Votes: 99 13.4%
  • Soy + Whey

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • Other, please state.

Votes: 43 5.8%

• Total voters

Jaymus

Awards
I went to a local health food store today and was amazed at how many different kinds of proteins and combinations are out. From milk to egg and everything in between I am making this poll to see what everyone's opinions are. My choice was egg and whey protein mixed with soy milk for a protein shake. So what do you guys prefer?​

Really is there a big different between the protein powders such as soy, milk, egg, whey, etc? Like what does egg powder have over soy and vise versa? Is there really a best kind of protein out there? For a protein shake like I said before I mix a scoop of GNC's "Egg & Whey Protein" with a glass of soy milk so I can getting the benefits of all three. I was going to buy GNC's "Soy & Whey Protein" but I thought I would kill two birds with one stone by buying the egg and whey mix and adding in my own soy. What are your opinions?

Last edited:
T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I went to a local health food store today and was amazed at how many different kinds of proteins and combinations are out. From milk to egg and everything in between I am making this poll to see what everyone's opinions are. My choice was egg and whey protein mixed with soy milk for a protein shake. So what do you guys prefer?​

Really is there a big different between the protein powders such as soy, milk, egg, whey, etc? Like what does egg powder have over soy and vise versa? Is there really a best kind of protein out there? For a protein shake like I said before I mix a scoop of GNC's "Egg & Whey Protein" with a glass of soy milk so I can getting the benefits of all three. I was going to buy GNC's "Soy & Whey Protein" but I thought I would kill two birds with one stone by buying the egg and whey mix and adding in my own soy. What are your opinions?

You need to go out and get some reading material on nutrition. You should know the difference, and by the way- **** GNC!

Jaymus

Awards
Thanks buddy?

The only reason why I went to GNC is because everything is 20% off now...

You don't have to be all negative man. :nono:

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
20% off doesn't make a difference when everything at GNC is marked up 200% for profit and commisions!. I don't mean to be negative, just getting a point across.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
1. DON'T buy at GNC. Anything else is acceptable. Except MuscleTech products.

2. Research protein types and specific benefits; they all have different microfractions, and are used for different purposes. Whey is fast, use it pre/post workout. Egg is just solid, medium-absorbtion rate, good for variety. Caesin and casseinate are slow, good for night time especially. Soy is generally lower grade and nutrient profile, but fine for variety and as a non-dairy alternative. Mixtures are great. Much more info is out there. And next time, even if you get jammed up looking for a supp store, if you see the big red GNC logo, just back away, go into the grocery store next door, and buy yourself a can of tuna. You'll be glad you did.

Jaymus

Awards
A little Information

Inexpensive, easy to flavor, mixes well, good-quality protein with full complement of essential amino acids
Absorbed more quickly than some other proteins, which may mean that all of it won't be used for growth and repair, especially if you don't consume it with other food to slow things down
Called a "time-released" protein because it moves through the body slower, providing more opportunity for the protein to be used for growth/repair; good amino acid profile
Not very soluble, somewhat of an undesirable taste
Has many health benefits including cholesterol reduction and possible preventive effects on certain cancers. Great protein for lactose tolerance and to replace flour in cooking
There is debate over soy's protein quality; some say it's equivalent to animal protein, others disagree
  • Milk Protein
Low cost, good amino acid profile
Contains lactose; can cause bloating & gas, some prefer a higher amount of whey, basing that belief somewhat on the ratio contained in human milk (over time, about equal amounts of casein and whey)
Great amino acid profile; "nature's perfect protein"
Cost, can cause gas & bloating
If taken from a cow within 48 hours after her calf is born, contains bioactive fractions that may be beneficial
Few solid research studies

Lich

Banned
Awards
Whey protein is the most standard protein for Anabolic purposes. It tastest good (Can be flavored well anyway) and provides substansial basic muscle building qualities. I also like to get EGG protein because it absorbs much slower, and is a whole different protein, so its nice to have more. I also get reg milk protein. Great combo.

size

Awards
  • Established
I will use everything and just about anything as a source of protein. For powders, I like whey and casein.

