GABA + Triptophan + 5-HTP

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Some of you may have read my other posts about a tough situation I've been going through, and will be continuing to go through for some time. This has left me listless and depressed, lacking self-confidence and self-respect, etc. (and even though I wasn't the cause of another's decision(s) which created the situation - I'm still taking a huge emotional hit - I'm hoping that will change as I work through this).

I know supplements can only do so much - and I've got a lot of emotional work and grieving to do regardless of whatever good comes from supplements- yet I am trying to get some relief, maybe take the edge off, from the mental anguish and blues.

I'll be using GABA + Triptophan + 5-HTP in the evenings, since that is the time most of the emotional collapse takes place.

Can anyone offer starting dosage recommendations? After losing almost 30 lbs (from this), I now weigh in at a svelte 168 lbs.

So, brothers (sisters, too) - any dosage ideas?

Brother

Brother

Awards
I was using about 5000mg of GABA with 100mg of 5HTP and Valerian root to get some deep sleep. I recently started taking hypertest and my mood seems to be really up and sleep is great too(ZMA in Hypertest). I can tell you GABA helped with my sleep. Never used Triptophan. I think the GABA helped with some stress I wa having as well. Its helpful with ADD and ADHD I've read. Helps reduce "brain chatter" neurotrpic

[edit] Pharmacology
Drugs that act as agonists of GABA receptors (known as GABA analogues or GABAergic drugs) or increase the available amount of GABA typically have relaxing, anti-anxiety and anti-convulsive effects. Many of the substances below are known to cause anterograde amnesia and retrograde amnesia.

GABA has been purported to increase the amount of the Human Growth Hormone. The results of those studies have been seldom replicated and have recently been in question since it is unknown if GABA can pass the blood-brain barrier.

I used Neurobalance because of the blood brain barrier as well. I liked it but its a little pricey. Good luck.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you might want to pick up 1-carboxy bulk, from nutraplanet as a USP product I think it is. very sweet as far as relaxation goes.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thanks guys. I am going to start off like this:

Powerfull 1320 mg @ bedtime
5-HTP 100 mg @ bedtime
Triptophan 500 mg @ bedtime
ZMA 3 caps @ bedtime
GABA 500mg 2 hours prior to bed (I've been told to build up over time)

Al Shades

Al Shades

Awards
What's the point of taking both 5-htp and Trypto at once? They are the same thing in different forms...

My own bedtime stack will be similar to this. Also includes AAKG/OAKG and B5.
GABA/Phenibut/Theanine are related compounds, like 5htp/Ltrypto, so you should pick one of them and take it seperately.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
phenibut is a MAJOR help when im feeling down. if you havent tried it or are not already using it i highly recommend it

nelix

Awards
  • Established
Phenibut + GABA
1carboxy bulk from nutraplaent
ZMT nutracaps
Skip the 5htp.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
Re: GABA 500mg 2 hours prior to bed

Beau,
If you feel it’s safer to start a 500mg, then do so. But I don’t think you’re going to feel much until you get to at least 3 grams because only a very small percent gets thru the blood/brain barrier. It doesn’t do much for me until about 6 grams.

DB

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
Some of you may have read my other posts about a tough situation I've been going through, and will be continuing to go through for some time. This has left me listless and depressed, lacking self-confidence and self-respect, etc. (and even though I wasn't the cause of another's decision(s) which created the situation - I'm still taking a huge emotional hit - I'm hoping that will change as I work through this).

I know supplements can only do so much - and I've got a lot of emotional work and grieving to do regardless of whatever good comes from supplements- yet I am trying to get some relief, maybe take the edge off, from the mental anguish and blues.

I'll be using GABA + Triptophan + 5-HTP in the evenings, since that is the time most of the emotional collapse takes place.

Can anyone offer starting dosage recommendations? After losing almost 30 lbs (from this), I now weigh in at a svelte 168 lbs.

Its spelled tryptophan I just got done witha study in a researh lab to see if promotes breast cncer growth, still have tocompile the data.You do know that excess tryptophan gets converted to serotoin right?

