Creatine Loading Question

magx

Awards
I just bought Allmax Micronized Creatine Monohydrate and did some reading, and learned that the newest idea is to take 50g protein 50g of carbs with creatine to take advantage of the insulin spike.

I plan on doing 20g/day for 5 days then 5g/day maintenace. Problem is, I am low carbing it right now, and so for 5 days I have to take in 200g of grape juice?? Yikes!!!

Can't I take the one dose the rcommended way post workout, then the other 3 doses with water? I would do the maintenance dose each day the "proper" way also.

Or do I have to do ALL doses with the carbs?

Thanks very much.

magx

Awards
anyone?

I started today, first dose this morning, 5mg with protein shake and grape juice......I plan on taking 2 more doses today, I am going to do 15g for 3 days then 5g/day for maintenance.

So for my 2 other doses today, 1 will be post workout with carbs and protein but then the last one will be later tonight....I'd rather not drink sugary juice at night unless I HAVE to.....what's the verdict...can I mix it with just water or does every single dose need to be with carbs?

Thanks in advance.

magx

Awards
well I didn't get any replies so I just went ahead and did this fpr the last 2 doses today: pre-workout mixed with water, and post workout with grape juice and whey protein.

Tomorrow I'll do the grape juice and protein in the morning again and then the last 2 doses with water.

Hope I'm not screwing it up...

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
I just bought Allmax Micronized Creatine Monohydrate and did some reading, and learned that the newest idea is to take 50g protein 50g of carbs with creatine to take advantage of the insulin spike.

I plan on doing 20g/day for 5 days then 5g/day maintenace. Problem is, I am low carbing it right now, and so for 5 days I have to take in 200g of grape juice?? Yikes!!!

Can't I take the one dose the rcommended way post workout, then the other 3 doses with water? I would do the maintenance dose each day the "proper" way also.

Thanks very much.
Actually the research has shown we don't even need to load creatine to get the full benefits. You can simply take 5-10g's a day and within around 20-30 days your muscle will be fully saturated regardless of the lower dose. Unless you have a specific event, where you need your creatine levels maxed out fast, there is no reason to load creatine. On training days, CERTAINLY try and get atleast one of the doses postWO to maximize uptake.

Regarding the carbs, you don't have to take creatine with carbs either, the carbs just speed up its uptake. If you take one dose postWO with your shake ect, and another dose with water or some carbs, you will be all set.

Mickfootie

Mickfootie

Awards
  • Established
Actually the research has shown we don't even need to load creatine to get the full benefits. You can simply take 5-10g's a day and within around 20-30 days your muscle will be fully saturated regardless of the lower dose. Unless you have a specific event, where you need your creatine levels maxed out fast, there is no reason to load creatine. On training days, CERTAINLY try and get atleast one of the doses postWO to maximize uptake.

Regarding the carbs, you don't have to take creatine with carbs either, the carbs just speed up its uptake. If you take one dose postWO with your shake ect, and another dose with water or some carbs, you will be all set.
^^^Yep.... Come a long way from the days of loading... :)

magx

Awards
thaks very much!

I am loading b/c I am impatient essentially. Why wait almost a month when I could be fully saturated in a few days?

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
thaks very much!

I am loading b/c I am impatient essentially. Why wait almost a month when I could be fully saturated in a few days?
7-10 days at 5-10g's a day and I am pretty maxed out. If I load it's more like 3-5 days, not a big difference. I'll find the study, but I believe it was 2.5 or 5g a day, was fully saturating the test subject by day 28. 10g 's will be even faster.

Whatever you choose, do try and time it preWO and postWO, especially post.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
IMO the best stategy is to load three days at twenty five grams per day. Take a four day break,. Repeat.... This seems to work better than five or ten grams a day and strength gains are noticable. I take a week break every 8-10 weeks of training along with a week creatine break.

The science behind it : Fil;l those muscles up, give them a break for receptors to rests, load them again and receptors are more sensative to gobble up the creatine.I got this from Ast-ss.

A lil off subject.....

