Fixing a knee

  1. Registered User
    thyrod's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,302
    Rep Power
    74236

    Fixing a knee


    Alright so the yesterday I was warming up with 135 for squats. Hurt my knee, it hurts wen I go deep but other then that all was fine, decided to buck through it and got my 365x2 pr. And now today my knees a little messed up just really umcomftable. I've been taking cissus and fish oil and orange triad multi, anything else ya think I can add in?

  2. Registered User
    warbird01's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  224 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,371
    Rep Power
    585788

    No supplement is gonna magically heal it. Ice and rest.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-GELS THE Prohormone alternative!
    anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/246394-arachidonic-acid-help.html
  3. Registered User
    thyrod's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,302
    Rep Power
    74236

    More in the term of aid/strengthen
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    kingjameskjf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,476
    Rep Power
    3250882

    Quote Originally Posted by warbird01 View Post
    No supplement is gonna magically heal it. Ice and rest.
    this
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep
  5. Registered User
    uvawahoowa's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,482
    Rep Power
    31239

    Quote Originally Posted by thyrod
    More in the term of aid/strengthen
    You can't strengthen a joint, only the muscles around it.

    I feel you on that though, I have a cyst in my knee that causes bad pain when it gets inflamed. It's all about being preventative with injuries. Ice and rest until it feels better, add heat when you think the inflammation is gone
  6. Registered User
    uvawahoowa's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,482
    Rep Power
    31239

    Quote Originally Posted by thyrod
    More in the term of aid/strengthen
    Also, not sure what the cause of your pain is but foam rolling might help, rolling out your quad and IT band
  7. Registered User
    antihero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,357
    Rep Power
    253645

    Quote Originally Posted by thyrod
    Alright so the yesterday I was warming up with 135 for squats. Hurt my knee, it hurts wen I go deep but other then that all was fine, decided to buck through it and got my 365x2 pr. And now today my knees a little messed up just really umcomftable. I've been taking cissus and fish oil and orange triad multi, anything else ya think I can add in?
    I doubt any supplement is gonna help. Where's the pain exactly?

    Go with RICE for now. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
    Revolutionizing Sports Nutrition, One Product At A Time
    antihero [@] SeriousNutritionSolutions.com
  8. Registered User
    truthornothin's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,117
    Rep Power
    26981

    Quote Originally Posted by thyrod View Post
    Alright so the yesterday I was warming up with 135 for squats. Hurt my knee, it hurts wen I go deep but other then that all was fine, decided to buck through it and got my 365x2 pr. And now today my knees a little messed up just really umcomftable. I've been taking cissus and fish oil and orange triad multi, anything else ya think I can add in?
    Give Jointforce a try, it will give immediate pain relief, It acts as a local anti inflammatory. So the the relief goes directly to the source of the pain and doesn't cause the issues that systemic anti inflammatory use can cause. It can even help heal the injury by locally reducing inflammation. That being said see a doctor and practice RICE take care of it and don't do it further damage
    E-PHARM Nutrition Representative
    Better one ugly truth than a million pretty lies
    Check Out Ur-Spray and D-Serine at Prototype Nutrition



  9. Registered User
    PrepNwa23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    4,360
    Rep Power
    2726316

    I think everything has been said I'd see a doctor if pain persist after RICE.
    PES Representative
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  10. Registered User
    thyrod's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,302
    Rep Power
    74236

    Thanks y'all, kinda sad considering each week my squat has been going up recently. It just feels weird sitting and what by and it's mostly the right side and down a little. Sorry I can't really tell ya much because I aint no genius. Today benching was kind of a bitch because I could put my pressure on my right leg to aid in balance. But yeah just gonna quit cardio and possible take next week off of legs. I approciate all the advice and was applyed some voltaren gel. And yes I know it's terrible Stuff but it helped.
    Thanks again.
  11. Registered User
    Dewey99's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  234 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    1,687
    Rep Power
    3238570

    Quote Originally Posted by thyrod View Post
    Thanks y'all, kinda sad considering each week my squat has been going up recently. It just feels weird sitting and what by and it's mostly the right side and down a little. Sorry I can't really tell ya much because I aint no genius. Today benching was kind of a bitch because I could put my pressure on my right leg to aid in balance. But yeah just gonna quit cardio and possible take next week off of legs. I approciate all the advice and was applyed some voltaren gel. And yes I know it's terrible Stuff but it helped.
    Thanks again.
    Having to miss workouts sucks, but if you push it you could end up out of the gym for a long time. Just take a week off and use it to de-load and rest. You are already taking solid joint supps, so I wouldn't add anything else in.
  12. Registered User
    truthornothin's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,117
    Rep Power
    26981

