Benefits of Fish Oil

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Posted by Grafix-gnc

It's no question that fish eaters are more apt to escape aging diseases, such as heart disease, cancer, arthritis, diabetes, psoriasis and bronchitis.

Fish oils are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids. The two omega-3 fatty acids that are creating all kinds of excitement are eicosapentanoic (EPA) and docosahexanoic acid (DHA), both found liberally in cold water fish such as salmon. Studies showing the health benefits of fish and fish oil now number into the thousands.

Fish Oil for the Cardiovascular System

Thousands of studies show the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids found in sifh oil for the heart and circulatory system. These fatty acids help reduce low density lipoproteins (LDL's) and raise levels of good, high density lipoproteins (HDL's). These fatty acids also reduce blood vessel constriction, lower fibrinogen (the blood clotting factor), and keep platelets from becoming too sticky.

High tryglyceride levels are associated with heart disease. Both of these fatty acids lower triglyceride levels. A study by William Harris, Ph.D. showed that diets rich in salmon and salmon oil reduced triglyceride levels by 33% below controls.

17 clinical trials involving fish oil and blood pressure were evaluated by researchers at John Hopkins Medical School. They found that consuming 3 grams of fish oil a day can significantly reduce blood pressure. Although fish oil had no effect on those with normal blood pressure, it had a significant effect on thos who were hypertensive. The researchers concluded that fish oil supplementation might be helpful for those with borderline hypertension.

Fish Oil Safety

Fish oil has a good safety record, it is the predominant fat in Arctic Inuit diets, however, some factors should be considered. Fish oils tend to make the blood thin and reduce the risk of clots, so people on blood thinning medications should check with their doctors first, before sing fish oils. Fish oils are also not recommended for those people who hemorrhage or suffere from any bleeding disorder, like hemophelia.

I always recommend that people use salmon oil, and not cod or any other fish. The reason being that salmon is ussually purer, due to the animals it preys on being less likely contaminated with insecticides or other substances

GuyinLA

Awards
Is tuna a good source. If so, I generally eat two 6 ounce cans a day. According to the can, there is 2.5 grams of fat per can. Does consuming 5 grams a day constitute an adequate intake of fish oil?

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by GuyinLA
Is tuna a good source. If so, I generally eat two 6 ounce cans a day. According to the can, there is 2.5 grams of fat per can. Does consuming 5 grams a day constitute an adequate intake of fish oil?
Tuna is a good source of fish oil, as are other dark meat fish like mackerel, swordfish, salmon, and trout. I would think that 5g is a decent amount daily. That combined with flax oil should give you plenty of omega-3's.

dez/null

Awards
Also Try Hemp Oil, for you stoner freaks out there who hate the taste of Flax.

Jedi Master

Banned
Awards
Ive never gotten the whole "flax oil taste like $hit" thing. I use Barleans organic flax oil, youll find it in the refregirated section of most health food stores. Anyways I use two tablespoons everymorning and its blended into my protien shake, you cant even tell its in there. I have taken it down straight out of the spoon, and it does have a wierd texture, but it doesnt taste bad, but thats just my opinion.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I like flax oil too Jedi, I hate to make shakes without it now! Or by the spoonful it's got that kind of nutty flavor. :)

Jedi Master

Banned
Awards
He is right, if you take it down straight it has a nutty flavor, I usually describe it as an earthy flavor.

GuyinLA

Awards
I agree that flax oil isn't all that awful. I sometimes take a tablespoon and follow it up with a small amount of peanut butter. Currently, I am using Udo's Choice which, to me, has very little taste at all.