Benefits of Fish Oil

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
Fish Oil

Fish oil is without a doubt one of the few supplements that I recommend for almost 99% of people. Fish oil is composed of omega 3 fatty acids (eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Here's a few reasons why you want to supplement with fish oil:

1. Reducing triglycerides
2. We want roughly a 1:1 ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids in the body. Given our traditional diets, they are typically higher in omega-6, thus, adding in fish oil will aid in balancing out that ratio
3. Reduction of depression
4. Decrease blood pressure
5. Increase in HDL
6. Reduce inflammation
7. Increases brain activity

Although the dosage is going to vary from person to person, a very broad recommendation is to obviously get blood work done, assess your levels, look at your diet and see where your fat sources are coming from, make a list of what types of fats of lacking or over consumed, then proceed to add in fish oil supplementation.

Supplementation with omega3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and all-rac alpha-tocopherol alone and in combination failed to exert an anti-inflammatory ... - PubMed - NCBI
Meta-analysis of the effects of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) in clinical trials in depression. - PubMed - NCBI
Dietary fish oil decreases C-reactive protein, interleukin-6, and triacylglycerol to HDL-cholesterol ratio in postmenopausal women on HRT. - PubMed - NCBI
Metabolic and endocrine effects of long-chain versus essential omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in polycystic ovary syndrome. - PubMed - NCBI

Rob1882

Awards
  • Established
In :)

This is one of few things I consider a staple

Have had some pretty nice results with supplementing with higher doses of fish oil, given my diet of mostly duck, lamb & chicken ( Fish is expensive here in Cent PA ) it has benefited my joints as well blood pressure.

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
In :)

This is one of few things I consider a staple

Have had some pretty nice results with supplementing with higher doses of fish oil, given my diet of mostly duck, lamb & chicken ( Fish is expensive here in Cent PA ) it has benefited my joints as well blood pressure.
Agreed! I've seen some pretty extreme dosages out there but the results were pretty darn interesting coming from fish oil

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
I prefer cod liver oil as it also provides an usable form of vitamin A. For comparison, none of the softgel vitamin A products seemed to work while 10ml of the oil daily significantly improved my eyesight within a week while supplying, on paper, 1/5 of what the softgels were.

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
I prefer cod liver oil as it also provides an usable form of vitamin A. For comparison, none of the softgel vitamin A products seemed to work while 10ml of the oil daily significantly improved my eyesight within a week while supplying, on paper, 1/5 of what the softgels were.
Honestly I'm a fan of fish oil AND cod liver oil…why limit it to only 1? ;)

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm not sold at this point. I used to take it and now see way too many contradictory messages regarding the benefits and risks.

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
I'm not sold at this point. I used to take it and now see way too many contradictory messages regarding the benefits and risks.

Just eat fish then

avega17

Awards
  • Established
Would you mind elaborating on the risks and their degree of severity?

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
I throughly enjoy the benefits of fish oil daily. I will be taking this daily for the long foreseeable future. Good read!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Would you mind elaborating on the risks and their degree of severity?
http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/07/09/jnci.djt174.abstract

Fish oil supplements were found to lead to a 43% increased risk for prostate cancer overall, and a 71% increased risk for aggressive prostate cancer.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1205409

No benefits for heart attacks, strokes, or deaths from heart disease.

As someone with prostate cancer running in the family and the relative lack of benefit from taking it, I avoid it now. Unless they can come out with more evidence that it is actually useful and the risks are not what they believe they are currently, it will not be in my cabinet.

LEATHERFACE

Awards
http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/07/09/jnci.djt174.abstract

Fish oil supplements were found to lead to a 43% increased risk for prostate cancer overall, and a 71% increased risk for aggressive prostate cancer.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1205409

No benefits for heart attacks, strokes, or deaths from heart disease.

As someone with prostate cancer running in the family and the relative lack of benefit from taking it, I avoid it now. Unless they can come out with more evidence that it is actually useful and the risks are not what they believe they are currently, it will not be in my cabinet.
I didn't know that, thanks

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
I'm currently running 15 grams of fish oil per day and may increase it up-to 45 mg per day next week, it is a must when i am cutting as i find it improves my overall mood and helps my joints.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Also (I'll be posting about this more on my log), vitamin A has been shown to be positively correlated with testosterone levels: http://www.anabolicmen.com/vitamin-a-testosterone/

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
For those interested: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4681158/

Fishing for answers: is oxidation of fish oil supplements a problem?

