Fixing a knee

thyrod

thyrod

Awards
Alright so the yesterday I was warming up with 135 for squats. Hurt my knee, it hurts wen I go deep but other then that all was fine, decided to buck through it and got my 365x2 pr. And now today my knees a little messed up just really umcomftable. I've been taking cissus and fish oil and orange triad multi, anything else ya think I can add in?

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No supplement is gonna magically heal it. Ice and rest.

uvawahoowa

Awards
More in the term of aid/strengthen
You can't strengthen a joint, only the muscles around it.

I feel you on that though, I have a cyst in my knee that causes bad pain when it gets inflamed. It's all about being preventative with injuries. Ice and rest until it feels better, add heat when you think the inflammation is gone

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
Alright so the yesterday I was warming up with 135 for squats. Hurt my knee, it hurts wen I go deep but other then that all was fine, decided to buck through it and got my 365x2 pr. And now today my knees a little messed up just really umcomftable. I've been taking cissus and fish oil and orange triad multi, anything else ya think I can add in?
I doubt any supplement is gonna help. Where's the pain exactly?

Go with RICE for now. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
Give Jointforce a try, it will give immediate pain relief, It acts as a local anti inflammatory. So the the relief goes directly to the source of the pain and doesn't cause the issues that systemic anti inflammatory use can cause. It can even help heal the injury by locally reducing inflammation. That being said see a doctor and practice RICE take care of it and don't do it further damage

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think everything has been said I'd see a doctor if pain persist after RICE.

thyrod

thyrod

Awards
Thanks y'all, kinda sad considering each week my squat has been going up recently. It just feels weird sitting and what by and it's mostly the right side and down a little. Sorry I can't really tell ya much because I aint no genius. Today benching was kind of a bitch because I could put my pressure on my right leg to aid in balance. But yeah just gonna quit cardio and possible take next week off of legs. I approciate all the advice and was applyed some voltaren gel. And yes I know it's terrible Stuff but it helped.
Thanks again.

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
Thanks y'all, kinda sad considering each week my squat has been going up recently. It just feels weird sitting and what by and it's mostly the right side and down a little. Sorry I can't really tell ya much because I aint no genius. Today benching was kind of a bitch because I could put my pressure on my right leg to aid in balance. But yeah just gonna quit cardio and possible take next week off of legs. I approciate all the advice and was applyed some voltaren gel. And yes I know it's terrible Stuff but it helped.
Thanks again.
Having to miss workouts sucks, but if you push it you could end up out of the gym for a long time. Just take a week off and use it to de-load and rest. You are already taking solid joint supps, so I wouldn't add anything else in.

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
Having to miss workouts sucks, but if you push it you could end up out of the gym for a long time. Just take a week off and use it to de-load and rest. You are already taking solid joint supps, so I wouldn't add anything else in.
very good advice, advice I should have taken many times myself. I tore my bicep off the bone after knowing there was an issue with my arm for months. It was a 6 month rehab process even a six week layoff would have been preferable you don't wanna wind up like this

061709_1451[00].jpg

muad33b

muad33b

Awards
Yea, I'm going to echo what has been said by others. RICE and JointForce. In fact, what I like to do is combine heavy JF applications and ice, since lots of JF causes a "burning" sensation, and the ice is cold, so you get this icy-hot effect. But that said, if the pain persists without dropping off dramatically after 4 days, you'll probably need an MRI. Also worth mentioning, that then I go heavy, I use knee wraps, as I have beat the crap outta my knees over the years, and I believe these help to prevent injury... Also, I've learned to listen to my body, and if I was warming up on squats and something hurt my knee, I'd turn it into a shoulder day or something and give my knee some rest rather than make things worse. Good luck!

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I disagree with a lot of the advice here. People are assuming your self-diagnosis of a knee/joint/bone issue is correct. Far, far more common knee injuries include ligament ruptures, meniscus tears, bursitis, and tendonous strains at the distal points of attachment (Gerdy's tubercle, pes anserine, etc). I'd definitely see a physician and have an X-ray or MRI done so that you know what you're actually treating. For instance, medial meniscus injuries will never heal without surgery...you could be sitting there doing RICE for the rest of your life.

