GABA Supplementation

chunkymunkey

chunkymunkey

Awards
I've been taking GABA prior to bed (with magnesium and melatonin) and have noticed an improvement in my sleep and overall mood. Improving my sleep was the foundation of my own health improvement plan, and I do believe I'm now starting to reap the benefits -- physically and mentally -- of deeper daily rest.

I've been reading more about GABA recently and found a few articles suggesting it's beneficial to be taken around workouts because of its impact on GH levels. Does anyone here do that?

I've also read conflicting information, from taking 3-5g anywhere from 30-60mins prior to workout, and taking it with protein post-workout. When do you take it and how much do you dose? I currently have 500mg veg capsules from NOW foods, and I've started taking an additional serving post workout with my protein shake. I'm just curious whether there is more information available about if this is better moved to before my session?

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
GABA can be pretty sedating.
I wouldn't take it before working out

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was under the impression it didn't cross teh blood-brain barrier and was basically rendered ineffective when used orally because of this?

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I was under the impression it didn't cross teh blood-brain barrier and was basically rendered ineffective when used orally because of this?
Have you tried it?
My question would be: If it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier (in theory) would it be able to do things like increase GH?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
GABA can be pretty sedating.
I wouldn't take it before working out
I actually use melatonin before my workouts lol, if your worried about something making you tired try to time it so that you start your workout right before it kicks in. Adrenaline will take over and negate the sleepyness. At least for me it does.

With that being said. I'm 10,000% convinced that the gh increase is not enough to have any effect on fat loss or muscle gain with gaba or melatonin.

I take it for a focused relaxed feeling. Then I feel like I can focus on my workout and channel my energy into the task at hand.

Or I'm just a complete headcase, it's definitely one or the other tho ...

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I actually use melatonin before my workouts lol, if your worried about something making you tired try to time it so that you start your workout right before it kicks in. Adrenaline will take over and negate the sleepyness. At least for me it does.

With that being said. I'm 10,000% convinced that the gh increase is not enough to have any effect on fat loss or muscle gain with gaba or melatonin.

I take it for a focused relaxed feeling. Then I feel like I can focus on my workout and channel my energy into the task at hand.

Or I'm just a complete headcase, it's definitely one or the other tho ...
You're definitely different than a lot of guys with things (but so am I). I'm jealous of some of them.

I could never (would never) take a sedating substance before a workout (or job).

:)

chunkymunkey

chunkymunkey

Awards
Yeah, I'm not too sure that's why I thought I would ask the forum for the general consensus.

I've noticed a difference in my sleep and mood since taking it before bed (orally), but haven't considered using it much around the post-workout window.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Some say that GABA is unable to cross the blood–brain barrier (BBB), but the studies have been contradictory and my research and experience says otherwise.

Shortly after taking a few grams I get the tingles and short breath almost anxiety-like (goes away fast) and just about knocks me out/sleepy... for people like me it seems our blood-brain barrier is "leaky" enough to let GABA through.

I'm not saying leaky brain is good but it's a real thing:

Ziyo

Ziyo

Awards
  • Established
I’m not sure about regular GABA but studies have been done on PharmaGABA taken alongside post workout whey protein and it did seem to have an increase in resting serum GH. Lean body mass was significantly increased as a result.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i love GABA pre bed ( 2-3G )

I have tried it in morning very small dosage bc i was kinda scared if it will give me that sedating feeling and i wont be able to function at work.

small dosage was anywhere from 300-500mg, i didn't notice much from it but i wasnt in the right mind to judge it.

I do think it can benefit from taking during day but finding out that dosage is a challenging part.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Based on a study (Evidence that nitric oxide production increases γ-amino butyric acid permeability of blood-brain barrier - ScienceDirect), taking something that increases nitric oxide production will increase the permeability of the blood brain barrier to peripheral GABA. So, it should be especially effective if taken during/after a preworkout (or other supplement) with pump ingredients. Gaba and l-theanine also seem to be a synergistic combo - GABA and l-theanine mixture decreases sleep latency and improves NREM sleep - PubMed (nih.gov).

chunkymunkey

chunkymunkey

Awards
I’m not sure about regular GABA but studies have been done on PharmaGABA taken alongside post workout whey protein and it did seem to have an increase in resting serum GH. Lean body mass was significantly increased as a result.

