY NUTRIENT FOR LIFE . . .

Our generation now has the potential to live easily into the ninth and even tenth decades of age, due to significant advances in both health intervention and nutrition science, which has uncovered a number of novel nutrients involved in cognitive functions. PS is in fact one of those key nutrients. Now, more than ever, it is utterly important to care for your body’s most important asset —your mind.

PS —SERINAID® IS THE ANSWER…

Fortunately, there is an answer to the challenges of aging and the accompanying loss in mental performance that can become noticeable even at early ages. SerinAid® PhosphatidylSerine (PS) is the science proven and highly trusted name in PS. Ask for it by name, and be assured that you are using the original PS that millions of people have used regularly for over 10 years to support their own mental
performance.

PS —SERINAID® AND CORTISOL . . .

Elevated levels of cortisol, a catabolic stress hormone released by the body when we are subjected to physical and emotional stress, can ravage muscle tissue by breaking down muscle protein into amino acids, which are then converted to glucose in the liver and used as a fuel source during times of stress. With regular dietary supplementation using SerinAid® PhosphatidylSerine (PS), elevated cortisol levels can be dramatically reduced, and the functions of both cognition and the immune system can be optimized.

PS —WELL-DOCUMENTED RESEARCH...

PS is extremely well documented, and has been researched in more than 60 human clinical trials over a period of more than 20 years in research studies throughout the world. More than twenty placebo controlled clinical trials have consistently proven that PS has considerable value as a dietary supplement, and that the normal diet provides an insufficient amount of PS. It has been shown that the addition of supplemental PS contributes to the mainte- FOR YOUTHFUL MENTAL PERFORMANCE nance and improvement of several brain functions. Through various physiological pathways, PS then becomes available as an important compound for cell turnover, and through the production of short halflife metabolites, PS powerfully contributes to the fine-tuning of physiological well being.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That would be about a 15 day supply if you were dosing it at the 800mg's used in the studies. Dang I need to find more $ for supps. :whiner:

Also I emailed Bodywell Nutrition to see how much PS and BA is in one serving...maybe they will tell me (doubt it).
What about the bulk PS? Just run 2g of the 50% and 100g will last 50 days... still not cheap but if you did 1.6g (to get the 800mg in the studies) then it would easily last 2 months for $45 a month...

Jove

Awards
This is from Dinoii over at the LB forum. Hopefully he won't mind my quoting him:

"Most research (inclusive of the cortisol-inhibiting lot) has been conducted with PS derived from bovine (cow) brain tissue. Due to concerns about the possibility of humans contracting infectious diseases (most notably a prion structure known as Creutzfeld-Jakob or what you may have commonly referred to in the various news stories plaguing our television sets years ago as “mad cow” disease), bovine PS is NOT available in the United States!

PROBLEM: The soy-derived and bovine-derived PS are NOT structurally identical!

Doctors and researchers (myself included) have debated whether the structural differences could be important, but so far only a FEW not so well-controlled trials have studied the effects of soy-based PS with not-so-stellar results. Preliminary animal research shows that the soy-derived PS is suggested to have effects on brain function similar to effects from the bovine-source, though anti-cortisol suggestion has not been explored and there is trouble from the funding of these said studies. It makes me further call this into question when looking at the dearth of human data which suggests quite the contrary.

An isolated Unpublished double-blind human study used soy-derived PS in an evaluation of memory and mood benefits in non-demented, non-depressed elderly people with impaired memories and accompanying depression. In this 3-month study, 300mg per day of PS was NOT significantly more effective than placebo (whereas the bovine-sourced was). In an additional double-blind study, soy-derived PS was administered in the amount of 300-600mg per day for 12 weeks to people with age-related memory impairment. Compared with placebo, soy-derived PS had NO EFFECT on memory or on other measures of cognitive function (whereas the bovine-derived version DID). While additional research obviously needs to be done, currently available evidence suggests that soy-derived PS is NOT an effective treatment in humans for age-related cognitive decline. The dearth or non-existent research with soy-derived on cortisol control concerns me at the expense of the ingredient.Most research (inclusive of the cortisol-inhibiting lot) has been conducted with PS derived from bovine (cow) brain tissue. Due to concerns about the possibility of humans contracting infectious diseases (most notably a prion structure known as Creutzfeld-Jakob or what you may have commonly referred to in the various news stories plaguing our television sets years ago as “mad cow” disease), bovine PS is NOT available in the United States!

PROBLEM: The soy-derived and bovine-derived PS are NOT structurally identical!

Doctors and researchers (myself included) have debated whether the structural differences could be important, but so far only a FEW not so well-controlled trials have studied the effects of soy-based PS with not-so-stellar results. Preliminary animal research shows that the soy-derived PS is suggested to have effects on brain function similar to effects from the bovine-source, though anti-cortisol suggestion has not been explored and there is trouble from the funding of these said studies. It makes me further call this into question when looking at the dearth of human data which suggests quite the contrary.