    Quote Originally Posted by Dewey99 View Post
    Having to miss workouts sucks, but if you push it you could end up out of the gym for a long time. Just take a week off and use it to de-load and rest. You are already taking solid joint supps, so I wouldn't add anything else in.
    very good advice, advice I should have taken many times myself. I tore my bicep off the bone after knowing there was an issue with my arm for months. It was a 6 month rehab process even a six week layoff would have been preferable you don't wanna wind up like this

    Name:  061709_1451[00].jpg
Views: 99
Size:  31.2 KB
    E-PHARM Nutrition Representative
    Better one ugly truth than a million pretty lies
    Check Out Ur-Spray and D-Serine at Prototype Nutrition



  13. Registered User
    muad33b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    38
    Posts
    115
    Rep Power
    2633

    Yea, I'm going to echo what has been said by others. RICE and JointForce. In fact, what I like to do is combine heavy JF applications and ice, since lots of JF causes a "burning" sensation, and the ice is cold, so you get this icy-hot effect. But that said, if the pain persists without dropping off dramatically after 4 days, you'll probably need an MRI. Also worth mentioning, that then I go heavy, I use knee wraps, as I have beat the crap outta my knees over the years, and I believe these help to prevent injury... Also, I've learned to listen to my body, and if I was warming up on squats and something hurt my knee, I'd turn it into a shoulder day or something and give my knee some rest rather than make things worse. Good luck!
    E-Pharm Nutrition Representative
  14. Registered User
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,440
    Rep Power
    5913431

    I disagree with a lot of the advice here. People are assuming your self-diagnosis of a knee/joint/bone issue is correct. Far, far more common knee injuries include ligament ruptures, meniscus tears, bursitis, and tendonous strains at the distal points of attachment (Gerdy's tubercle, pes anserine, etc). I'd definitely see a physician and have an X-ray or MRI done so that you know what you're actually treating. For instance, medial meniscus injuries will never heal without surgery...you could be sitting there doing RICE for the rest of your life.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  15. Registered User
    truthornothin's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,117
    Rep Power
    26981

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I disagree with a lot of the advice here. People are assuming your self-diagnosis of a knee/joint/bone issue is correct. Far, far more common knee injuries include ligament ruptures, meniscus tears, bursitis, and tendonous strains at the distal points of attachment (Gerdy's tubercle, pes anserine, etc). I'd definitely see a physician and have an X-ray or MRI done so that you know what you're actually treating. For instance, medial meniscus injuries will never heal without surgery...you could be sitting there doing RICE for the rest of your life.
    I do believe I did say see a doctor
    that being said see a doctor and practice RICE take care of it and don't do it further damage
    I have learned the hard way that even though we don't like to go, sometimes doctors visits are necessary
    E-PHARM Nutrition Representative
    Better one ugly truth than a million pretty lies
    Check Out Ur-Spray and D-Serine at Prototype Nutrition



  16. Registered User
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,440
    Rep Power
    5913431

    Quote Originally Posted by truthornothin View Post
    I do believe I did say see a doctor

    I have learned the hard way that even though we don't like to go, sometimes doctors visits are necessary
    I wasn't calling anyone out specifically, just saying that self-diagnosis and treatment is not the way to go.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  17. Registered User
    muad33b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    38
    Posts
    115
    Rep Power
    2633

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I wasn't calling anyone out specifically, just saying that self-diagnosis and treatment is not the way to go.
    Well, one needs to do a certain amount to evaluate initial care... if it's a dull muscular pain during contraction, that's certainly different then a sharp joint paint at rest... Short of a clear break or inability to put any weight on a knee (and OP was able to squat a PR after the problem), initially the proper thing when realizing you've over done it, is to stop using the injured muscle/joint (Rest), and get the initial inflammation down (Ice + Ibuprofen), wrapping it if applicable (Compression) and putting it up (Elevation) to see how things feel with reduced swelling... To this, I always add a nice Joint Force treatment with some saran wrap and then re-evaluate.

    My Chiro/PT guy has said that "the difference between a strain and a sprain is a strain only hurts when you move it, and a sprain hurts all the time"... I've also noticed that with I would consider a "minor injury" (I can still move it full range of motion, put some weight on it, but it "just doesn't feel happy") if it doesn't get significantly better after 4 days, it's something where I probably should get it checked out (I go to my Chiro/PT guy first to get him to evaluate it) if I want to stay in the game. I think too often, folks try to train injured, and don't listen to their bodies, and end up with more severe injuries.

