So I have Mono...not the Creatine kind

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
So just like the title says. After an absolutely vicious throat infection and losing the ability to speak I decided to go to the doctors this weekend. I find out after bloods come back that I have mono. I've been dealing with the throat and fatigue now for approx 3 weeks, so from what I've read I should be approaching the tail end of "the worst" of it all. For the next 3 to 4 weeks I'll be doing pretty much as little as possible. I've already spoke to my boss and have this Thursday, and the next two Wednesdays after that off to try and break work up a little bit, give myself a day in the middle of the week to essentially sleep and do nothing, and keep the stress low.

My question to you guys is are there any supplements (without getting too crazy) that may help keep up the immune system and help with the lethargy. I have all the fish oil a guy needs, I have a multi (some MVP and a full bottle of ADAM), have some Vitamin C.

I also have some unused Rhodiola from NOW, some TOCO-8, and some NO-Oxidant at my disposal. Would supplementing with either of the above 3 be of any benefit? Anything else that could help me out? I think I have some Glutamine as well (always worked for me :bigok:) that I will start taking.

Any suggestions (supplemental and non-supplemental) are very welcome. If you've had mono before, you know how harsh it can be. Looking for some help.

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
well man i feel for you, but the title made me laugh. anyways that sucks bro. but it looks like you have it covered that toco 8 has a bunch of anti's just keep taking those supps and eat nutritious food like vegetables and fruits

HumpTheCook

HumpTheCook

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah i think you basically got it covered. i would def use the toco
this is one of the few illnesses that you just cant suck it up and workout through it... make sure you take the tiem off you need and dont puch yourself, last thing you want is to rupture your spleen. but the first three weeks are the most serious.

good luck bro.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input. I guess I gotta try to keep a sense of humor through it. I mean...it's not like I'm dying lol, but it sucks nonetheless. One of my best friends is getting married in a little more than 3 weeks and I would really like to have one night of off the handle mayhem and not worry about. Hopefully I'll be through the toughest part of it by then.

HumpTheCook

HumpTheCook

Banned
Awards
  • Established
rest up and you should be bro. i went through it too.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
yeah i think you basically got it covered. i would def use the toco
this is one of the few illnesses that you just cant suck it up and workout through it... make sure you take the tiem off you need and dont puch yourself, last thing you want is to rupture your spleen. but the first three weeks are the most serious.

good luck bro.
Thanks dude. The doc said my liver and spleen values came back fine, so I'm thinking as long as I don't over exert myself I shouldn't have to worry about the spleen exlosion for much longer lol. I would just love to know when I can get back to being at least a little physical again. Even if it's jogging in the a.m., or doing some situps and pushups in the morning. Patience is not my strongest virtue, it will certainly be getting a good test these next couple weeks!

intheflesh

intheflesh

Awards
Bumping this thread but hopefully not sidetracking it too much -- I'm getting my bloodwork for mono done today - the strep throat test was negative. Assuming I do have mono, how does one preserve muscle mass when unable to work out for a month-ish and with a reduced appetite to boot? My throat is so sore that swallowing anything that's not the consistency of Jell-O makes me want to scream.

deadaim

Banned
Awards
  • Established
**** happened to me, could do anything for a month or talk for about 2 weeks ... :eek:

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
I think I'm really past the worst of it now. I lost a few lbs, but I really think the majority of that was before I was actually diagnosed with mono and my appetite was decreased. As soon as the doc gave me the official diagnosis I was eating (almost literally) all day.

Like the guys said above, no contact sports. I am going back to my doctor tomorrow and will ask him when I'm OK to exercise again and whatnot. That way I'll be able to maybe give you somewhat of a rough timeframe here, at least as all this pertained to my situation.

And yes...the throat is an absolute b*tch!!! I had no idea it could get that serious. When I first went to the docs, there were two in there checking me out, as soon as I opened my mouth and they looked back at my throat both couldn't believe how inflamed it was.

bomb402

Awards
Lots of raw goat milk homie. Your immune system/gut is weak.

intheflesh

intheflesh

Awards
What my doc mentioned about lifting was that it was completely fine, whenever I was feeling up to it energy-wise to go ahead; just to avoid dropping any barbells on my spleen. Contact sports are definitely out, however.

I have a new problem - my nose has been clogged for the last two nights, and sleeping with my mouth open (I think) has caused me to be completely unable to taste. A peanut butter sandwich tastes quite the same as meatloaf, the same as a tablespoon of salt. Anyone ever gotten this? How long does it last? :(

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Both my wife and have had it. I lost 20lbs when I had it. One of the most awful illnesses I've ever had.

Sounds like you have plenty of supplements. The only Thing I was thinking was ALCAR. I wish I new about the stuff when I had mono.

The ****'ed up part is, I think I had got it from the gym.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Both my wife and have had it. I lost 20lbs when I had it. One of the most awful illnesses I've ever had.

Sounds like you have plenty of supplements. The only Thing I was thinking was ALCAR. I wish I new about the stuff when I had mono.

The ****'ed up part is, I think I had got it from the gym.
Wow man, that's a lot of weight to go down. Someone at work just told me I look like I'm losing weight as well. Might have to increase the cals lol. I have some ALCAR on hand too. Were you thinking about this to combat the lethargy? Or some other reason?

I have no clue how I got it. Could have been from a bar. I recently started seeing a new girl (most likely the reason) which matches the time frame for the gestation period of the illness, and I spent 4 days in Tennessee at a music festival that could have played a part as well. I'm clueless lol.

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LOL
im still laughing at the title
you should have put i have ethyl ester
lol

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
LOL, well I'm glad that I could provide some humor for you today!

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
stop eating anything pro-inflammatory. ditch all grains and refined sugars

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
stop eating anything pro-inflammatory. ditch all grains and refined sugars
Definetely watching the refined sugars anyway, but grains are pro-inflammatory??

Edit: just reading this a little bit now. How pro-inflammatory are they? I know, especially here, that oatmeal is WIDELY used amongst "people like us"....everyday practically. I honestly don't know if I'm creative enough to fill in that void of essential (for me) morning carbs with something else. Any ideas lol? I will have to read a little further on this one. Do the benefits of a bowl of oatmeal a day outweight the risks in this situation?

Edit: Now I'm reading something about oats being anti-inflammatory.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Definetely watching the refined sugars anyway, but grains are pro-inflammatory??

Edit: just reading this a little bit now. How pro-inflammatory are they? I know, especially here, that oatmeal is WIDELY used amongst "people like us"....everyday practically. I honestly don't know if I'm creative enough to fill in that void of essential (for me) morning carbs with something else. Any ideas lol? I will have to read a little further on this one. Do the benefits of a bowl of oatmeal a day outweight the risks in this situation?

Edit: Now I'm reading something about oats being anti-inflammatory.
oh yeah grains anti-inflammatory? send that article my way..

they dont contain as much gluten as other grains but still have anti-nutrients. all the unecessary insoluble fiber just rips at your intestinal lining. plus there is no nutrition, oats contain no minerals or vitamins. trying to get rid of mono, eat some vegetables instead..at least they contain nutrients.