In the recent Muscular Development on stands now , a man had to go to the hospital to get leg surgery after he did 80 grams creatine per day for forty days strait. Somehow it effected his leg.

magx

Awards
IMO the best stategy is to load three days at twenty five grams per day. Take a four day break,. Repeat.... This seems to work better than five or ten grams a day and strength gains are noticable. I take a week break every 8-10 weeks of training along with a week creatine break.

The science behind it : Fil;l those muscles up, give them a break for receptors to rests, load them again and receptors are more sensative to gobble up the creatine.I got this from Ast-ss.

A lil off subject.....

In the recent Muscular Development on stands now , a man had to go to the hospital to get leg surgery after he did 80 grams creatine per day for forty days strait. Somehow it effected his leg.
:frustrate :frustrate 80g/day???

jesus

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Creatine uptake is sodium dependent anyway, so all that sugar is not necessary.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Can't say for certain, but I've seen it referenced in a few places that creatine uptake is sodium dependent.

Creatine uptake in isolated soleus muscle: kinetics and dependence on sodium, but not on insulin.
Willott CA, Young ME, Leighton B, Kemp GJ, Boehm EA, Radda GK, Clarke K.
Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford, UK.

The increased use of creatine by athletes as a dietary supplement to improve their physical performance assumes that increased serum creatine levels will increase intracellular skeletal muscle creatine. Despite this common assumption, skeletal muscle creatine uptake awaits full characterization. Consequently, we have investigated 14C-labelled creatine uptake in isolated, incubated rat soleus (type I) muscle preparations at 37 degrees C. We found that the apparent Km for creatine uptake was 73 microM and the Vmax was 77 nmol h-1 gww-1. Creatine uptake was 82% inhibited by 2 mM beta-guanidinopropionic acid, the structural analogue of creatine. In addition, a decrease in buffer Na+ concentration, from 145 to 25 mM, reduced the rate of 14C-labelled creatine uptake by 77%, indicating that uptake is largely Na+-dependent in soleus muscle. Insulin had no effect on the rate of creatine uptake in vitro. The total creatine content was 34% lower, but the rate of creatine uptake in the presence of 100 microM extracellular creatine was 45% higher, in soleus than in extensor digitorum longus (type II) muscle. However, at 1 mM extracellular creatine, the maximal rate of uptake was not significantly different for the two muscle types, implying that soleus muscle has a lower Km for creatine uptake. We suggest that intracellular creatine levels may play a role in the regulation of skeletal muscle creatine uptake.

PMID: 10383488 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Thanos

Thanos

Awards

Thanks very much.
5g per day for 21 days after that 5 grams on training days, just my 2 cents

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
nice so just get some salt or find something with sodium in it.

Can't say for certain, but I've seen it referenced in a few places that creatine uptake is sodium dependent.

Creatine uptake in isolated soleus muscle: kinetics and dependence on sodium, but not on insulin.
Willott CA, Young ME, Leighton B, Kemp GJ, Boehm EA, Radda GK, Clarke K.
Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford, UK.

The increased use of creatine by athletes as a dietary supplement to improve their physical performance assumes that increased serum creatine levels will increase intracellular skeletal muscle creatine. Despite this common assumption, skeletal muscle creatine uptake awaits full characterization. Consequently, we have investigated 14C-labelled creatine uptake in isolated, incubated rat soleus (type I) muscle preparations at 37 degrees C. We found that the apparent Km for creatine uptake was 73 microM and the Vmax was 77 nmol h-1 gww-1. Creatine uptake was 82% inhibited by 2 mM beta-guanidinopropionic acid, the structural analogue of creatine. In addition, a decrease in buffer Na+ concentration, from 145 to 25 mM, reduced the rate of 14C-labelled creatine uptake by 77%, indicating that uptake is largely Na+-dependent in soleus muscle. Insulin had no effect on the rate of creatine uptake in vitro. The total creatine content was 34% lower, but the rate of creatine uptake in the presence of 100 microM extracellular creatine was 45% higher, in soleus than in extensor digitorum longus (type II) muscle. However, at 1 mM extracellular creatine, the maximal rate of uptake was not significantly different for the two muscle types, implying that soleus muscle has a lower Km for creatine uptake. We suggest that intracellular creatine levels may play a role in the regulation of skeletal muscle creatine uptake.

PMID: 10383488 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]