Brother

Brother

Awards
I just started using Phenibut and I must say its the best thing Ive taken for deep sleep. Been having amazing dreams and sleeping through the night. I would highly recomend it but as most will tell you dont over do it. THe first night I took it I came close and the next day was very ...lets jsut say I felt like I was on a Zanex till about 3 the next afternoon. Not bad :) just TOO relaxed if you get my drift. And that was only at about 1200mg and Im 6'3 220lbs.

Al Shades

Al Shades

Awards
Its spelled tryptophan I just got done witha study in a researh lab to see if promotes breast cncer growth, still have tocompile the data.You do know that excess tryptophan gets converted to serotoin right?
Isn't that the entire point of taking it?

L-Tyrosine/L-Dopa ==> Dopamine (energy neurotransmitter)
L-Tryptophan/5-HTP ==> Serotonin (relaxation neurotransmitter)

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
Isn't that the entire point of taking it?

L-Tyrosine/L-Dopa ==> Dopamine (energy neurotransmitter)
L-Tryptophan/5-HTP ==> Serotonin (relaxation neurotransmitter)
You got it! At least someone reponds to my post!

quigs

quigs

Awards
  • Established

Skip the 5HTP and just go with Tryptophan. Tryptophan is much more effective IMO. GABA is good if dosed high enough (like at least 2-3g). I've noticed the best results around 5g. For a very good relaxation, anti-anxiety, sleep stack, I'd suggest the following:

GABA 3g daily
Tryptophan 500mg 3x's per day
L-Theanine 1g daily
Magnolia Extract (or relora) daily

Other good herbal extracts to consider:
Corydalis extract (on occasion in the evenings)
Lemon Balm
Chamomile
St. John's Wort
Valerian root

I like phenibut a lot too, but unfortunately due to how quickly tolerance develops I wouldn't suggest it for regular use.

moveweight

moveweight

Banned
Awards
Skip the 5HTP and just go with Tryptophan. Tryptophan is much more effective IMO. GABA is good if dosed high enough (like at least 2-3g). I've noticed the best results around 5g. For a very good relaxation, anti-anxiety, sleep stack, I'd suggest the following:

GABA 3g daily
L-Theanine 1g daily

Lemon Balm
Chamomile
St. John's Wort
Valerian root

I like phenibut a lot too, but unfortunately due to how quickly tolerance develops I wouldn't suggest it for regular use.
REPS... strong post here... info is 100% on point!! :box:

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established

GABA 3g daily
L-Theanine 1g daily

Lemon Balm
Chamomile
St. John's Wort
Valerian root

St. Johns wort when taken on a regular basis causes extreme sensitivy to the sun and any prolonged time inwhich your skin is exosed can cause buring-not fun I watched my mom experience this as a kid.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
St. Johns wort when taken on a regular basis causes extreme sensitivy to the sun and any prolonged time inwhich your skin is exosed can cause buring-not fun I watched my mom experience this as a kid.
yea, i dint beleive it until someone i kind of know told me about it.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
It truly can be an awful experience inwhich many can't figure out the culprit while they are taking St.Johns Wort. Believe it or not when cows eats st jons root while on a farm its shown they were severly burned.

quigs

quigs

Awards
  • Established
This is a fairly common side effect, you are correct. However, not everyone experiences this. I've used it for prolonged periods with no additional sun sensitivity, even while tanning.

It is good that you pointed this out though, as its something users should be aware of.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
phenibut is by far the best thing to take if you really want deep sleep and very vivid dreams and great relaxation. i took a little more phenibut then i normally and i had the most vivid dream i have ever had, it was crazy, i can actually what happened and the order events happened which i never can. way to realistic and i sort of dont ever want to dream like that again, but other then that phenibut is the best relaxation/sleep aid that is legally available.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
OK guys,

a few thoughts ...

First, thank you.

Second, I will take the advice you've given. I think I'll need to build up a tolerance to the GABA - I get a niacin-like flush from it.

Third, I guess I'll need to pick up some 1-carboxy and phenibut.

Thanks again.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
Phenibut works really well with GABA, I find I need less of ether when used together... Try to use them no more than 5 times a week (ie, take the weekend off).

I would not take Tryptophan during the day, I would only take it before bed...

Magnolia (or relora) is awesome during the day for control stress, without bogging you down or ****ing with your sex drive or appetite. (Tryptophan will do this if taken in the day time, and 5htp will be even worse).