    But to concede some of the point you've made to a certain extent, self-diagnosis is somewhat only as effective as the individual is educated. We really don't have enough information to even begin an evaluation, so generic advice is all we can give really.
    E-Pharm Nutrition Representative
  18. Registered User
    thyrod's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,302
    Rep Power
    74236

    I hit legs today but stayed light and no squats. It's a bit better but gonna give it till next week to squat again. And this time keep my wraps on for all weigh above 275.
  19. Registered User
    muad33b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    38
    Posts
    115
    Rep Power
    2633

    Quote Originally Posted by thyrod View Post
    I hit legs today but stayed light and no squats. It's a bit better but gonna give it till next week to squat again. And this time keep my wraps on for all weigh above 275.
    When my heavy set was 405, I wrapped at 315 and above (I usually only add full plates on squats), now that my heavy set is 495, I wrap at 405 and above... I guess what I'm saying is when you get above your "warmup" weight, if you have had issues with your knees, I agree it behooves you to wrap.
    E-Pharm Nutrition Representative
  20. Registered User
    truthornothin's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,117
    Rep Power
    26981

    Quote Originally Posted by muad33b View Post
    When my heavy set was 405, I wrapped at 315 and above (I usually only add full plates on squats), now that my heavy set is 495, I wrap at 405 and above... I guess what I'm saying is when you get above your "warmup" weight, if you have had issues with your knees, I agree it behooves you to wrap.
    I am going to have to start wrapping, I wish some one would develop and alternative knee wrap. It takes too long to go round and round and then remove and repeat every set .....Yeah, Yeah, I know quit your whining
    E-PHARM Nutrition Representative
    Better one ugly truth than a million pretty lies
    Check Out Ur-Spray and D-Serine at Prototype Nutrition



  21. Registered User
    muad33b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    38
    Posts
    115
    Rep Power
    2633

    Quote Originally Posted by truthornothin View Post
    I am going to have to start wrapping, I wish some one would develop and alternative knee wrap. It takes too long to go round and round and then remove and repeat every set .....Yeah, Yeah, I know quit your whining
    Actually, I'm going to go ahead and whine with you, it's a PITA to wrap, and I always feel like I end up with the wrap either a little too high or a little too low on my knee... I think it's time for me to buy some longer wraps, I've been using the same ones for years; I'm gonna go order some right now... see a pretty good selection at: hxxp://xxx.prowriststraps.com/knee_wrap_powerlifting_knee_wr ap_exercise_weight_lifting
    E-Pharm Nutrition Representative
  22. Registered User
    thyrod's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,302
    Rep Power
    74236

    I think wen I get home ill join you. And yeah I always feel as f I wrap wrong. It's never feels quit perfect. And honestly taking off wraps is the most dredging part. It's like **** I just lifted a lot and now I gotta do this little tediase unwrapping.
  23. Registered User
    thyrod's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,302
    Rep Power
    74236

    How do you guys wrap? Just straight up or cross it on the back of the knee/top.
  24. Registered User
    muad33b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    38
    Posts
    115
    Rep Power
    2633

    Quote Originally Posted by thyrod View Post
    How do you guys wrap? Just straight up or cross it on the back of the knee/top.
    I just wrap straight, and in looking around at it, it appears I've been wrapping top to bottom, when most are wrapping bottom to top. I'm ordering longer wraps, and when I get them in, I may experiment with different methods, bottom to top, cross cross, etc... there's a video here with a few different techniques:

    hxxp://xxx.prowriststraps.com/how_to_wrap_knees_how_to_use_k nee_wraps
    E-Pharm Nutrition Representative
  25. Registered User
    truthornothin's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,117
    Rep Power
    26981

    Quote Originally Posted by muad33b View Post
    I just wrap straight, and in looking around at it, it appears I've been wrapping top to bottom, when most are wrapping bottom to top. I'm ordering longer wraps, and when I get them in, I may experiment with different methods, bottom to top, cross cross, etc... there's a video here with a few different techniques:

    hxxp://xxx.prowriststraps.com/how_to_wrap_knees_how_to_use_k nee_wraps
    I wrap the same way, I tend to wrap too tightly and I tend to gen too much wrap below the knee
    E-PHARM Nutrition Representative
    Better one ugly truth than a million pretty lies
    Check Out Ur-Spray and D-Serine at Prototype Nutrition



  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Squating problems b/c of knee & other problems - help
    By gettin'old in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-15-2011, 01:25 PM
  2. reconstructive knee surgery tommorow
    By institutional in forum General Chat
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 12:00 PM
  3. Glucosamine for Knees Evidence Builds
    By DarCSA in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-01-2003, 02:40 AM
  4. Egad - Help: Chicken Legs B/c Of Bad Knees!!
    By gettin'old in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-28-2002, 10:37 AM
  5. How do I fix these bodyparts?
    By bigbadboss101 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-03-2002, 01:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in