My Maca Root Powder experiment ( 1 year)

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hello,

I got my blood test done back in January 2017 and my total test was 306 ng/dl and free test was 5.42 ng/dl.
I'm 36 by the way, weigh 217 lbs (mostly fat around the midsection), 6ft tall, and BMI is around 30.

I read a lot about maca root powder and its supposed benefits in increasing testosterone, libido etc.

So I got raw maca root powder from the Maca Team from Amazon. It has a blend of black, red, and yellow maca...each has various health benefits.

I took a tea spoon of maca in my morning coffee every single day for a whole year (and still do now). I took no other supplement apart from the usual multi vitamin, fish oil, creatine, raw cacao powder, TUDCA, and collagen for joints.

So I just got by blood work done a month ago and here was my test results.

Total test = 430 ng/dl

Free test = 10.8 ng/dl

(I didn't get SHGB results)

Not bad I guess. May not seem dramatic but I believe slow and steady is the way to go. And coffee tastes nice and malty with maca.

Thanks!

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hello,

I got my blood test done back in January 2017 and my total test was 306 ng/dl and free test was 5.42 ng/dl.
I'm 36 by the way, weigh 217 lbs (mostly fat around the midsection), 6ft tall, and BMI is around 30.

I read a lot about maca root powder and its supposed benefits in increasing testosterone, libido etc.

So I got raw maca root powder from the Maca Team from Amazon. It has a blend of black, red, and yellow maca...each has various health benefits.

I took a tea spoon of maca in my morning coffee every single day for a whole year (and still do now). I took no other supplement apart from the usual multi vitamin, fish oil, creatine, raw cacao powder, TUDCA, and collagen for joints.

So I just got by blood work done a month ago and here was my test results.

Total test = 430 ng/dl

Free test = 10.8 ng/dl

(I didn't get SHGB results)

Not bad I guess. May not seem dramatic but I believe slow and steady is the way to go. And coffee tastes nice and malty with maca.

Thanks!
LH & FSH? Asking for a friend. :)

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Interesting results. Wouldn't mind seeing it done with a bigger n of course, but still interesting.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
LH & FSH? Asking for a friend. :)
Sorry, I didn't get a comprehensive test panel done. This was just part of my regular blood test. My doctor is the type of of person who believes that if the test levels are within range then everything is fine (even if it is on the low end of the reference range).

ddfox

ddfox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I work where we sell red, yellow, & black maca powder separately - Any idea as to which is best in the test boosting?
I might try one.

Independent

Independent

Awards
Did you take your bloods at the exact times of the day? I know my tt levels will fluctuate at least 200ng/nl from morning to night.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Did you take your bloods at the exact times of the day? I know my tt levels will fluctuate at least 200ng/nl from morning to night.
Those are my thoughts. Test fluctuates in general so the increase may not have anything to do with the maca

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I work where we sell red, yellow, & black maca powder separately - Any idea as to which is best in the test boosting?
I might try one.
For test boosting purposes, black maca is supposed to be best.

Independent

Independent

Awards
So what would be the best form of maca to use? Ive seen raw, gelantinized and maca extract.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So what would be the best form of maca to use? Ive seen raw, gelantinized and maca extract.
I personally prefer raw maca but here are the pros and cons of gelatinized maca according to the maca team website.

The advantages of Gelatinized Maca are:

Easy digestion – because the starch is removed Gelatinized Maca works the best for anyone with a sensitive stomach or trouble digesting starch

More concentrated nutrients – the lack of starch means that gram for gram, Gelatinized Maca is more concentrated that Raw Maca powders. It takes 4 kg of raw roots to make 1 kg of Gelatinized Maca powder

Some activated nutrients – heating the Maca roots amplifies some nutrients, including metabolites and minerals

The disadvantages or Gelatinized Maca are:

Loss of enzymes – high heat destroys all enzymes, which limits the full absorption of Maca powder

Loss of glucosinolates – high heat alters these sensitive hormone balancing nutrients making them less effective

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kjscatch Product Reviews 11
Cheeky Monkey Anabolics 4
Supplements 31
Supplements 10
Supplements 0