This is actually one of the studies I was reading. I didn't realise it was a different type of GABA, though.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have been taking (1) scoop of SNS GABA pre workout for a while now, no problem with sleepiness

SNS GABA.jpg

Mixelflick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
GABA was introduced by AST Research (now AST Sports Science) in 1993. It was then and is now one of the very few supplements you can "feel". I've used it since then and 8 ways to Sunday, at all hours of the day/night. Here's what I can tell you...

* It does increase GH, but only transiently. Dosage for this is anywhere from 3 to 5g when taken prior to sleep/training (on an empty stomach as possible)
*It's debateable as to whether or not these transient increases (over many weeks, months or years) helps you build more muscle/lose fat faster than you otherwise would. If it does, it won't be "enough" for most people.
*GABA's real value lies in its ability to facilitate/improve sleep, which is a real problem for many people. And the older you get, the worse it gets (sleep issues). Correcting this capacity block can be a game changer, particularly if you're in a chronic sleep deficit - and many people are.
*Low dose (1g and under, under the tongue) GABA during the day can help with mild to moderate anxiety IMO, and is helpful in dealing with stressfull situations.
*Noticeable improvements in muscle gain/fat loss require elevated GH/IGF-1 levels around the clock, so if you're looking for that - using MK-677, CJC-1295 or real GH will yield far superior results.

Still, the cost/benefit ratio of GABA is outstanding IMO, especially if it improves your sleep. No big muscle gains, but no issues with insulin resistance, water retention or carpal tunnel either. Use 3-5 grams on an empty stomach around 1 hour before bed. Ideally, 5 days/week out of 7 to prevent attenuation.

Makes a lot of sense IMO, especially for the price...

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
@Mixelflick Why do I get the same "Tingles" with GABA that I get with Beta-Alanine ?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Same. Sometimes I get them as well with GABA. Never thought about it until you just mentioned it.
I thought I was some kind of weirdo ???

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Do you guys recommend PharmaGABA or just plain GABA to try for anxiety and sleep?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
i love GABA pre bed ( 2-3G )

I have tried it in morning very small dosage bc i was kinda scared if it will give me that sedating feeling and i wont be able to function at work.

small dosage was anywhere from 300-500mg, i didn't notice much from it but i wasnt in the right mind to judge it.

I do think it can benefit from taking during day but finding out that dosage is a challenging part.
Do you develop tolerance to it with continued use? I'll be picking up some gaba this weekend.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Do you develop tolerance to it with continued use? I'll be picking up some gaba this weekend.
Ive never did .. think i ran it straight for 2 months with no days off and never felt that it didnt work .

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Are you Getting The SNS Brand ? I know you can trust the quality of the brand!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Are you Getting The SNS Brand ? I know you can trust the quality of the brand!
I was just going to get whatever I can find at gnc since it's closest. GNC brand works right?

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If I took GABA at those levels, I would probably have to fight to breathe. For some reason, I am VERY sensitive to GABA. Anything over 500Mg to 750Mg gives me a strange heart rate/anxiety type reaction.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If I took GABA at those levels, I would probably have to fight to breathe. For some reason, I am VERY sensitive to GABA. Anything over 500Mg to 750Mg gives me a strange heart rate/anxiety type reaction.
I don’t think I’ve ever had my heart rate go up, but I’ve had a few sleep supplements that make me feel out of breath. Not fun.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I was just going to get whatever I can find at gnc since it's closest. GNC brand works right?
GNC should be good quality, unless they’ve gone more downhill than I thought. Big problem is they charge so much. I don’t think GABA is too bad price wise. But I haven’t been there in forever.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
GNC should be good quality, unless they’ve gone more downhill than I thought. Big problem is they charge so much. I don’t think GABA is too bad price wise. But I haven’t been there in forever.
You want need to worry about Quality with this, and it's on sale !!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What is this three letter word that you have used? GNC? ;)

You want need to worry about Quality with this, and it's on sale !!

Agreed with this. I would definitely recommend SNS GABA in terms of quality.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What is this three letter word that you have used? GNC? ;)

Agreed with this. I would definitely recommend SNS GABA in terms of quality.
And if you enjoy this forum please support the companies that support us !! Without them our community would not exist!!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
And if you enjoy this forum please support the companies that support us !! Without them our community would not exist!!
Agreed! I typically will always go with a reputable company here versus another company even if the price is slightly higher.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Does that weird restricted breathing happen at that dose?
Was taking 3 scoops 3000mg and at first my breathing felt a little labored (not bad) after about a week it went away.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would definitely not start with 3 scoops !!

