HMB doesn't work and the science is nonsense - proof inside

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. Quote Originally Posted by David Dunn View Post
    Not sure if you are being sarcastic...
    So after I subtract those food products (which I cannot actually calculate the exact anount of lucine contained) and if I have a number "zero" I must not need any supplemental then?
    Huh? Very loosely a scoop of Whey has like 2g, and Casein has 1.5g. 8oz of Milk has 1g etc... If one were going to add Leucine it would be a waste to add 5g to 2 scoops of Whey in Milk. Thats what I was trying to relay.As faras I can recall, both Norton and Phillips say no more than 5g per 'feeding' is needed (and thats for really big dudes).


  2. Quote Originally Posted by The_Old_Guy View Post
    Huh? Very loosely a scoop of Whey has like 2g, and Casein has 1.5g. 8oz of Milk has 1g etc... If one were going to add Leucine it would be a waste to add 5g to 2 scoops of Whey in Milk. Thats what I was trying to relay.As faras I can recall, both Norton and Phillips say no more than 5g per 'feeding' is needed (and thats for really big dudes).
    Yep. 5g is plenty to add to meals low in leucine. Less even if some is present
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by polarcat View Post
    Ok so it "works" for volleyball players and old ladies and provides "trivial" strength gains but has no effect on body composition. I mean it works but not to an extent that's worth it. Especially for healthy males that have been resistance training and living the bodybuilding lifestyle for a while it's not going to do anything. Waste of money. Also wayyyyy too many uncontrollable factors that could've contributed to the tiny results those studies showed.
    It's not really for that. Leucine is an mTOR stimulator, meaning that at 5g it maximally activates the cascade responsible for building muscle. It wont add mass without substrate though.

    Think of leucine as a project manager, it gets the ball rolling, but wont actually do the work in building the house. Other people/ substrates are there for that
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  4. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Old_Guy View Post
    Huh? Very loosely a scoop of Whey has like 2g, and Casein has 1.5g. 8oz of Milk has 1g etc... If one were going to add Leucine it would be a waste to add 5g to 2 scoops of Whey in Milk. Thats what I was trying to relay.As faras I can recall, both Norton and Phillips say no more than 5g per 'feeding' is needed (and thats for really big dudes).
    i understand. I'm good on my Leucine.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by polarcat View Post
    Ok so it "works" for volleyball players and old ladies and provides "trivial" strength gains but has no effect on body composition. I mean it works but not to an extent that's worth it. Especially for healthy males that have been resistance training and living the bodybuilding lifestyle for a while it's not going to do anything. Waste of money. Also wayyyyy too many uncontrollable factors that could've contributed to the tiny results those studies showed.
    You can get it for less than $5/month, it has studies showing some benefits in trained individuals, and it has research suggesting it can also be a longevity-supporting type supplement, as animal research suggests cognitive-protecting effects, and human studies show physical benefits for the elderly. For the price, I think it's worth it, but we're all entitled to our opinions. I wouldn't say it's "useless" by any means though.
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com
    •   
       

  6. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    Far too many recreational and hobbiest trainers sweating the monutia that might be beneficial in elite highly trained and conditioned full time professional or collegiate athletes. I'll spend my money enjoying a FuFu coffee once a month and get equitable results.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by David Dunn View Post
    Far too many recreational and hobbiest trainers sweating the monutia that might be beneficial in elite highly trained and conditioned full time professional or collegiate athletes. I'll spend my money enjoying a FuFu coffee once a month and get equitable results.
    Recent studies PROVE that fufu coffee is 43% more anabolic than hmb, look it up on pubmed, straight facts.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by VaughnTrue View Post
    ok...it may do SOMETHING, but not a fraction of what is claimed.

    Know what actually does work and has thousands of repeatable studies behind it? Leucine.
    BCAAs (I have been really liking the fermented kind) are legit.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by polarcat View Post
    Recent studies PROVE that fufu coffee is 43% more anabolic than hmb, look it up on pubmed, straight facts.
    Can you provide the link.

  10. Honestly I used to with my original diet coach and looking back what a waste of money. If you ok a good diet and training program with some added protein shakes or BCAA your good. If your on gear then it's definitely a waste of money.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by David Dunn View Post
    i understand. I'm good on my Leucine.
    Yea, when you question a post, I go "oh shjt, what did I screw up?!" You appear every leap yer or so, LOL.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    You can get it for less than $5/month, it has studies showing some benefits in trained individuals, and it has research suggesting it can also be a longevity-supporting type supplement, as animal research suggests cognitive-protecting effects, and human studies show physical benefits for the elderly. For the price, I think it's worth it, but we're all entitled to our opinions. I wouldn't say it's "useless" by any means though.
    +1,000,000

    The older I get, the more I'm concerned with longevity over performance. I take Creatine for my brain, not my muscles! LOL Since HMB-Ca and Creatine do both, win/win! Phuck Alzheimer's!
  13. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Old_Guy View Post
    Yea, when you question a post, I go "oh shjt, what did I screw up?!" You appear every leap yer or so, LOL.
    I'm flattered that you notice but I got nothing on you. I read your stuff all the time. There's only a handful of guys and your on the list.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by David Dunn View Post
    I'm flattered that you notice but I got nothing on you. I read your stuff all the time. There's only a handful of guys and your on the list.
    Damn man, thanks! (Thank you Google! )

  15. Most studies need to be done over and over again to get anything out of them. Anyone remember the creatine study that showed creatine massively increased DHT levels? Like over 50% I think. The first thing I thought was that the creatine used was spiked. But that was it. The study was never followed up again. I think that's a huge find and surprising that it was never followed up. There are too many variables to rely on 1 or 2 studies in a lot of cases.

  16. Never believed in it and for the price of it my god it's a rip off. if it does anything it's very minuscule. Now if it was cheap in bulk like creating or glutamine, I wouldn't mind just throwing it into the mix.

  17. Quote Originally Posted by Studdscruggs View Post
    Never believed in it and for the price of it my god it's a rip off. if it does anything it's very minuscule. Now if it was cheap in bulk like creating or glutamine, I wouldn't mind just throwing it into the mix.
    CaHMB is cheap in bulk; about $50/year. HMB-FA is very expensive, but Ca has studies on it showing some benefits.
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

  18. One more recent study (2015):

    The efficacy of a β-hydroxy-β-methylbutyrate supplementation on physical capacity, body composition and biochemical markers in elite rowers: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover study
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4518594/

    The results indicate that HMB intake in endurance training has an advantageous effect on the increase in aerobic capacity and the reduction of fat mass. It may also stimulate an increase in peak anaerobic power

  19. Quote Originally Posted by 210LBS View Post
    Most studies need to be done over and over again to get anything out of them. Anyone remember the creatine study that showed creatine massively increased DHT levels? Like over 50% I think. The first thing I thought was that the creatine used was spiked. But that was it. The study was never followed up again. I think that's a huge find and surprising that it was never followed up. There are too many variables to rely on 1 or 2 studies in a lot of cases.
    I absolutely believe this. Lots of anecdotal reports of creatine making kids cranky. Seems pretty common and I would believe that it can impact DHT levels in younger men.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by EricMarchewitz View Post
    I absolutely believe this. Lots of anecdotal reports of creatine making kids cranky. Seems pretty common and I would believe that it can impact DHT levels in younger men.
    lol...who cares about younger men, what about older men?
    GOD, FAMILY, COUNTRY!!!
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Don't fight it-Combine it! the Science is WHEY better
    By USPlabsRep in forum Supplements
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-30-2013, 12:12 AM
  2. And the answer is......??!!!
    By toughchick401 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Log in
Log in