HMB doesn't work and the science is nonsense - proof inside

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. HMB doesn't work and the science is nonsense - proof inside

DOC-20170317-WA0001.pdf

why is ANYONE using this stuff?
    Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Representative Manager

2. Thanks for posting that, ive been trying to find it after seeing Mennos post on it.

I personally feel a difference in recovery when using HMB-Fa and not, but im looking forward to reading this.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by TheMrMuscle View Post
    Thanks for posting that, ive been trying to find it after seeing Mennos post on it.

I personally feel a difference in recovery when using HMB-Fa and not, but im looking forward to reading this.

ok...it may do SOMETHING, but not a fraction of what is claimed.

Know what actually does work and has thousands of repeatable studies behind it? Leucine.

4. Quote Originally Posted by VaughnTrue View Post
    DOC-20170317-WA0001.pdf

why is ANYONE using this stuff?
    For a second, I thought you were gonna 'dis HMB-Ca! (Note, that *it* gets some credit in the body of the letter).

Nice post Vaughn - those are the heaviest hitters in the research industry.

I've long since decided Wilson's work is questionable to say the least.

5. Hmb is legit. The calcium salt. But the magic is in the training. It really shines in overreaching.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Pec.Major View Post
    Hmb is legit. The calcium salt. But the magic is in the training. It really shines in overreaching.
    Ca is, FA is not - people need to be really clear when typing the letters HMB, IMO... LOL

7. Quote Originally Posted by The_Old_Guy View Post
    Ca is, FA is not - people need to be really clear when typing the letters HMB, IMO... LOL
    do the studies behind HMB-Ca look as comical as the FA ones? I honestly haven't read up on them in some time

8. Quote Originally Posted by VaughnTrue View Post
    do the studies behind HMB-Ca look as comical as the FA ones? I honestly haven't read up on them in some time
    Brosef, just type: HMB Suppversity into Google, and you'll get 3, 4, 5 non-industry related studies showing it's worth the ~$50 per year to use it

9. Quote Originally Posted by VaughnTrue View Post

Know what actually does work and has thousands of repeatable studies behind it? Leucine.
    I have read of people megadosing leucine, how much do you take before your workout and after.

10. Quote Originally Posted by jameschoi View Post
    I have read of people megadosing leucine, how much do you take before your workout and after.
    Mega dosing Leucine is a waste. You need about 3g (5g max if you want to err) per protein feeding. There should be about a 3-5 hour delay before your next protein feeding. More doesn't help. Also, if you are going to use supplemental Leucine, make sure you subtract the Leucine that is already in your Casein/Whey/Beef/Egg/Chicken/Fish, etc...

11. Quote Originally Posted by The_Old_Guy View Post
    My bad, i was unclear. Should have wrote HMB-Ca instead of "the calcium salt" seperated.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Pec.Major View Post
    My bad, i was unclear. Should have wrote HMB-Ca instead of "the calcium salt" seperated.
    Nah, I got you, just a general post using your quote - sorry.

13. Quote Originally Posted by The_Old_Guy View Post
    Mega dosing Leucine is a waste. You need about 3g (5g max if you want to err) per protein feeding. There should be about a 3-5 hour delay before your next protein feeding. More doesn't help. Also, if you are going to use supplemental Leucine, make sure you subtract the Leucine that is already in your Casein/Whey/Beef/Egg/Chicken/Fish, etc...
    What about ecdysteroids, do they work at all.

14. Quote Originally Posted by jameschoi View Post
    Define "work"? I bought what could be considered the highest quality Rhaponticum product - consumed it with Tart Cherry Juice (itself proven to aid recovery), and noticed a small to medium improvement in recovery from workouts I had been doing for months. When I switched to entirely new exercises, it did absolutely nothing - DOMS out the azz for a few workouts. Didn't re-purchase.

15. Always interested in reading solid information
    Mind and Muscle Code AM10 WWW.mindandmuscle.com
    Muscle Research Code AM10 www.mrsupps.com

16. In before "feels like deca."
    ARA/ Evomuse Log.... Follow and laugh at my mediocre results http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/282586-evomuse-ara-log.html#post5403818

17. Quote Originally Posted by banjobounce View Post
    In before "feels like deca."
    LOL well played

18. Quote Originally Posted by VaughnTrue View Post

Interested to know which group you think HICA would reside ?

Something: Leucine / HMB-Ca
    or
    Nothing: HMB

19. surprising someone messed misrepresented numbers to further their pocket. never happens in the supplement industry ever....

20. Quote Originally Posted by pulsefit View Post
    surprising someone messed misrepresented numbers to further their pocket. never happens in the supplement industry ever....
    Haha nope, never. Not in this industry!
    iForce Nutrition Representative

21. Wilsons research is ALWAYS overwhelmingly positive. Very skeptical that he doesn't fabricate claims
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable

22. Quote Originally Posted by The_Old_Guy View Post
    Brosef, just type: HMB Suppversity into Google, and you'll get 3, 4, 5 non-industry related studies showing it's worth the ~$50 per year to use it
    This. There is research on it that doesn't raise the same concerns as the HMB-FA studies, and at $50/year (under $5/month, or $0.14/day), it's a cheap enough addition.

There's also a recent rat study that found that "HMB forestalled the effects of aging on the dendritic tree of this population of neurons."
    In both healthy aging humans and rat models, there are cognitive deficits associated with age-related dendritic shrinkage within the prefrontal cortex...

As expected, there were fewer spines and a retraction of dendritic material in the apical and basilar trees in old age controls of both sexes compared with their middle-aged counterparts. However, these losses did not occur in the HMB-treated rats in either dendrites or the total number of dendritic spines.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubme...methylbutyrate

The study used 450mg/kg, which isn't an unachievable dose when converted (5.4g for a 75kg person).

Now, it's not something that seems like it would improve cognition in healthy young adults, but it is rather interesting, and makes HMB an even more promising supplement as we age, and even as a generally healthy supplement to help us essentially stay younger loner.
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

23. Well, I've read the whole PDF, but I missed the part where they proved it doesn't work.

The letter only asks for clarification and, yes, the author do doubt the amount of gains, but they don't (and can't) say it doesn't work and have conducted no similar experiment on the ingredient.
    A Clarification Letter doesn't prove anything, and doesn't intend to.

24. Quote Originally Posted by jameschoi View Post
    At doses you can't afford, there should be a benefit. But a lot more cheaper and better options available.

25. HMB/leucine is such a scam! If you search for it on pubmed/ncbi, there's zero studies that say it's effective. Same at the examine website. I am going to visit that supversity link someone mentioned but yeah so far it's definitely a waste. Money is better spent on food.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Don't fight it-Combine it! the Science is WHEY better
    By USPlabsRep in forum Supplements
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-30-2013, 12:12 AM
  2. And the answer is......??!!!
    By toughchick401 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-10-2006, 04:49 PM