For affordable and high quality protein, go to www.allthewhey.com

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
I will use everything and just about anything as a source of protein. For powders, I like whey and casein.

For affordable and high quality protein, go to www.allthewhey.com

How does ATW taste compared to BSL? Has anyone used both companies and provded feedback? I always bought from BSL but they don't have a website for this anymore.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
How does ATW taste compared to BSL? Has anyone used both companies and provded feedback? I always bought from BSL but they don't have a website for this anymore.
It tastes about as good as your beef puree pappy.

On a serious note, nothing beats BSL's flavoring but I'd liken ATW to somewhere in tha middle between Optimum (Quik-esk) & EAS Simply Protein (Myopro) (cold sugar-free hot chocolate) if that gives any indication :think:

SwoleT

Awards
why such this diss for GNC. i mean i dont buy THIER products but if i need some vitamins or need some protein quick ill pick up some optimum whey from there store

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I usualy go with a meal replacement powder. I like prolab's lean mass matrix.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
whey shakes(1st meal of the day and postraining).....other usuallu just from real food

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
20% off doesn't make a difference when everything at GNC is marked up 200% for profit and commisions!. I don't mean to be negative, just getting a point across.
Bro, GNC is no different than other company.

Glutamine retails for what? around $45-$50 USD per 1000 grams?

RAW cost of glutamine from the manufacturer is about $0.075 per gram. That 1000 gram bottle you're buying costs $7.50 but retails $45-$50.

They're all equally bad.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
I suppport board sponsors, have made purchases from ATW, and have found their product and service to be great. However, I was in Costco the other day and they had Pro Rated whey, 5lbs for $19.99. The make up I believe was 22 grams per serving, with 90 servings in the container, sweetened with Splenda. Seemed like a good price, so I picked up a tub of vanilla flavor to add in my smoothies. Any bro's here try this brand? If so, how did you find it to be?

biggjohn

Banned
Awards
I was in a pinch this week when I ran out of whey so I just got EAS Advant Edge Whey 6lbs. for $23 at BJ's wholesale club (equivalent to Costco). Mixes like hell, and doesn't taste very good. My next purchase will be from ATW.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You do know you can get ON 5lbers for $30 at Vitamin Shoppe, right? ;)

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Shameless plug. You working on commision Pete? :D
Actually, I did at Vitamin World.. :D

VS is better, everything's on sale so no need to a big 2-day event.. People come in and buy more than they need, it's that cheap, and I'm that good a salesperson.. ;)

BTW, anyone in the Newton Ma. area will soon have a Vitamin Shoppe to go to, and don't be suprised if I happen to be running the store.. :thumbsup:

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
I worked at the vitamine shoppe, we had coupons lying around in the back all the time that we would give to people we liked or anyone who was smart enough to ask for it. usually they were like spend 50 get 10 off or something. ask next time you go.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I worked at the vitamine shoppe, we had coupons lying around in the back all the time that we would give to people we liked or anyone who was smart enough to ask for it. usually they were like spend 50 get 10 off or something. ask next time you go.
Yeah, we have a flyer at the counter we use to give certain customers (ie, hot chicks) the $10 off.. ;)

They're changing the labels so the products show the sale price, not the MSRP.. Makes it easy, so now I don't have to repeat the price of ON's 100% Whey 5lbers ($30.79 before tax) :D

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
from what i hear optimum makes most of gnc's pro performance line so stick to optimum if anyway...whats wrong with matrix 5.0?..lol..i was thinking of buying it and only heard toad's review which i dont agree that optimums whey tast like quik more like a old wet paper bag :p

neckcrank

Awards
I do like All The Whey's orange mix, but Dymatize's Elite Whey wins hands down especially the orange dreamsicle, green apple, and chocolate mint.

For price, taste, mixability, flavor selections, and quality no one can touch Elite Whey.

