I'm 17, senior in highschool, weighin a ****ty 135. help me gain some weight

Mike Monto

Awards
l weigh 135, and have been lifting for about a year and a half. Sophomore year i was a chubby kid at around 140, dropped down to 115 or so, and now im back up at 135-ish. I am 5'4". I know diet is everything, and i've been eating as clean as possible, i'm just looking for lifting exercises/tips/supplements and other things that will help me get bigger faster. It's senior year, i need to get ready for college.

This is not to say that im some scrawny kid, i put up 165 for 8 and all my lifts are good for my weight, i'm cut, and i am pretty sure i know how to lift, just not sure how to gain weight.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
You need to eat if you want to gain. You might be worrying too much about eatting clean. I don't know if you're prone to gaining fat, but if you want to put weight on you need excess calories.

Mike Monto

Awards
i'm pretty prone to getting fat. And i just dont feel like getting fat again before i can get big. i mean, thats probably the only way, but i'm hoping there's some other method that would allow me to quickly put on lean mass

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Well muscle synthesis only works so fast unfortunetly. A proper diet can help you put on weight as fast as possible, but your muscle can only grow so fast.

ConcreteConny

ConcreteConny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was at the same situation you are right now except I was 16 I think. I was annoyed as hell and gave my father lectures on how I wanna get big faster. And he told me the exact same things Killerkanadia told you. The only thing he got me was a weight gainer (Mammoth 4000 I think it was.)

I must admit I ate a ton of everything in sight and the extra shakes. I dunno how much calories I got per day but it was PLENTY! In 2 years I was 190lbs with some fat but it was neccessary and I don't regret it.

//CC

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I say try to eat as much as possible and add a weight gainer. I believe is called serious mass by optimum nutrition. They good..Remember patients is key. Just work hard and eat a lot and u will eventually get there trust me....
You can take creatine as well it'll put about 5 lbs on u

ntornado

Awards
Some good advice in here. Most people who struggled to put on weight don't really grasp how much food you really need to eat to get big.

Also ask yourself how much cardio are you doing? Pick up basketball games perhaps?

This could effect your ability to gain weight.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
At 17 you have all the physio make up to make some serious lean gains.

Since GH is high right now as well, it will be hard to gain fat... so soak up the calories.

Test is high so the muscle will pack on with regard to the amount of calories you soak up. Keep it as clean as possible.

Go get some simple creatine monohydrate, nothing fancy. Stay away from other supplements, you don't want to inadvertently take anything that will modulate your hormones and close your growth plates early.

Now.... lets see your training regiment.

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
doing homework and studying helps you put on muscle

no, no but seriously the best thing to do is workout like crazy and eat a sh1t load

...everyone is gonna tell you the same thing, that you should eat a sh1t load of food, cuz that the only way to do it

wolverines

wolverines

Awards
  • Established
Eat lean protein sources (steaks, chicken breasts, tuna, fish, whole eggs etc)
Some good carb sources (Oatmeal, brown rice, vegetables, whole wheat pasta, wheat bread)
And lastly you have your fats (Peanut butter, olive oil, etc)

I wish I could go back to high school with the knowledge I have now. Eating healthy is 90% of it.

As far as your training goes, make sure you TRAIN YOUR LEGS HARD! Squats and deadlifts are king.

Many young guys think benching and curls are gona get them the physique they want its simply not the case.

Good luck bro we're always here to help!

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
For a year and a half of training, I would say that youve made pretty good natural progress.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And no sex!!!! Jp hahahha

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
l weigh 135, and have been lifting for about a year and a half. Sophomore year i was a chubby kid at around 140, dropped down to 115 or so, and now im back up at 135-ish. I am 5'4". I know diet is everything, and i've been eating as clean as possible, i'm just looking for lifting exercises/tips/supplements and other things that will help me get bigger faster. It's senior year, i need to get ready for college.