There is a broad range of benefits claimed for n-3 fish oils including: prevention of CVD(,3), reduced cognitive decline(,4), and the improved management of inflammatory diseases (arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease and asthma)(,5). However, a series of recent studies has not demonstrated significant benefits, particularly regarding the secondary prevention of CVD(,6,7).
And further:

The initial stage of oxidation of fish oils leads to increased levels of hydroperoxides, which decompose into a variety of radicals(,12). These react with unoxidised PUFA to form additional hydroperoxides, while also breaking down to form a wide range of possible secondary oxidation products such as volatile ketones and alcohols. These are strongly linked to the rancid smells and off flavours(,12,13).
The above is why it is VITAL to always test your fish oil caps by smelling the inside of one every so often. If it smells, it is rancid and you will eventually run into problems. Rancid fish oil supplements rarely make you sick as those components have been removed during the process, thus making most users unaware of whether their fish oil is rancid or not.

It is not surprising that many retail fish oil products are oxidised to varying degrees, when one considers the complex process from ocean catch through to the final consumer product. The major sources of fish oil are small pelagic fishes, caught off the coast of Peru and Chile(,19).
This is something many people are not aware of. Despite being in air tight containers when purchased, it takes a long while for them to get there and during which time, they have plenty of time to become oxidised.

The last stage of refinement is deodorisation to remove NEFA, aldehydes and ketones, which are responsible for the undesirable taste and rancidity of oxidised oils(,15). Less than 25 % of the total crude fish oil supply is destined for human consumption and undergoes additional refinement and deodorisation.
This relates to what I said above - a process in creating a fish oil supplement is literally to remove the causes for bad smells and components that can make you sick.

Of note, it must also be recognised that n-3 PUFA supplements used in previous clinical trials may have been oxidised. It is therefore possible that the trial literature may have been significantly confounded by the use of oxidised oils. As a result, there should be independent analyses of fish oils adopted in clinical trials, and their oxidative state should be reported in future studies
Important footnote as well.

ahawk01

ahawk01

Banned
Awards
My step daughter who's very overweight is taking I forces fish oil and has postive blood work results from it.

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
Just wondering if any vegetable/nut oils would have the same benifits. My vegan coworkers claim they do.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The funny thing is, I don't know if I should take you seriously or not. You actually did report the posts. The way the world is becoming soft these days, I just don't know anymore.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
The funny thing is, I don't know if I should take you seriously or not. You actually did report the posts. The way the world is becoming soft these days, I just don't know anymore.
Well I think you have your answer now lol

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So in other words I should ban him? I find the term vegan fairly offensive myself.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
So in other words I should ban him? I find the term vegan fairly offensive myself.
Well I guess ask yourself, do you want that type of character hanging around your place? If not, do what you have to do. Besides he's pretty new anyway.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Maybe if he posted a video of him eating a steak to prove he's not falling into the commie vegan trap we can let it slide.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Maybe if he posted a video of him eating a steak to prove he's not falling into the commie vegan trap we can let it slide.
Now, we wait.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm currently running 15 grams of fish oil per day and may increase it up-to 45 mg per day next week, it is a must when i am cutting as i find it improves my overall mood and helps my joints.
15 grams???

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
Yeah 15 grams, 2400mg EPA, & 1500mg DHA

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Yeah 15 grams, 2400mg EPA, & 1500mg DHA
That's 3.9 grams. Your product would have to be 11.1 grams of "Other". Mine are 1400mg Total, 900mg of which are combined DHA/EPA Omega-3 - I take 3. I just go by Alan Aragons' recco of no more than 3g, but I wouldn't lose sleep over just taking one.

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
15 grams of omega 3 liquid provides that amount per ml / gram

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LMAO people actually reported people for saying the V-word and two admins came into the thread, hahahha

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lol, holy crap. What a loser.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Just so I don't get reported for being off topic, my doctor just recommended upping my fish oil per day to help lower my triglycerides a bit. There. Back on topic.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your doctor doesn't know what he's talking about. Boom.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
You certainly don't have to convince me of that. Lol.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Man, I'm feeling argumentative this morning. My wife is going to have a rough day. Lol

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
15 grams of omega 3 liquid provides that amount per ml / gram
Okay, so the serving size is 15ml, which equates to just under 4 grams total EPA/DHA. Huge difference in what I originally thought you said you were doing.

I use Nordic Liquid Omega 3, one of the best options out there IMO.

Rob1882

Awards
  • Established
Okay, so the serving size is 15ml, which equates to just under 4 grams total EPA/DHA. Huge difference in what I originally thought you said you were doing.

I use Nordic Liquid Omega 3, one of the best options out there IMO.

Using Kirkland or Oximega myself

About 4.8g of fish oil a day for 1640mg EPA 1096mg DHA in Kirlkand or I use 4 caps of Oximega