NC

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
I've used ON's chocolate flavor and I agree with the paper bag comment. Had the usual whey after taste. It also gave me some gas. As for costco's brand the taste was worse than ON's and it gave me lots of gas, but cheap, though you can get ON's for ~$25/5lb tub. As for Syntrax Matrix 5.0 it's by far the best tasting bargain proteins I've had. No gas and no after taste, this stuff rocks and for about the same price as ON.

As far as mixibility the costco brand required I use a blender, ON mixed decently with a spoon but a few clumps left behind. I found a shaker worked best. As for Matrix it mixed easily with a spoon, so for reasons listed above I'm quite partial to it.

Last edited:

Twin Peak

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Casien (bedtime) and whey (the rest of the time) is pretty much all you *need*. Anything else is just for cost/taste/ease.

sonicbum

Awards
i like whey and egg first thing in the morning. whey right after a workout. and egg right before i go to bed.

TravTriggz

Awards
if ur a guy dont drink soy protein shakes....
it increases estragen levels

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
i like allthewheys unflavored protien blend. hell, you can mix it in a pina colada for a PWO shake!

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
BigPete, how soon til their is a store in Newton, and where will it be located? I'm living right in your backyard.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
BigPete, how soon til their is a store in Newton, and where will it be located? I'm living right in your backyard.
I believe the store opened this past Wednesday.. I'm waiting for the next store to open, or I'll end up on management at my store.. :thumbsup:

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
i like allthewheys unflavored protien blend. hell, you can mix it in a pina colada for a PWO shake!

Really? I didn't have very good luck with it. Mixed in water, juice milk. All of it tasted pretty damn bad. Their vanilla was also pretty harsh. But I'll give them credit they made sure I was happy by the time I was done w/ them. They have damn good customer service.

I LOVE choc isopure. Yes its pricey but I've never tasted a better protein...even when mixed w/ water.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
what is the name brand of isopure?

i buy vp2 and it cost me about eighty dollars a month.I only work partime
ten tp fifteen hours a week. i also have a car payment and insurance but this info is beside the point anyways...ive chjeck out allthewheys prices and i like wpi hyrolyzed because my stomach is weak at digesting wpc. Since imon the run for shcool in the morning i take a wpi hydrolyed.my question is is allthewheys taste worth it?

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
its made by Natures Best. I get the 8lb bucket for $75. Lasts ~2 months depending on my current diet. Best part is that it tastes like chocolate Quick even in water. I'm a poor college kid (rent kills my bank acct) not to mention too lazy to go to the store sometimes for milk so this stuff works great for me!

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Haven't tried BSL, but ATW is SUPER SUPER sweet. I can't handle it, it's too much for me. The chocolate is especially sweet, with the brand I normally use I mix more whey than milk in my shakes and it's no problem - with ATW I need to take about a 3:1 milk:whey ratio.

big_D

Awards
champion chocolate ...even in water taste like nestle quick !...

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I believe the store opened this past Wednesday.. I'm waiting for the next store to open, or I'll end up on management at my store.. :thumbsup:
Let me know if you end up working there bigpete. I live in that area

merllin_2000

Awards
I really like the atw choc. I have only mixed it with milk but it taste great! I also like the myoplex mrs. cause they are easy to travel with.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
here's what i'm liking now

muscle milk +
micellar casein +
nonfat dry milk powder +
creatine +
yeast +
creatine +
glutamine +
bcaa's

if i had any pasteurized egg whites international egg whites left, i would add that, too

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I feel sorry for those who buy at GNC

Most of the time they make huge markdowns is because the stuff is like five months away from expiration. Which means its anywhere from one to five years old!