This is not to say that im some scrawny kid, i put up 165 for 8 and all my lifts are good for my weight, i'm cut, and i am pretty sure i know how to lift, just not sure how to gain weight.
At 17 years old, you do not need any supplements but the Basic Staples (creatine, multivitamin/antioxidant, good fats, protein, and BCAAs) - at your weight, you can almost get all your good fats, protein, and BCAAs requirements from your diet. I don't recommend using anything else until you're older and have built up a solid training base. NUTRITION AND TRAINING are what are going to get you results.

If you want gains, then you need to eat enough for them, and no supplement is going to help you gain muscle if you're not eating for it, period! At your age NUTRITION and TRAINING are the two factors that you need to focus on. FOOD, FOOD, and MORE FOOD is going to be IMPORTANT - if you want muscle gains, you needs to EAT for it!

Next to nutrition for mass is training. You have to be training correctly for mass - check out the article How To Maximize Mass Through Weights And Adaptation for an idea of how to train correctly for mass. And although The Essential 8 is in the fat loss section, the same exercises that are best for fat loss are also the best for gaining muscle! You also need to NOT lift almost daily - your body NEEDS recovery, since it's in your RECOVERY that you GROW (if you are eating enough).

I recommend having a training programme (AND nutrition plan - can't forget your nutrition, since that's what is going to make or break your success with gaining muscle mass!) written specifically for YOU for your goals and needs. If you can't afford a professional trainer, then take some time out to research and look around, because there is a TON of information on training for mass!

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
At 17 you have all the physio make up to make some serious lean gains.

Since GH is high right now as well, it will be hard to gain fat... so soak up the calories.

Test is high so the muscle will pack on with regard to the amount of calories you soak up. Keep it as clean as possible.

Go get some simple creatine monohydrate, nothing fancy. Stay away from other supplements, you don't want to inadvertently take anything that will modulate your hormones and close your growth plates early.

Now.... lets see your training regiment.

this^^^ and Op don't feel bad about your weight you weigh more than me then I did in high school and probably more than me right now till this Boladrol kicks in:). but seriously you have alot of years to get in the shape you want and with the fact you only being 17 your right at the perfect time to do it as your hormones are in the perfect state.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
this^^^ and Op don't feel bad about your weight you weigh more than me then I did in high school and probably more than me right now till this Boladrol kicks in:). but seriously you have alot of years to get in the shape you want and with the fact you only being 17 your right at the perfect time to do it as your hormones are in the perfect state.
Im assuming most of the 20 pounds youve gained since you lost weight are muscle. That's pertty impressive if you ask me. A lot of guys on htis site need a prohormone everytime they wanna gain five pounds, so just keep training hard, and in a few years, you might have em beat, all while staying natural!

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Pictures please.

Jurassic

Jurassic

Awards
from my experience helping kids in my highschool similar to you. A 3x a week full body program with only the large compound exercises for the first ~6 months and then switching to an A, B 3x a week split has worked well...
My skinny buddy gained 35-40 lb's and stretch marks from doing just that. He started deadlifting 95lb's now he does 225 ( with absolutely NO interest in changing his diet).
Diet is important, but so long as you shoot for enough protein and eating enough calories you should be fine, let hunger be your guide.
Supplements are meh. Protein powder is convenient, creatine will help some, BCAA's maybe. Compound lifts are your friends...drop all the isolations.

muscl3s

muscl3s

Banned
Awards
  • Established
don't forget to drink your milk... as much as your body can tolerate... this will help add mass

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im assuming most of the 20 pounds youve gained since you lost weight are muscle. That's pertty impressive if you ask me. A lot of guys on htis site need a prohormone everytime they wanna gain five pounds, so just keep training hard, and in a few years, you might have em beat, all while staying natural!
This^^

I wish I had all this great advice and stuff when I was the Op's age.I just the basic 10,8,6 etc routine and was a ripped lil guy with a 8 pack and no neck cause of my shoulders being so big.ah the good ole days.