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I use gaba on and off for sleep using 2 to 3gms added to my sleep cocktail. Knocks me the fk out almost like a week ambien without the ambien side effects.

You may want to add some glutamine and a nitric oxide precursor and maybe even vitamin b6

Now there will inevitably be that guy who will tell you that GABA is unable to cross the blood–brain barrier (BBB), but the studies have been contradictory and my research and experience shows that for the benefits we are looking for, sleep and GH increase, it may not need too? or then again maybe it does infact cross the BBB.

So for sleep it's awesome. I had tried taking it pre-workout since that is what they did in that well known study showing a "480% increase in gh levels".

IMHO I have no idea if 480% is significant or a drop in the pan but its cheap, it can't hurt to try.

For me pre workout is no go.. it made me drag ass/tired all day long post workout which is something I've heard pro bodybuilders experience when they inject real GH so maybe it's working in that regard?

But back to gaba and sleep..Shortly after taking a few grams I get the tingles and short breath almost anxiety like and just about knocks me out/sleepy... for people like me it seems our blood-brain barrier is "leaky" enough to let GABA through.

josun

Awards
  • Established
I wish I could get the sleep benefits from GABA. It just makes me feel wide awake

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Do you guys recommend PharmaGABA or just plain GABA to try for anxiety and sleep?
I would go with regular GABA. We had looked at doing a PharmaGABA and I'm just not convinced its much better and the price is exponentially higher.

What dose should I start with?
500 to 1,000 mg. is a good starting dose.

Does that weird restricted breathing happen at that dose?
That is something that won't ever happen to most people anyway and for the ones that it does, that would normally happen if someone jumped right into taking 2 to 3 grams at one time.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I use gaba on and off for sleep using 2 to 3gms added to my sleep cocktail. Knocks me the fk out almost like a week ambien without the ambien side effects.

You may want to add some glutamine and a nitric oxide precursor and maybe even vitamin b6

Now there will inevitably be that guy who will tell you that GABA is unable to cross the blood–brain barrier (BBB), but the studies have been contradictory and my research and experience shows that for the benefits we are looking for, sleep and GH increase, it may not need too? or then again maybe it does infact cross the BBB.

So for sleep it's awesome. I had tried taking it pre-workout since that is what they did in that well known study showing a "480% increase in gh levels".

IMHO I have no idea if 480% is significant or a drop in the pan but its cheap, it can't hurt to try.

For me pre workout is no go.. it made me drag ass/tired all day long post workout which is something I've heard pro bodybuilders experience when they inject real GH so maybe it's working in that regard?

But back to gaba and sleep..Shortly after taking a few grams I get the tingles and short breath almost anxiety like and just about knocks me out/sleepy... for people like me it seems our blood-brain barrier is "leaky" enough to let GABA through.

I get the tingles pretty bad, that is one thing I do not like

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I get the tingles pretty bad, that is one thing I do not like
If you don't find yourself getting use to the tingling feeling, you could back your dose down slightly.

I am very prone to the tingling feeling on a lot of things, even things that other people normally don't get them from, and I've never had it off GABA so that's surprising for me (but in a good way).

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I would go with regular GABA. We had looked at doing a PharmaGABA and I'm just not convinced its much better and the price is exponentially higher.

500 to 1,000 mg. is a good starting dose.

That is something that won't ever happen to most people anyway and for the ones that it does, that would normally happen if someone jumped right into taking 2 to 3 grams at one time.
500mg hit me hard! I'm surprised. I don't know much about this, but is this safe to take daily for sleep, 1-2 grams per day?

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I went through a tub of White Flood Classic a few years ago and would get crazy anxious for about 2-3 minutes because of the GABA in it. I'm tempted to try it for sleep. Extended Release Melatonin has been the best for me in terms on sleep.

dukes3577

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
None!
My before bed stack
2g gaba
400 mg magnesium glycinate
50 mg zinc gluconate
10 mg melatonin with 1,000 mcg lemon balm
And as of last month I added
API-Plex

Sleep like a baby and wake refreshed, No grogginess

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
None!
My before bed stack
2g gaba
400 mg magnesium glycinate
50 mg zinc gluconate
10 mg melatonin with 1,000 mcg lemon balm
And as of last month I added
API-Plex

Sleep like a baby and wake refreshed, No grogginess
I'm guessing you mean 1000mg lemon balm, correct?
That's quite a stack you got there. I'll have to give this a shot, at lower doses to start though.

dukes3577

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No, it’s 1,000 mcg spring valley brand from Walmart