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Hey, I just ordered a few 1 lbers of protein from true protein to try out different combos. Anyways, who's dealt with this company before? Like or Dislike? I like the thought of customizing your own protein.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Got my protein from true protein today. Not bad at all, but I see why packaging is free. They're packed in a plastic bag tied off with a ziptie. Make sure you have extra empty protein containers. Shipping took about a week coast to coast. Next I'll probably try unflavored isolate along with a few different flavoring packs. I'm growing tired of chocolate.

biggjohn

Banned
Awards
Got my protein from true protein today. Not bad at all, but I see why packaging is free. They're packed in a plastic bag tied off with a ziptie. Make sure you have extra empty protein containers. Shipping took about a week coast to coast. Next I'll probably try unflavored isolate along with a few different flavoring packs. I'm growing tired of chocolate.
Cool, let us know how you like that. I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

RMT

Board Supporter
Awards
Got my protein from true protein today....
Nategogg,

Did you get the aminogen stuff that they offer with their protein? I tried finding info of aminogen on their site and couldn't find any. Just wondered if you opted for it in your stuff and what you think of it.

Thanks
RMT

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Natedogg,

Did you get the aminogen stuff that they offer with their protein? I tried finding info of aminogen on their site and couldn't find any. Just wondered if you opted for it in your stuff and what you think of it.

Thanks
RMT
Yeah I did. I'll have to get back to you on the rest. Still waiting for a response from Doug on what exactly it is. As soon as I know, you'll know.

On a sidenote. I ordered some unflavored isolate along with some grape and fruit punch flavor packs. Should arrive next week. As soon as it arrives I'll start a new TP flavor packet thread or something.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Here's the reply from Doug who is part owner of tp.com.

"aminogen is an enzyme called protease. it is supposed to aid in the digestion of protein. it will not effect the taste of the protein at all.

thanks,
doug"

Now I'm not so sure 70 cents a lb is worth adding the aminogen, especially when your as cheap as me. Here's a little write up on protease if you care. http://www.greenwoodhealth.net/np/protease.htm

RMT

Board Supporter
Awards
Thanks for the info, Natedogg

Been using Beverly MP for awhile now and when I look around at the Bulkpowder prices you start wondering about trying to save a couple bucks. So now I'm actively trying to find a spot to order.

I might have to consider the aminogen option when I put an order in.

Let us know what you think of the stuff, now that it's come in.

RMT

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info, Natedogg

Been using Beverly MP for awhile now and when I look around at the Bulkpowder prices you start wondering about trying to save a couple bucks. So now I'm actively trying to find a spot to order.

I might have to consider the aminogen option when I put an order in.

Let us know what you think of the stuff, now that it's come in.

RMT
You can save tons of money buying through them. Trust me, I've run numbers over and over. After price you have to consider taste. I don't know about you but I can't use something over and over again if it tastes like ass, no matter how good it is for me. I love muscle milk, but damn it if the price per serving weren't so friggin high to use on a consistant basis. Anyways, the stuff I did recieve. First I got a combonation of whey proteins chocolate flavored. Taste was good. At this point I'm kind of tired of chocolate, but it was alright. Then I got a mix of WPC, Casein, and MPI in choclate as well. Naturally this one was a little thicker, but the taste was actually better than the whey blend. Lastly, I got a Casein, MPI, and Egg blend. I also threw in some MCT's and Flax. This one smelled foul (the flax smell really takes over), but again it didn't taste all that bad. I've come to the conclusion now that I'm going to stick to unflavored isolate and buy the flavor packs seperately. Hopefully that'll go over well. If I want to slow down absorbtion I can throw in some oats or flax. If I want to use it post workout, then I can buy the dextrose/malto mix and add it to the isolate myself. BTW, RMT, if and when you buy don't forget to use my discount code below. A little savings is better than no savings.

RMT

Board Supporter
Awards
Thanks for the info on the discount code. I'll use it when I order with them.

Beverly MP's taste, to me, is awesome. But looking at TrueProtein's offerings is tempting me. I'm going to probably start out with the WPI Ion-Exchange and some of their Night time/ middle of the night mix. I was using ISS Micellar matrix and it took a little getting used to (super grainy texture) but it wasn't too bad, I'd buy it again. I think I've just gotten to used to Beverly. But I'm willing to try TPs stuff and see if it's time for a change.

Thanks again for the info and the discount code.

RMT.