An isolated Unpublished double-blind human study used soy-derived PS in an evaluation of memory and mood benefits in non-demented, non-depressed elderly people with impaired memories and accompanying depression. In this 3-month study, 300mg per day of PS was NOT significantly more effective than placebo (whereas the bovine-sourced was). In an additional double-blind study, soy-derived PS was administered in the amount of 300-600mg per day for 12 weeks to people with age-related memory impairment. Compared with placebo, soy-derived PS had NO EFFECT on memory or on other measures of cognitive function (whereas the bovine-derived version DID). While additional research obviously needs to be done, currently available evidence suggests that soy-derived PS is NOT an effective treatment in humans for age-related cognitive decline. The dearth or non-existent research with soy-derived on cortisol control concerns me at the expense of the ingredient."

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What about the bulk PS? Just run 2g of the 50% and 100g will last 50 days... still not cheap but if you did 1.6g (to get the 800mg in the studies) then it would easily last 2 months for $45 a month...
Yeah, in reality that is not too bad. This is something I may use only during heavy training cycles. Strictly to see if it would help reduce DOMS, and any other benefits would be welcomed.

PC and PS are both components of lecithin granules.
Im not really sure this would be any more cost effective. I think something like 1g of granules only has 10mg's of PS in it....so you would need to consume a lot serving wise to reach 800mg's/day. Although it does also contain PC which would be another benefit. Hmmm....

This is from Dinoii over at...

Yeah, I am "Travis" on that forum as well so I am aware of his response. He was strictly responding to my question regarding its cortisol benefits. I am awaiting his response regarding the other benefits of PS.

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Update: Received an email back from bodywell. They are sending samples, however they would not tell me how much PS is in their patented proprietary blend. :sad:

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Update: Received an email back from bodywell. They are sending samples, however they would not tell me how much PS is in their patented proprietary blend. :sad:
Another update (if anyone cares), but I already got the samples from Bodywell Nutrition. And they hooked me up! Sent me 30 sample packets (10 fruit punch, 10 orange, 10 lemonade). The suggestion is to take this pre/during workout. Then also pwo. So depending on how I dose this I should have at least a 15 day supply (assuming i do both during and pwo).

They also sent me a free FIRST ORDER t-shirt which was cool.

I do have a couple of problems with this supp:

1. The proprietary blend is only 2260mg's. Based on studies it would seem somewhere between 2-4g's of Beta Alanine is needed for optimal performance benefits. Assuming there is 2g's of BA in the product then it leads me to...

2. Phosphatidylserine. 800mg's is the effective dosage based on the above studies. Again not really room in the proprietary blend for this and BA. Not to mention the other actives in the supp.

Nonetheless I am more than likely going to give this supp a fair run and maybe even log it. I have to finish my AEN log (in my sig first) however.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You could always supplement with lecithin granules.
Yup- good post- 10g of Lecithin contains about 2 g's of PC....

BigStew

BigStew

Awards
Another update (if anyone cares), but I already got the samples from Bodywell Nutrition. And they hooked me up! Sent me 30 sample packets (10 fruit punch, 10 orange, 10 lemonade). The suggestion is to take this pre/during workout. Then also pwo. So depending on how I dose this I should have at least a 15 day supply (assuming i do both during and pwo).

They also sent me a free FIRST ORDER t-shirt which was cool.

I do have a couple of problems with this supp:

1. The proprietary blend is only 2260mg's. Based on studies it would seem somewhere between 2-4g's of Beta Alanine is needed for optimal performance benefits. Assuming there is 2g's of BA in the product then it leads me to...

2. Phosphatidylserine. 800mg's is the effective dosage based on the above studies. Again not really room in the proprietary blend for this and BA. Not to mention the other actives in the supp.

Nonetheless I am more than likely going to give this supp a fair run and maybe even log it. I have to finish my AEN log (in my sig first) however.
Give First Order a Go before you make any judgement I promise you will be pleasantly surprised

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
We have some of the most affordable PS powder here > EndoAmp.

Your getting 30 servings of 800mg of PS, plus about 150mg of PC for $48.

-Pp

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
We have some of the most affordable PS powder here > EndoAmp.

Your getting 30 servings of 800mg of PS, plus about 150mg of PC for $48.

-Pp
Just curious, but do you have data showing efficacy of the soy-based PS? Is yours soy-based? I've got it and I can review what I notice as far as cort control... Anything you've got would be helpful!

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Just curious, but do you have data showing efficacy of the soy-based PS? Is yours soy-based? I've got it and I can review what I notice as far as cort control... Anything you've got would be helpful!
Yes, ours is soy based, and most all of the references on our site are with the soy-based PS.

-Pp