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
I disagree with a lot of the advice here. People are assuming your self-diagnosis of a knee/joint/bone issue is correct. Far, far more common knee injuries include ligament ruptures, meniscus tears, bursitis, and tendonous strains at the distal points of attachment (Gerdy's tubercle, pes anserine, etc). I'd definitely see a physician and have an X-ray or MRI done so that you know what you're actually treating. For instance, medial meniscus injuries will never heal without surgery...you could be sitting there doing RICE for the rest of your life.
I do believe I did say see a doctor
that being said see a doctor and practice RICE take care of it and don't do it further damage
I have learned the hard way that even though we don't like to go, sometimes doctors visits are necessary

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I do believe I did say see a doctor

I have learned the hard way that even though we don't like to go, sometimes doctors visits are necessary
I wasn't calling anyone out specifically, just saying that self-diagnosis and treatment is not the way to go.

muad33b

muad33b

Awards
I wasn't calling anyone out specifically, just saying that self-diagnosis and treatment is not the way to go.
Well, one needs to do a certain amount to evaluate initial care... if it's a dull muscular pain during contraction, that's certainly different then a sharp joint paint at rest... Short of a clear break or inability to put any weight on a knee (and OP was able to squat a PR after the problem), initially the proper thing when realizing you've over done it, is to stop using the injured muscle/joint (Rest), and get the initial inflammation down (Ice + Ibuprofen), wrapping it if applicable (Compression) and putting it up (Elevation) to see how things feel with reduced swelling... To this, I always add a nice Joint Force treatment with some saran wrap and then re-evaluate.

My Chiro/PT guy has said that "the difference between a strain and a sprain is a strain only hurts when you move it, and a sprain hurts all the time"... I've also noticed that with I would consider a "minor injury" (I can still move it full range of motion, put some weight on it, but it "just doesn't feel happy") if it doesn't get significantly better after 4 days, it's something where I probably should get it checked out (I go to my Chiro/PT guy first to get him to evaluate it) if I want to stay in the game. I think too often, folks try to train injured, and don't listen to their bodies, and end up with more severe injuries.

But to concede some of the point you've made to a certain extent, self-diagnosis is somewhat only as effective as the individual is educated. We really don't have enough information to even begin an evaluation, so generic advice is all we can give really.

thyrod

thyrod

Awards
I hit legs today but stayed light and no squats. It's a bit better but gonna give it till next week to squat again. And this time keep my wraps on for all weigh above 275.

muad33b

muad33b

Awards
I hit legs today but stayed light and no squats. It's a bit better but gonna give it till next week to squat again. And this time keep my wraps on for all weigh above 275.
When my heavy set was 405, I wrapped at 315 and above (I usually only add full plates on squats), now that my heavy set is 495, I wrap at 405 and above... I guess what I'm saying is when you get above your "warmup" weight, if you have had issues with your knees, I agree it behooves you to wrap.

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
When my heavy set was 405, I wrapped at 315 and above (I usually only add full plates on squats), now that my heavy set is 495, I wrap at 405 and above... I guess what I'm saying is when you get above your "warmup" weight, if you have had issues with your knees, I agree it behooves you to wrap.
I am going to have to start wrapping, I wish some one would develop and alternative knee wrap. It takes too long to go round and round and then remove and repeat every set .....Yeah, Yeah, I know quit your whining :)

muad33b

muad33b

Awards
I am going to have to start wrapping, I wish some one would develop and alternative knee wrap. It takes too long to go round and round and then remove and repeat every set .....Yeah, Yeah, I know quit your whining :)
Actually, I'm going to go ahead and whine with you, it's a PITA to wrap, and I always feel like I end up with the wrap either a little too high or a little too low on my knee... I think it's time for me to buy some longer wraps, I've been using the same ones for years; I'm gonna go order some right now... see a pretty good selection at: hxxp://xxx.prowriststraps.com/knee_wrap_powerlifting_knee_wrap_exercise_weight_lifting

thyrod

thyrod

Awards
I think wen I get home ill join you. And yeah I always feel as f I wrap wrong. It's never feels quit perfect. And honestly taking off wraps is the most dredging part. It's like **** I just lifted a lot and now I gotta do this little tediase unwrapping.

thyrod

thyrod

Awards
How do you guys wrap? Just straight up or cross it on the back of the knee/top.

muad33b

muad33b

Awards
How do you guys wrap? Just straight up or cross it on the back of the knee/top.
I just wrap straight, and in looking around at it, it appears I've been wrapping top to bottom, when most are wrapping bottom to top. I'm ordering longer wraps, and when I get them in, I may experiment with different methods, bottom to top, cross cross, etc... there's a video here with a few different techniques:

hxxp://xxx.prowriststraps.com/how_to_wrap_knees_how_to_use_knee_wraps

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
I just wrap straight, and in looking around at it, it appears I've been wrapping top to bottom, when most are wrapping bottom to top. I'm ordering longer wraps, and when I get them in, I may experiment with different methods, bottom to top, cross cross, etc... there's a video here with a few different techniques:

hxxp://xxx.prowriststraps.com/how_to_wrap_knees_how_to_use_knee_wraps
I wrap the same way, I tend to wrap too tightly and I tend to gen too much wrap below the knee