Rahl

Rahl

Awards
  • Established
from my experience helping kids in my highschool similar to you. A 3x a week full body program with only the large compound exercises for the first ~6 months and then switching to an A, B 3x a week split has worked well...
My skinny buddy gained 35-40 lb's and stretch marks from doing just that. He started deadlifting 95lb's now he does 225 ( with absolutely NO interest in changing his diet).
Diet is important, but so long as you shoot for enough protein and eating enough calories you should be fine, let hunger be your guide.
Supplements are meh. Protein powder is convenient, creatine will help some, BCAA's maybe. Compound lifts are your friends...drop all the isolations.
^^This right here is your guide. Do the big lifts and train only 3x a week. Give your body recovery time. Forget about the pec dec and get under the BB!

Mike Monto

Awards
I completely forgot that i made this post. thank you for all the responses. now...
My diet :
Before School - Protein Shake + Some type of carb (fruit, or eggs & wheat toast if there's time)
In school - 2 pb & j on wheat. fruit.
After School (2 30 PM) Whatevers in the fridge, today it was lunchmeat. I try to get protein in every meal but the its cupboard permitting.
530 - dinner, which is whatever my parents make.
Past that, its ussually not much. I try to eat every two to three hours if possible.

Workout regiment
For a while, i had been going 5 or 6 days a week, alternating to a new muscle each day. I was doing three exercises, with three sets of 8, increasing weight each set.

Lately though, i have been trying to go every other day, doing the doggcrap workout (brother in college suggested it) . I'm hoping some of you are familiar with the workout because its confusing to explain.

JCunningham

Banned
Awards
  • Established
At your height you wont have to eat much to gain a good amount of lean mass, especially if you have a slower metabolism.. Muscle gain should be easy for you. Just eat, eat and eat. Creatine supplementation, multi vitamin and whey after a wrokout is all you need.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
At your height you wont have to eat much to gain a good amount of lean mass, especially if you have a slower metabolism.. Muscle gain should be easy for you. Just eat, eat and eat. Creatine supplementation, multi vitamin and whey after a wrokout is all you need.
I dont think he has a slow metabolism, and i don't think he is used to eatting as much as he needs to grow either.

Same advice as before, eat more :food:

JCunningham

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I dont think he has a slow metabolism, and i don't think he is used to eatting as much as he needs to grow either.

Same advice as before, eat more :food:
Lol.. He would only need about 3000 calories a day to hit near 170.. And 170 at 5'4" is huge ROFL.. 3000 cals aint to much..

ConcreteConny

ConcreteConny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Mike Monto

Awards
hahaha alright, i'll start eating everything. post weight in four weeks.

ConcreteConny

ConcreteConny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
hahaha alright, i'll start eating everything. post weight in four weeks.
Looking forward to it :thumbsup: Eat big bruther! :food:

DinoTrainer

Awards
You are so young, like the others have said so far, that you should concentrate on your diet and training right now. Forget supps (except for high quality protein powder, fish oil, flax oil and vitamins,minerals and anti-oxidants).

For diet eat lots of high quality protein, carbs and fats. limit junk foods and drinks to a minimum. Make sure you eat lots of veggies and fruits and drink lots of water. You will be doing yourself a huge favor in life by doing this. It will keep you healthy through out your years as well as giving you all you need for your body to make muscle right now.

For training stick to the basics right now. Stick with squats, front squats, deadlifts, barbell rows, cleans, snatches, high pulls, pullups, standing overhead presses, dips, bench presses, incline bench presses, push ups and barbell curls. Work on getting respectable poundages in perfect form on these exercises. Think powerlifting, olympic lifting, strongman events and some calistenic work.

Forget isolation work right now like leg extensions, leg curls, laterals, extensions, concentration curls, flyes, pec dec (forget those forever to save your shoulders), crossovers etc. Dont even think of this work at all till you work upto at least a 300lb bench, 400lb squat and a +450lb deadlift, +200lb power clean and can overhead press at a minimum your bodyweight and can bang out some pullups and dips. And if you can bench more than you squat and/or deadlift, start concentrating on your squats and deads!!!